none
VERY slow debug in Visual Studio 2010 when activating the option "Show Parameter Values" in the call stack. RRS feed

• Question

• I had some big debugging problems because the performance was so bad, I couldn't find any problems. After lot of investigations, I found out the option "Show Parameter Values" in the callstack window was the problem. When I deactivate it, VS run like a charm. It seems the biggest the call stack is, the worst it is.

So I was wondering if it was a known bug, or if it's the implementation of the objects used as parameters in the callstack that cause the problem. If the implementation has impact, how can I change the code that is called?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:11 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Instriker,

I cannot reproduce the issue (Win7 32bit, T6670, 3GB memory), I have more than 50 items in the Call Stack window, and I enabled "Show Parameter Values" option, as well as other "Show ..." options, VS works well, I didn't encounter performance issue.

However, enabled "Show Parameter Values" option may give VS more pressure, but from my test result, it doesn't make so big performance hit.

Could you provide more information? for example, what's the project type, how many frames on the call stack, how about CPU, physical memory?

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, November 5, 2010 7:18 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:02 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Instriker,

I cannot reproduce the issue (Win7 32bit, T6670, 3GB memory), I have more than 50 items in the Call Stack window, and I enabled "Show Parameter Values" option, as well as other "Show ..." options, VS works well, I didn't encounter performance issue.

However, enabled "Show Parameter Values" option may give VS more pressure, but from my test result, it doesn't make so big performance hit.

Could you provide more information? for example, what's the project type, how many frames on the call stack, how about CPU, physical memory?

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, November 5, 2010 7:18 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Man  - your post is awesome , tnx you save my day!!!
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:30 PM