none
Excel Add-In showing up twice RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a excel 2003 add-in developed in VS .net 2003 (i.e framework 1.1). The add-in adds a new Menu at the end of the existing menubar (file, edit,.....help,"My Menu"). This menu provides some custom excel functionality. At some point of time when i was testing it, a strange thing happened, I saw my menu appear twice in excel after installing the add-in (I had earlier installed and tested the add-in and it was working fine). I cudnt exactly figure out when or how this happened. 

This apart, my major problem is when i uninstalled the add-in, one out of the two "My Menus" still continues to show in excel, although none of the menu items function. I tried in vain to get rid of this extra menu. The Add-in doesnt show up twice in add/remove programs. I am perplexed as to how did this situation arise. When i reinstalled the add-in this time too there are 2 menus (2 "My Menu"s appear) and both function this time. I can use either to invoke the menu items 

I have to get rid of this extra Menu Item which shows up even after i have uninstalled the add-in, but i cant find any registry entry in HKCU/software/microsoft/office/11.0/excel/addins. I tried deleting all registry entries refering to or containing the addin name but nothing seems to solve the problem. At one point, i even tried reinstalling office, thinking it wud clear any settings which i may have been unknowingly disturbed. Unfortunately that too didnt help

Can anyone please figure out what has happened or how i can solve the problem ?

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• This forum isn't really for Addin problems; correctly, your question belongs here:

·         COM add-in issues: office.developer.com.add_ins newsgroup

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.office.developer.com.add_ins&lang=en&cr=US

At a guess, I'd say Excel may have crashed at some point, not giving your addin a chance to remove the button on the menubar. As I recall, Excel stores CommandBar changes in the profile's *.xlb workbook. As a test, if you rename Excel11.xlb to Excel11.NOTxlb then start up Excel, is the button gone?

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:28 PM
  • Hey, that seems to have solved the problem on my machine.  Thanks a lot Cindy 

and sorry abt the post in the wrong place. Didnt know abt that. Will make sure to post it in the correct place next time .

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:11 PM
  • OK, then one small tip for your Addin app:

This kind of thing can happen, and the users won't appreciate needing to delete the place where they keep their customizations :-)

Since this is a COM Addin, you're using the TAG property on the menu bar button you add, right? In that case, loop through the controls on the top level of the menu bar and check whether they have your TAG (and maybe caption, too, just as a double-check). If it's already there, then delete it before adding the button. (That's a bit safer than re-using, since something may have been broken, or you may have changed the code.)

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:53 PM
  • Thanks once again for the tip...should prove really useful !
    Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:25 AM