none
Creating a Program Monitoring Script RRS feed

• Question

• Hoping someone can answer my questions. I in the process of building a PC for a family member and wanted to make sure they were using an educational application on their computer for 'X' amount of time before they're able to user other applications, such as games or a web-browser. 

Would it be possible to do this using VB? I thought maybe Task Scheduler I would be able to use this, but from my understanding (which is quite limited of VB) you would need to use a WMI script in order to mange a .exe file for when it opened/closed in Task Scheduler. I am probably completely wrong, but that's why I am here, hopefully someone can shed some light on if this is possible or not, and if it is possible how much coding would be involved. 

Thanks

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 9:40 PM

All replies

• Hi btr2019,

I think it would be possible to do that using a VB program.

The VB program will work/behave like this.

1) It is launched from Registry or Startup automatically, when Windows starts -- it is a TSR software.
    2) It checks if a specific application (an educational app. = AAA) is running at certain intervals (e.g. 1 second).
         Also, it checks if AAA does not run at every 1 second.
        -- it's like polling behavior.
        This can be done by checking processes.
    3) When it finds AAA at the first time, it records date and time. When it misses AAA, records date and time. (computes AAA's running time, and 'X' amount of time and records it.)
    4) It prohibits specific applications (e.g. browser, games) from launching.

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

• Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:33 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:31 PM
  • Hello thank you for the fast reply. This seems like quite an in-depth task at hand, considering I have limited to no experience in VB, this sounds like quite the challenge. 

Where would be a good place to start to get the basic understanding of how to do some of the things you explained such as:

• Launching the application at startup or from registry
    • Checking to see if a certain application is running (When you say at certain intervals you mean the total time the application has been running since launch?)
    • Checking AAA's processes (could I find the ProcessID through Task Manager?) and calling them in the source code
    • Polling behavior, can you elaborate on this a little more?
    • Recording time and date from AAA and then store them into a variable I assume?
    • After recording AAA time and comparing to 'X' if that time limit is reached or equal to then the other applications would be available?
    • Prohibiting other applications from being accessed before the 'X' time limit has been reached?

Also I plan for this script/program to hopefully run every time the computer is booted as soon as the user logs into their account.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:46 PM
  • Hello thank you for the fast reply. This seems like quite an in-depth task at hand, considering I have limited to no experience in VB, this sounds like quite the challenge. 

Where would be a good place to start to get the basic understanding of how to do some of the things you explained such as:

• Launching the application at startup or from registry
    • Checking to see if a certain application is running (When you say at certain intervals you mean the total time the application has been running since launch?)
    • Checking AAA's processes (could I find the ProcessID through Task Manager?) and calling them in the source code
    • Polling behavior, can you elaborate on this a little more?
    • Recording time and date from AAA and then store them into a variable I assume?
    • After recording AAA time and comparing to 'X' if that time limit is reached or equal to then the other applications would be available?
    • Prohibiting other applications from being accessed before the 'X' time limit has been reached?

Also I plan for this script/program to hopefully run every time the computer is booted as soon as the user logs into their account.

Considering your lack of programming experience in VB (and probably Windows in general) I suggest you spend your time and effort evaluating commercially available parental control software to see which, if any of them, may meet your needs.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 12:47 AM
  • Hi btr2019,

If you want to learn programming, ask a part of your questions (not all, at once) and you will get an answer. (Please walk step by step.)

If your purpose is not learning programming, but a role as a parent, please search for a parental software, as RLWA32 mentioned.

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 3:26 AM
  • Hi,

Ashidacchi provides you with ideas. You can try coding. If there are problems or errors in coding, we can help you solve them, otherwise the work we can do is just guess.

Also, if you don't have any idea, a parental software is a good choice.

Hope it be helpful.

Best Regards,

Julie

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 5:50 AM