none
How to use C# to build a custom editor VSIX to my custom format of file? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, people.

I can't see samples to build a custom editor (VSIX extensibility) using C# using VS 2019 Community?

I need to add new files to a project and use that custom editor to edit <g class="gr_ gr_132 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" data-gr-id="132" id="132">its</g>.

Is this possible only if we use C++?

Where can I get some help?

• Moved by May Luo-MSFT Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:48 AM VSX issue
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 10:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Richardo,

It sounds like you want to implement a designer. Given the "xml" in your ".omxml" extension, I'm guessing this is just an XML file that you want to edit with a custom "form or designer". 

If that's the case, you may want to have a look at the "Designer View Over XML Editor Sample", as this sounds a bit like what you're looking to do. 

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Ricardo_Ildefonso,

Welcome to the MSDN forum,

Based on your description, it is related to VSX issue. Since our forum mainly focus on VS IDE, I will help you move it to an appropriate forum for a better support!

Thank you for your understanding.

Best

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:48 AM
  • Hi friend,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>Is this possible only if we use C++?

No, please feel free to use C# to develop VS extension as I know, many sample of VS extension are C#.

>>I can't see samples to build a custom editor (VSIX extensibility) using C# using VS 2019 Community?

You can find the tutorial from MSDN doc, and part of complete samples are located at github.

Here are some samples I've found for you:

Hope it helps. Any feedback would be expected :)

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:44 AM
  • Hi, Lance.

Thanks for your attention.

The link clarifies about the use of C#. But the sample is far from anything useful for me.

I need an editor windows where I will read a file (using an extention file *.omxml) and fill a form and a grid. I already have this "editor" or "designer". It is made with C# and XAML, isolated in a UserControl that manage the file I pass to when the UserControl is created.

Where can I find a sample that shows any like call a user control into VS editor window?

Saturday, April 27, 2019 3:15 PM
  • Hi Ricardo,

I'm afraid we have no sample which shows a direct way that how to call user control into editor window.

Maybe you can get some help from this topic . And what do you mean to call a user control into VS editor window? You can consider adding a ToolWindow Item(C# and XAML) format to work as a user control.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 29, 2019 10:08 AM
  • Hi Richardo,

It sounds like you want to implement a designer. Given the "xml" in your ".omxml" extension, I'm guessing this is just an XML file that you want to edit with a custom "form or designer". 

If that's the case, you may want to have a look at the "Designer View Over XML Editor Sample", as this sounds a bit like what you're looking to do. 

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:16 PM
  • Hi, Ed Dore.

I saw your link and think that is what I need to build my job.

Thanks.

Saturday, May 11, 2019 1:42 PM