none
Visual Studio hangs on Startup RRS feed

• Question

•  

Since +- 7 days, I'm not able to use Visual Studion 2005 SP1 (+Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista)

on Vista Business (latest patches installed).

Studio hangs in splash screen. I have uninstall and reinstall everythink, same problem.

my system is unusable for development, Is this a known problem?

Thanks,

GeniusConnect team

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 2:59 AM

Answers

• Give this a try.  But make sure you backup your data thats inside VS.  Like code snips, etc.  I have had this fix things in the past.  Its alot quicker then doing a reinstall.

/resetuserdata Switch

The last tip that I will share with you concerns the /resetuserdata switch. You can use this switch to reset Visual Studio to its out-of-box state if Visual Studio ever runs into a damaged state that you cannot recover from. Examples of these problems may be a corrupted window layout file, corrupted menu customization file, or corrupted keyboard shortcuts file. Disclaimer: you will lose all your environment settings and customizations if you use this switch. It is for this reason that this switch is not officially supported and Microsoft does not advertise this switch to the public (you won't see this switch if you type devenv.exe /? in the command prompt). You should only use this switch as the last resort if you are experiencing an environment problem, and make sure you back up your environment settings by exporting them before using this switch.

To use this switch, do the following:

1. Shut down all instances of Visual Studio 2005.
    2. Click Start, the choose Run....
    3. Type "devenv.exe /resetuserdata".

This command will take a couple of minutes to run as Visual Studio cleans up and sets itself back to its original state. You may open Task Manager at this point to check whether the devenv.exe process is still running. After it has completed running, you can restart Visual Studio. You will then be greeted by the first launch dialog again, as if you are running Visual Studio for the first time on your machine.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:09 PM
  • I had the same issue.
    I fixed that with increasing the available space on my harddrive to 1gbyte. I had only 100 mbyte left and VS just had that splash screen and hung up. Thats weird that VS would not check the space if it needs temporary space on the harddrive Smile
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:11 AM
  • You may try devenv /log "C:\log.txt" to see what information is there.

Another way is to utilize the Process Monitor tool http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx
    Start VS and run this tool, it will capture the access log. Filter on the process name devenv.exe in the log so that you can narrow down the related list.
    This should give you more info on what registry keys/ files are being accessed during the hanging.

Thanks

Thursday, December 13, 2007 4:04 AM

All replies

• What does event log says?

Are there any antiVirus software running there?

If we run VS in safe mode system, does the problem persist?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 9:45 AM
  • -Evelnt Log:

The program devenv.exe version 8.0.50727.867 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 1298 Start Time: 01c8214c4977fcf7 Termination Time: 18

-No AntiVirus:

-Safe Mode Same problem

I discovered somthing new:

-when I start VS by dbl-clicking and existing .sln project, it opens and does not hang in splash, then it crashes at random moments later.

Thanks,

Friday, November 9, 2007 10:39 AM
  • Hi,

If we switch to try a new user account, do we have the problem? This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

Looking at the nature of this issue, it would require intensive troubleshooting which would be done quickly and effectively with direct assistance from a Microsoft Support Engineer through Microsoft Customer Support Services. You can contact Microsoft Product Support directly to discuss additional support options you may have available, by contacting us at 1-(800)936-5800 or by choosing one of the options listed at

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=fh;en-us;cntactms

If you are a MSDN subscriber, you can also contact our support by using your free support incidents:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948874.aspx

Thanks

Monday, November 12, 2007 3:41 AM
  • Thanks for reply, I was checking the support options, obviously we will not pay for Microsoft bugs.

Monday, November 12, 2007 9:59 AM
  • I bet its one of your addons.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:16 AM
  • What do you mean? I don't have any Visual Studio Addons?

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:53 AM
  • Give this a try.  But make sure you backup your data thats inside VS.  Like code snips, etc.  I have had this fix things in the past.  Its alot quicker then doing a reinstall.

/resetuserdata Switch

The last tip that I will share with you concerns the /resetuserdata switch. You can use this switch to reset Visual Studio to its out-of-box state if Visual Studio ever runs into a damaged state that you cannot recover from. Examples of these problems may be a corrupted window layout file, corrupted menu customization file, or corrupted keyboard shortcuts file. Disclaimer: you will lose all your environment settings and customizations if you use this switch. It is for this reason that this switch is not officially supported and Microsoft does not advertise this switch to the public (you won't see this switch if you type devenv.exe /? in the command prompt). You should only use this switch as the last resort if you are experiencing an environment problem, and make sure you back up your environment settings by exporting them before using this switch.

To use this switch, do the following:

1. Shut down all instances of Visual Studio 2005.
    2. Click Start, the choose Run....
    3. Type "devenv.exe /resetuserdata".

This command will take a couple of minutes to run as Visual Studio cleans up and sets itself back to its original state. You may open Task Manager at this point to check whether the devenv.exe process is still running. After it has completed running, you can restart Visual Studio. You will then be greeted by the first launch dialog again, as if you are running Visual Studio for the first time on your machine.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:09 PM
  • I had the same issue.
    I fixed that with increasing the available space on my harddrive to 1gbyte. I had only 100 mbyte left and VS just had that splash screen and hung up. Thats weird that VS would not check the space if it needs temporary space on the harddrive Smile
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:11 AM
  •  

Thanks,

but I have 53G free space.

When I try the devenv /resetuserdata switch, it hangs also.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:51 PM
  • You may try devenv /log "C:\log.txt" to see what information is there.

Another way is to utilize the Process Monitor tool http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx
    Start VS and run this tool, it will capture the access log. Filter on the process name devenv.exe in the log so that you can narrow down the related list.
    This should give you more info on what registry keys/ files are being accessed during the hanging.

Thanks

Thursday, December 13, 2007 4:04 AM
  • Hi!
    they are all great suggestions!
    Actually what happend was that VS started to just hang again. And AGAIN I found a way that it will start up again... lol
    I really tried all sorts of things. I used the process monitor and its a really cool program. I couldnt find anything with that since VS just stops working right after it looked for the registry key to MS instrumentation stuff. I also used the /log parameter and also that says about nothing. It stops after some GUID and I almost researched if there is some connection between that GUID and instrumentation tools.
    Anyway, here is a another fix: I installed .NET 3.0 and restarted my computer and now it starts up!

I am using a 64 bit AMD dual processor. My system is somewhat weird and has all sorts of issues. I am now wondering how long that fix will last Smile
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:18 AM
  • I have the same problem but my free hard drive space is more than 3GB. I can run VS2005 by double-clicking a .sln project file (thanks to GeniusConnect for saying this workaround above). Note that repairing the product from DVD was not a cure.

Thanks
    fadishei
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:19 AM
  • One thing which is worth to try is to start VS while holding the left Shift key. This will cause VS to start with all addons disabled.
    • Proposed as answer by S Wolfe Wednesday, September 9, 2009 2:06 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:39 PM
  •  fadishei wrote:
    One thing which is worth to try is to start VS while holding the left Shift key. This will cause VS to start with all addons disabled.

I was experiencing the same issue, beginning yesterday.  Yesterday a reboot finally got me into VS, today using your tip worked.

One interesting note is that it did not actually disable all my plugins, both SlickEdit Gadgets and Refactor! (the free vb.net version) were loaded.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 2:53 PM
  • Thought I'd share my experience and solution (as well as a "thanks" to the contributors to this thread):

I started to experience the same issue on a system that had been working fine for about 1 year.  Uninstall/reinstall didn't work so I ended up installing a new 500 GB drive and built a new development environment (XP 32-bit with SP3).  I installed VS2005 with SP1.  The same issue was happening where the splash screen would appear but nothing would happen after that.  I just tried the "start with left shift" tip and was able to get VS up.  The ONLY add-in was the VMWare debugger from VMWare Workstation 6.0.4.  I disabled the "Allow Add-in components to load" since changes to the Add-in Manager settings didn't change the start up behavior.  Now, VS2005 starts just fine. 

- Bob
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:17 PM
  • I had the same problem as Bob above with the "VMDebugger" Add-In.   devenv.exe stopped loading after a few seconds (just sits there, zero CPU usage).

Happened after I disabled a bunch of wasteful VMWare services and startup processes using "msconfig" including one called vm_tray.exe (which grabs about 20MB ram even if you're not running any virtual machines!).  Visual Studio will not load without vm_tray.exe running, unless you disable Add-Ins.

Personally I'll be removing VMWare as soon as possible!

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 1:30 PM
  • I've had this same problem with VMWare.  Does anyone know how to fix it?  I would like to keep VMWare on my system as I do use it frequently.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 4:43 PM
  • I had the same problem after installing last weeks patches from Microsoft.  After 2 days of looking I finally solved it by starting the "VMware Authorization Service" and setting is to Automatic.
    • Proposed as answer by msftuser Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:39 AM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 4:16 PM
  • I had been fighting the same problem w/ VS2005 until I found this thread.  I checked my VMWare Authorization Service and it was not running.  Soon as I started it, VS2005 started loading for me.

Relative to the question of how to disable the VMDebugger AddIn, I found this reference:

Unloading the VMDebugger Add-in

To permanently uninstall the Visual Studio Integrated Virtual Debugger, run the Workstation installation

program, select Modify on the Program Maintenance page, deselect Visual Studio PlugIn in the Custom

setup, and continue through the installation wizard.

NOTE Deselecting Start in Tools>AddIn Manager does not prevent the Visual Studio Integrated Virtual

Debugger Addin from loading.

Friday, November 7, 2008 9:26 PM
  • Same here! I'm uninstalling VMWare right now! What a pain in the *ss! I've been sitting without VS for a couple of weeks now...
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:17 AM
  • You can reinstall VMWare and use a custom install to prevent the Visual Studio components from being installed.  It works in that manner.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:13 PM
  • Thank you so much, damn VMware service wasn't started!
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:40 AM