Change in how cumulative flow diagram is calculated? RRS feed

• Question

• I see a major change in my cumulative flow diagram that coincides with March 4th which was an upgrade date to TFS Service.  I didn't see anything specific to the diagram documented as being changed, but of course that is when customizable swim lanes showed up.  Any explanation for the major change (I have attached an image)? I don't think I did anything that would have caused it on my side (because it is so dramatic).  

Thanks,

Bryan

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 11:14 PM

Answers

• "We now know the cause:

This change in the CFD is actually caused by a bug being fixed, with the March 4, 2013 TFS Service update. (As well as the Dev11 VS Update 2)

Before: The CFD chart did not respect the team's backlog iteration path. In other words, it was actually counting ALL user stories assigned to the team's area paths, and not limiting to those assigned to the team's iteration path. This was wrong.

After: We now respect the team's iteration path, which means less stories are being counted than before, which is why you see the dip in the CFD chart. In in actuality, the new numbers are correct.

Of course, this all speaks to your statement that the CFD chart is not really useful. I’m guessing that’s the case, since the numbers were wrong before, and it didn’t matter.

We are working on a feature to allow you to entire a start-date for your CFD. Once we have this feature, you’ll be able to enter that date and the CFD chart will start drawing from here.

Hope this helps. Thanks,
    Gregg Boer"

Trevor Hancock (Microsoft)
    Please remember to "Mark As Answer" the replies that help.

Monday, May 20, 2013 8:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your post.

Do you want to know is there any change after 4/4 service maintenance? Or, do you want to how get the CFD? If i miss-understand anything, please free feel to let me know.

I do not find any information about Cumulative Flow Diagrams change after 4/4.

CFD shows how many topics are in each state for each day of the sprint. CFD is for whole team. About CFD, you can get more information from Using Cumulative Flow Diagrams in User Education.

Regards,

Lily Wu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, April 5, 2013 6:55 AM
  • Lily - I was wondering if there were any changes to how the CFD worked in the 4/4 release.  As you can see from the image I included above on that date there was a huge change in our team's CFD - I am not aware of any change on our team that would have caused such a huge change and since the change on the graph coincided with an upgrade to TFS Service I wondered if perhaps they were related.

Thanks,

Bryan

Friday, April 5, 2013 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I am trying to involve someone to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Would you please email me(v-liliw@microsoft.com) your email address, for not miss your email, please include this case URL information in the mail.

Regards,

Lily Wu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 8, 2013 9:00 AM
  • Bryan,

I'm from the TFS product team that implemented the new customizable columns feature. If it's OK with you, I would like to create a direct line of communication with you. Please email at greggboe at the standard Microsoft domain, to set something up.

Once we figure out the cause, then we can post the solution back to this forum thread.

Thanks,

Gregg

Gregg Boer - TFS Product Team

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Bryan,

As you are working directly on this with Gregg now I will propose his answer as the solution for the time being and we'll loop back later with the full resolution.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:31 PM
  • "We now know the cause:

This change in the CFD is actually caused by a bug being fixed, with the March 4, 2013 TFS Service update. (As well as the Dev11 VS Update 2)

Before: The CFD chart did not respect the team's backlog iteration path. In other words, it was actually counting ALL user stories assigned to the team's area paths, and not limiting to those assigned to the team's iteration path. This was wrong.

After: We now respect the team's iteration path, which means less stories are being counted than before, which is why you see the dip in the CFD chart. In in actuality, the new numbers are correct.

Of course, this all speaks to your statement that the CFD chart is not really useful. I’m guessing that’s the case, since the numbers were wrong before, and it didn’t matter.

We are working on a feature to allow you to entire a start-date for your CFD. Once we have this feature, you’ll be able to enter that date and the CFD chart will start drawing from here.

Hope this helps. Thanks,
    Gregg Boer"

Monday, May 20, 2013 8:04 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

Just wondering if the feature to allow us to modify teh start date of the CFD has been implimented.

Cheers

Shashank

Friday, January 17, 2014 5:08 AM