none
Visual Studio 2012 keeps crashing and restarting on Wndows 8

Question

• I am running VS 2012 Premium v11.0 update 2 on Windows 8.  It keeps crashing and restarting on a regular basis.  There are 2 errors logger in the event viewer:

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 11.0.60315.1, time stamp: 0x5142bb7b
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16451, time stamp: 0x50988950
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x00014b32
    Faulting process ID: 0xedc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce44bcc3df4ef7
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report ID: 187d9806-b0b3-11e2-beac-50b7c324c324
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

and 

Application: devenv.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
    Stack:
       at Dzonny.NiceVS.ImageReplacer.BeginUse()
       at Dzonny.NiceVS.NiceVSProcessor.ProcessElement(System.Windows.FrameworkElement, System.Object, Dzonny.NiceVS.ElementProcessingOptions)
       at Dzonny.NiceVS.NiceVSProcessor.FrameworkElement_SizeChanged(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
       at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
       at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
       at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
       at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
       at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnRenderSizeChanged(System.Windows.SizeChangedInfo)
       at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.fireSizeChangedEvents()
       at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
       at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayoutCallback(System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext+InvokeOnRenderCallback.DoWork()
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

This happens whether I'm debugging or just editing.

Any ideas as to why this happens?

Sunil

Monday, April 29, 2013 10:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Sunil,

Thanks for your post.

Please try some common steps:

Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands:

1.devenv.exe /safemode

2.devenv.exe /resetskippkgs

3.devenv.exe /installvstemplates

4.devenv.exe /resetsettings

5.devenv.exe /resetuserdata

Note that the above steps are unrelated and so checking if your issue has been resolved, after every step may help you save time on steps that were not required!

Please rename these 2 registry keys under the registry editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0_Config

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0

If the error persists, try refer to this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272(v=vs.110).aspx

Gather the logs when your VS crashed so that we may know more details.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Sunil,

Thanks for your post.

Please try some common steps:

Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands:

1.devenv.exe /safemode

2.devenv.exe /resetskippkgs

3.devenv.exe /installvstemplates

4.devenv.exe /resetsettings

5.devenv.exe /resetuserdata

Note that the above steps are unrelated and so checking if your issue has been resolved, after every step may help you save time on steps that were not required!

Please rename these 2 registry keys under the registry editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0_Config

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0

If the error persists, try refer to this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272(v=vs.110).aspx

Gather the logs when your VS crashed so that we may know more details.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:04 AM
  • hi,

what should the   2 registry keys renamed as.

im having the same issue, except i begin encountering this problem after i upgraded to windows 8.1

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 11.0.60610.1, time stamp: 0x51b52140
    Faulting module name: MCTU.dll, version: 2.4.13.312, time stamp: 0x513ea0e9
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00015241
    Faulting process id: 0xa94
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cee2324a92014d
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MCTU.dll
    Report Id: 9af338b5-4e25-11e3-be84-5cf9dd71d3fa
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Application: devenv.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 6BD95241

Friday, November 15, 2013 7:01 PM
  • I have the same problem with Visual Studio Professional 2013 version 12.0.21005.1 REL, running on Windows 8.1. It gets into a state of constantly reporting that VS 2013 has stopped working. It closes and restarts, but the first thing I try (closing a tab) starts the cycle again.

I get this information:
    An unhandled exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: Trying to revoke a drop target that has not been registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040100 (DRAGDROP_E_NOTREGISTERED))

Should I try the steps listed above by Barry Wang on Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:43 AM  (under the Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0 folder)?

BTW: What should the 2 registry keys be renamed as?

Bruce

Bruce Martin

Thursday, January 09, 2014 2:43 AM
  • Thanks for that tip George. I deleted the .suo file and all seems to work ok now. Been using VS all afternoon.

Bruce Martin

Thursday, January 09, 2014 11:21 PM
  • Exact same problem with me.  Working perfect with 8.0 now crashing same way ...MCTU.dll... with 8.1

George

I deleted the .SUO as mentioned someplace else and it's working good for 2 hours now.

Bad new, got the same problem with an other smaller project. 
    Friday, January 10, 2014 3:28 AM
  • My Visual Studio was getting stopped when I tried to open any solution.  I was able to open the solution when in Visual Studio Safemode (devenv.exe /safemode).  But not in normal mode. 

I deleted all *.suo file but it did not help.  

The following command worked made it work for me. 

devenv.exe /resetsettings - This command gave me error related to TFS visualstudio.com login. 

I ran following command after that :

devenv.exe /resetuserdata  - This solved my problem.

Hareshbhai Prajapati

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:22 PM
  • Good job ignoring OP's follow-up question and marking your answer as correct. You are the cancer of MSDN.
    Thursday, April 07, 2016 10:52 AM