none
VS2010 losing focus on windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I just updated from windows 8 to windows 8.1 and now when Visual Studio 2010 is open it keeps refreshing/losing focus every 20 seconds.

This stop me being able to type consistently on all programs when its open.

i have removed all add ins / extensions the problem still remains.

i have run Devenv.exe /safemode and the problem still remains.

This makes it impossible to work with. 

should i just downgrade back to windows 8?

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi BenElmer,

I discuss it with VS setup expert, the windows 8.1 would support the VS2010.

Just to make this issue clearly, whether it has this issue in other Windows8.1 machine? If it works well in other machine, so we could make sure that it would be related to this specific Environment.

Please install the VS2010 SP1.

I suggest you to do a VS reset operation. You can try the following command:

Devenv /ResetSettings Settings File

Please see this article for more information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241273.aspx

If still no help, go to Programs and Features in the control panel, selected Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and selected Uninstall/Change. Then please make a repair.
    When the repair finished, check it again.

A similar thread, if possible, you could refer it, hope it could help.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1fbcb8fd-d9f2-4590-9f6c-b570fbe903c7/visual-studio-2010-editor-loses-focus?forum=vssetup

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:29 AM
  • unfortunately I do not have another PC which I can install windows 8.1 onto.

before reading your reply I have already tried resetting the settings, and "repairing", both to no avail.

The suggestion in the other thread unfortunately did not solve the problem.

The problem only seems to happen after I have loaded a solution.

Monday, October 21, 2013 10:51 AM
  • Installed Visual Studio 2013 and displays the same problem.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 12:59 PM
  • Hi BenElmer,

Thanks for your response.

I’m afraid that we couldn’t repro this issue. Since the VS2013 still has the same issue, to get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, would you please create connect report for it? You will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx, if you submit it, you could share me the link here, so we could know the latest information from the product team expert. You could share a simple sample in your connect report if just the specific solution has this issue, it would be helpful for the product team expert to repro and troubleshoot this issue.

The problem only seems to happen after I have loaded a solution.

In addition, if you mean that it has this issue when you open a specific solution in VS2010, you could also share me a simple solution, I will open it in my side with the new Windows 8.1. If I get the same issue as yours, I will help you vote the connect report. Thanks for your understanding. You could send your project to v-jake at microsoft dot com. Please also share me a screen shot about your result in your new reply.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:46 AM
  • Connect Report

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/806152/losing-focus-stealing-focus-when-solution-project-open-on-windows-8-1

It is not a specific solution, creating a new windows forms project causes the same behaviour.

I do not know what screen shot you want, it will be unable to demonstrate the problem.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:47 AM
  • Hi BenElmer,

Thanks for your response. As you already submit one feedback on the Microsoft Connect site, let's focus on the case on that channel, may the senior members can provide more professional support. Thanks for your understanding.

Actually I try to repro it, but it works well in my side with the new Windows8.1 Environment.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:11 AM
  • I have the same issue but my problem is general, I mean, all my application loose focus after 20 sec. I am just getting tired, I can't work this way
    Monday, November 18, 2013 10:00 PM