none
Skin or "Brand" a LS application? RRS feed

• Question

• I have had a sub contractor working, for a week now,  on a custom shell to "Brand" our LS application.  All I am looking for, for now, is a .jpg picture with overlay text in "header" (Ribbon?) area of LS.  His "custom" shell just isn't working.  Scaling is off, stretching the window and using different resolutions or browsers wrecks everything.  In addition, and the scary part, he has broked some of the navigation and it now takes 3 to 6 clicks to launch a screen. 

HELP

Is there a simplier, safer way to do this?  Would gladly pay $$$ to someone who does know what they are doing.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:25 PM

All replies

• I don't know anything about creating a custom shell but others do.  Also, I thnk Jan Van der Haegen is working on a project that will allow the masses to customize the shell.

http://janvanderhaegen.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/skinning-your-lightswitch-application-intro/

Dave If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:39 PM
  • I suggest registering with VS LightSwitch Help Website and post your requirements on the Marketplace forum. 

BTW:  You should not be using untested development software in production.   You should have separate sites and databases for development, testing, and production.   Arvixe.com is an excellent low cost hosting site to support all three environments. 

There is a methodology to software development.  We'll be posting more about that in LS Help.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Can you send me a graphic mockup showing me what you need and I will let you know what it would cost.  I have fairly extensive knowledge about shell design your can check here to see my work.

Derek
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Garth I am hurt that you didn't think of me ;)
    Derek
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Let me also toss this idea into the mix.

1) Use a Blank Shell: Running a LightSwitch Application With A Blank Shell

2) Create your own Menu and screens: A Random Walk Through The LightSwitch Data Model 

However, if you have a lot of Screens then a Custom Shell will be worth the effort.

Make Them Ask: That's a LightSwitch App?

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:33 AM
  • Garth I am hurt that you didn't think of me ;)
    Derek

Of course, Derek is the perfect choice for this task.   We all now know that Derek is available for contracting.  Hopefully, he will be immediately unindated with requests.

We should put a list up on LS Help to track who is open for LS contract work.

I honestly don't know how many of my LS friends are available for contract work and who are already over their heads with development projects.

Friday, October 14, 2011 10:08 PM
  • If I wasn't so busy with this book, I'd put my hand up as well, but Derek has my vote.

Yann

(plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!)

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

This will help people find the answers that they're looking for more quickly.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:31 AM
  • Here's the main menu of flagship product, TMM 10. The menu “wallpaper” is our "brand".  This product is highly recognizable and I simply want to carry this through to our new LS version.   Even the LS login page is blank white! 

We have played with a custom LS shell, trying to put graphics in the ribbon but only managed to break menu functions and scaling.  Time for an expert so we can just move on.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Have a look at what I managed to accomplish in this thread, based on the technique that was suggested there (see the image of my login screen). I think it might be exactly what you're looking for.

I still haven't managed to find the time to finish the sample that I said I'd do unfortunately (been busy writing our book), but if there's anything that you want to ask about the technique, just go ahead & ask, & I'll try to answer.

With regard to adding an image to the "ribbon", that's not possible, even in a custom shell, unless the "ribbon control" is replaced with another control that does the same thing but allows an image to be added to it. It "looks" like a ribbon control, but it isn't really. It's designed to do what it does, show commands in groups, that's all it can do.

When I've finished with the book, I might be able to have a look at doing something like that in a custom shell, but you may not be able to wait that long. Our "deadline" is the end of this month, & the book publishes in December. I'm not sure how much more will be required from us between the deadline & the publish date, so it's hard to say.

Yann

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:12 PM
  • I also have a couple of controls (Luminous Resource Image control, & Luminous Application Information control), that I haven't released yet (just lack of time), that will allow you to have a home page like this (with no code required):

Yann

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:39 PM
  • With regard to adding an image to the "ribbon", that's not possible, even in a custom shell, unless the "ribbon control" is replaced with another control that does the same thing but allows an image to be added to it. It "looks" like a ribbon control, but it isn't really. It's designed to do what it does, show commands in groups, that's all it can do.

Then we can stick an image over the "ribbon", that's not a "binomial theorem" :)

For example, in the Application class code for the startup screen "_Run" handler write something like that:

partial void Home_Run(ref bool handled)
            {
                if (!hasRibbonCommandBarImageAdded)
                    Microsoft.LightSwitch.Threading.Dispatchers.Main.BeginInvoke(() => { FindRibbonCommandBarAndAddImage(System.Windows.Application.Current.RootVisual); });

}

bool hasRibbonCommandBarImageAdded = false;
            private void FindRibbonCommandBarAndAddImage(UIElement element)
            {
                if (hasRibbonCommandBarImageAdded) return;

for (int i = 0; i < System.Windows.Media.VisualTreeHelper.GetChildrenCount(element); i++) {
                    UIElement child = (UIElement)System.Windows.Media.VisualTreeHelper.GetChild(element, i);
                    FindRibbonCommandBarAndAddImage(child);
                }
                if (element is Microsoft.LightSwitch.Runtime.Shell.Implementation.Standard.RibbonCommandBar) {
                    Microsoft.LightSwitch.Runtime.Shell.Implementation.Standard.RibbonCommandBar rcb = element as Microsoft.LightSwitch.Runtime.Shell.Implementation.Standard.RibbonCommandBar;
                    Image myImage = new Image() {
                        Source = new System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage(new Uri(@"http://i1.social.s-msft.com/Profile/u/avatar.jpg?displayName=Yann%20Duran&size=extralarge&version=b818459d-a8a9-4aae-8923-0e38e5b281da")),
                        Stretch = System.Windows.Media.Stretch.Uniform,
                        HorizontalAlignment = HorizontalAlignment.Left,
                        Margin = new Thickness(2, 2, 2, 14),
                        Cursor = System.Windows.Input.Cursors.Hand
                    };
                    myImage.MouseLeftButtonUp += (s, e) => MessageBox.Show("Here may be some About...");
                    myImage.SizeChanged += (s, e) => rcb.Padding = new Thickness(e.NewSize.Width + 12, 0, 0, 0);
                    ((Grid)rcb.Parent).Children.Add(myImage);
                    hasRibbonCommandBarImageAdded = true;
                }
            }

• Edited by LR__ Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:41 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:56 PM
  • You've done it again! Well done! (you're obviously a bit of a Silverlight expert)

I was *just* about to say that I wouldn't recommend a technique that displayed anything OVER something else, as your wording suggested, but I decided to give it a try, & I'm glad that I did.

The picture is actually "integrated" into the "ribbon" control, & moves the command groups over to accomodate it, so my concern is actually not valid.

Here's the result, for those that would like to see the technique visually.

You've actually given me an idea for a control extension. Gee, I wish I had more time up my sleeve!

Yann

Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:26 AM
  • Awesome!  I can't wait to intergrate my logo into this.

Thanks LR_!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:28 AM
  • What does the image look like when the ribbon is collapsed?

Does it look like mini-Yann?

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:42 AM
  • YES, it does! Isn't it cute (the fact that it shrinks, not ME, lol)???

Yann

Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:30 AM
  • fantastic, yes Yann, very cute!

thanks for the pictures.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:07 PM
  • You're welcome.

Yann

Friday, October 21, 2011 3:02 AM
  • I have a Shell that will do it:

You can set a .jpeg or .png image that is no larger than 200 (width) by 50 (height) as the LightSwitch Shell Logo Image.

The Logo will appear in the upper right corner of the Shell.

http://lightswitchhelpwebsite.com/Blog/tabid/61/EntryId/68/Creating-a-Minimal-LightSwitch-Shell.aspx

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:26 PM
  • Michael, your "shell" may display an image, but with it you lose a major part of the default shell functionality - the navigation menu!

Why on earth would you even suggest that as a viable solution?

Yann - LightSwitch Central

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Michael, your "shell" may display an image, but with it you lose a major part of the default shell functionality - the navigation menu!

Why on earth would you even suggest that as a viable solution?

I am offering an option. You can also use this code in your own shell to display the Logo:

<Image ShellHelpers:ComponentViewModelService.ViewModelName="Default.LogoViewModel"
                Source="{Binding Logo}" HorizontalAlignment="Right" 
                Stretch="None"  Grid.Column="1" Margin="0,0,20,0"
                Width="200" Height="50" VerticalAlignment="Center"/>

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:25 PM
  • I get an error on the "Implementation" property in VS.  Am I missing something?

Microsoft.LightSwitch.Runtime.Shell.Implementation.Standard

Scott

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:36 PM
  • I get an error on the "Implementation" property in VS.  Am I missing something?

Microsoft.LightSwitch.Runtime.Shell.Implementation.Standard

Scott

Is this in regards to my Shell?

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:41 PM
  • It's in reference to the code above from LR_. 

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Scott, sorry, you have to add reference to Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.Internal.dll in Client project (in solution explorer switch to "File View")

In my system it is located in this place - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\LightSwitch\1.0\Client\Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.Internal.dll

Hope this helps

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:39 PM
  • It did help!  But I just don't see the image in the ribbon bar? It builds with no errors.

Scott

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Found it.  Was using a BMP file, a jpg works great!

Scott

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:17 PM
  • For "Embedded Resource" image that located, say, in Resources folder of the Client proj the code may be like this:

System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage image = new System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage();
                    image.SetSource(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream(Application.Current.Details.Name + ".Resources.MyImage.jpg"));
                    Image myImage = new Image() {
                        Source = image,
                        Stretch = System.Windows.Media.Stretch.Uniform,

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:32 PM
  • Sorry, I WILL finish the sample that I said I'd do! Just under some pressure from book deadlines right now.

After that (about a week or so) & I'll get it finished, I promnise!

Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:04 AM
  • Anyone interested can take a look here. It's a "mash-up" of what LR_ and Michael suggested. A bit out of time but I read the article only today.
    1+1 = 3 for large values of 1
    Friday, January 20, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Anyone interested can take a look here. It's a "mash-up" of what LR_ and Michael suggested. A bit out of time but I read the article only today.

Yeah that is nice and makes sense and should work will all shells.

Friday, January 20, 2012 8:37 PM
  • All having a Ribbonbar. Let's be open-minded ;-). 
    Friday, January 20, 2012 8:41 PM
  • All having a Ribbonbar. Let's be open-minded ;-). 

Ok my next shell wont even have a RibbonBar :) :)

It will be "Minimal Blank Shell" :)

Friday, January 20, 2012 8:42 PM
  • LR_ thanxs a lot! The URL one works well but the 
    GetManifestResourceStream
    Keeps on giving NULL REFERENCE Exception even though the Logo image is available in my resources folder?  I sort of new to programming as a whole can you help me out?
    Friday, February 17, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Hi Thuto!

I had the same problem and I solved it this way:

a) Image should be placed in the Client project \Resources folder with Build Action set to "Embedded Resource"

b) Replace:

image.SetSource(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream(Application.Current.Details.Name + ".Resources.MyImage.jpg"));

by

image.SetSource(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream("MyImage.jpg"));

I hope it helps you. (BTW, I used VB.Net in my project and worked)

If you find this tip useful, please vote as helpful.

Best regards,

Ciro

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:25 PM

Thanks Kostas, i checked out your solution, it works in debug mode but in release mode the logo does not appear.  Anyone else have this problem?

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Sorry to bump a fairly old thread, but I've just moved my app to the Cosmopolitan theme, mainly to get more screen real-estate.

Well, that was the plan, and I've now got the whole of the window horizontally for my application, with the small menu and username bars (wish these were combined), and the bottom toolbar.
    However, when I add a logo to the screen, it appears at the top of the window, stealing some more of my valuable screen space!
    I wanted it at the bottom, next to my toolbar, but the trick described here doesn't work.

I managed to work it out, though, and here is my code in VB:

#Region "Logo"
        Public NotInheritable Class Logo

Friend Shared Sub AddLogo(element As UIElement, alignment As HorizontalAlignment)
                Dim ribboncmds As Cosmopolitan.Presentation.Controls.OverflowControl = Nothing
                For i = 0 To VisualTreeHelper.GetChildrenCount(element) - 1
                    Dim child = System.Windows.Media.VisualTreeHelper.GetChild(element, i)
                    If TypeOf child Is Cosmopolitan.Presentation.Controls.OverflowControl AndAlso child.GetValue(Cosmopolitan.Presentation.Controls.OverflowControl.NameProperty) = "CommandItems" Then
                        ribboncmds = child
                        Exit For
                    End If
                    AddLogo(child, alignment)
                Next

If ribboncmds IsNot Nothing Then
                    Dim ribbongrid As Grid = ribboncmds.Parent
                    Dim bm As New BitmapImage
                    bm.SetSource(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream("Logo.png"))
                    Dim logoImage As New Image() With {
                        .Stretch = System.Windows.Media.Stretch.Uniform,
                        .Height = 48,
                        .Cursor = System.Windows.Input.Cursors.Hand,
                        .Margin = New Thickness(2, 8, 14, 8),
                        .HorizontalAlignment = alignment,
                        .Source = bm
                    }
                    logoImage.SetValue(ComponentViewModelService.ViewModelNameProperty, "Default.LogoViewModel")

AddHandler logoImage.MouseLeftButtonUp, Sub(s, e)
                                                                Dim objAssembly = New AssemblyName(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly.FullName)
                                                                With objAssembly
                                                                    Message.InfoMessage(String.Format("{0}" + vbNewLine + "v{1}.{2}.{3}" + vbNewLine + vbNewLine + "by Elyl",
                                                                                                      .Name.Replace(".Client", ""),
                                                                                                      .Version.Major,
                                                                                                      .Version.Minor,
                                                                                                      .Version.Build))
                                                                End With
                                                            End Sub

ribbongrid.Children.Add(logoImage)
                End If

End Sub
        End Class
    #End Region

So, what this does is hunts through the Cosmo theme for the toolbar grid, and then inserts the image (Logo.png, stored in my Resources folder as an Embedded Resource).  I recommend leaving the logo set to 48px height, as this should ensure the toolbar doesn't increase in height.

To call it, I've been using:

Dispatchers.Main.BeginInvoke(Sub()
                                                     Logo.AddLogo(System.Windows.Application.Current.RootVisual, HorizontalAlignment.Left)
                                                 End Sub)

in my Application_LoggedIn procedure - I recommend you call it after you have displayed a screen (my LoggedIn procedure does a ShowScreen(), but yours probably doesn't).

Free Visual Studio LightSwitch extensions: Elyl's Extensions

• Edited by ElylV Friday, November 16, 2012 3:38 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Hi Thuto!

I had the same problem and I solved it this way:

a) Image should be placed in the Client project \Resources folder with Build Action set to "Embedded Resource"

b) Replace:

by

image.SetSource(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream("MyImage.jpg"));

I hope it helps you. (BTW, I used VB.Net in my project and worked)

If you find this tip useful, please vote as helpful.

Best regards,

Ciro

Thanks, I didnt set mine to "embedded resource"

Only thing that didnt work was the setsource call.

This worked for me though:

image.SetSource(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream("LightSwitchApplication.Resources.header2.jpg"));

Saturday, December 1, 2012 1:04 AM
  • Hello,

All you need to do is a small change in your shell/theme source.

locate the RibbonBackgroundBrush key in your shell/theme source file and comment out the SolidColorBrush and add a new ImageBrush and give it the same key value "RibbonBackgroundBrush". add the required background image to the Presentation/Resources/Images/ folder and reference it in the ImageSource of the ImageBrush. 

If you want to test this method with the Lightswitch Cosmopolitan Shell and Theme, download it using the following link then follow the below detailed steps:

Lightswitch Cosmopolitan Shell and Theme 2013 Download Link: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/silverlight/LightSwitch-Cosmopolitan-d38e0338

1) Extract the downloaded file, and open the solution.

2) search/find the RibbonBackgroundBrush, it should be in the CosmopolitanTheme.xaml file.

3) locate the <!-- RibbonBackground - The background of the ribbon menu -->

4) Comment out the <!--<SolidColorBrush x:Key="RibbonBackgroundBrush" Color="#FFEDEDED"/>-->

5) add the imageBrush and give it the same key:

<ImageBrush x:Key="RibbonBackgroundBrush" AlignmentX="Left" Stretch="UniformToFill" ImageSource="/Cosmopolitan.Client/component/Presentation/Resources/Images/background.png"/>

please check the correct reference to the image.

6) Build your solution debug to launch the experimental instance of VS 2013.

7) open an existing project or create a new one, open the project properties and tick and Cosmopolitan extension.

8) open your project desktop client properties and set the shell/theme as CosmopolitanShell/CosmopolitanTheme.

9) build your solution and debug.

that's it :)

http://merelyinquisitive.blogspot.ae/2014/03/how-to-add-background-image-to-your.html

mohammad Samaha

Friday, March 7, 2014 6:51 AM
  • Hi Yann, guys!

I just came across this article, great stuff, exactly what I was looking for! I looked at the links and the example, which I couldn't open since I'm using VS 2013. I did the following:

Solution Explorer <myproject>.DesktopClient => Add => Class => Visual Basic => Code => Class => ..saving your piece of code in there
    Once the class file opened in VS I get a lot of syntax errors. Am I doing anything wrong or the code needs to be amended?

Much appreciated!
    Cooper

RC

Friday, February 12, 2016 10:20 AM
  • Hi Cooper,

The code in this thread wasn't actually mine. A lot changed for LS when VS 2012 came out, most of which I didn't like at the time (the Cosmopolitan theme for a start lol).

But without knowing what errors you're getting, it's a bit hard to even suggest where to start to fix them.

I was so burnt out after the LightSwitch book that I co-authored back in 2011, that I stayed away from LightSwitch for a couple of years.

Then in 2013, I was then lured back to assist with apps written using the HTML Client. So I spent a lot of time up-skilling myself in JavaScript and all its foibles (even though I once swore that I'd never become a web developer).

I even jumped ship and taught myself C#, which is now my language of choice these days. Funny how things pan out sometimes. :-)

<div><a href="http://bit.ly/ydprofile"><strong>Yann Duran</strong></a> <br/> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; - Co-Author of <a href="http://bit.ly/pvsls2011d">Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011</a> <br/> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; - Author of the <a href="http://bit.ly/ydreluctant">A Reluctant Web Developer Blog</a> </div>

Friday, February 12, 2016 1:54 PM
  • Yann is back!!!!!!!!!!!

I am more than sorry to hear that you were burned after the book but glad to see that you are still in the ecosystem.

To Cooper, please provide any error messages and that will help us sort you out

If you found this post helpful, please mark it as helpful. If by some chance I answered the question, please mark the question as answered. That way you will help more people like me :)

Friday, February 12, 2016 2:12 PM
  • Thanks Otis! I don't know if I'm "back", but I'm "around" hehe.

I hope things are going well for you my friend.

<div><a href="http://bit.ly/ydprofile"><strong>Yann Duran</strong></a> <br/> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; - Co-Author of <a href="http://bit.ly/pvsls2011d">Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011</a> <br/> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; - Author of the <a href="http://bit.ly/ydreluctant">A Reluctant Web Developer Blog</a> </div>

Friday, February 12, 2016 2:30 PM
  • Well it is good to know that you are "around" at least :)

All good here

If you found this post helpful, please mark it as helpful. If by some chance I answered the question, please mark the question as answered. That way you will help more people like me :)

Friday, February 12, 2016 3:57 PM
  • Thanks Yann! I´ve just realized that this project I´m involved in is VB, not C# as the code you used, my bad. I wonder if there is an alternative in VB for me.. I will try first the post from ElyIV

Thanks again for quick response!

Cooper

RC

Friday, February 12, 2016 4:10 PM
  • Hi Ciro, I'm trying to get my image to appear in the top ribbon so hoping that your solution is the one. I've done the step (a) in our example but where exactly do you "Replace" the line in step (b)?

Thank you

Cooper

RC

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 10:03 AM
  • Hello

Have you seen this post that has helped others get the logo at the top of the screen?

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5b564a12-8550-497c-baff-3a89abcd0daa/ms-lightswitch-add-company-name-in-header-and-version-no-in-footer?forum=lightswitch

Otis

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:19 AM
  • Thanks heaps, Otis! I checked out the link and others as well as I tried to use the "code converters" but no joy so far...

GUYS! I wonder if anybody had implemented this on the LS with VB, please share, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Cooper

RC

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 3:39 PM