none
Moving from Oracle Forms to WPF or Silverlight RRS feed

• Question

• We're in the process of moving away from Oracle Forms. Our initial plans were to go with WinForms. The project has been delayed long enough, though, that WPF has finally matured to a level which makes us comfortable enough to choose it instead.

We're a bit under-informed, though, being new to the environment, so I was hoping you could help us with a WPF / SilverLight comparison question...

With Silverlight 4, and the addition of Printer API's and local filesystem access, it sounds like it's come a long way towards emulating WPF. And that's where we're missing some information. Are SilverLight and WPF actually sharing the same code-base, or are they both just becoming more & more similar in functionality? Maybe a better way to frame my question is, if I created an application in WPF and one in Silverlight that an end-user would think were the same in functionality, would the design process be the same for both? So, if we started learning Silverlight and porting our simple business applications first, would we just be able to seamlessly switch to WPF for our tougher applications?

Thanks,

--=Chuck

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:38 PM

Answers

• >>Are SilverLight and WPF actually sharing the same code-base, or are they both just becoming more & more similar in functionality?
    RR: they share some code, but really, they are both just becoming more and more similar in functionality.

>>So, if we started learning Silverlight and porting our simple business applications first, would we just be able to seamlessly switch to WPF for our tougher applications?
    RR: That could be a reasonable approach. If Silverlight meets your needs, just use it. If you need something that Silverlight doesn't have, but WPF does, use WPF for those projects.

Others could offer there opinions in this space...

Rob Relyea
    WPF & Silverlight Teams, Microsoft
    http://robrelyea.com/blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:46 PM