none
POS for .NET 1.14.1 - OPOS interop and administrative privileges RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed POS for .NET 1.14.1 on a Windows 7 x64 PC with an integrated Intermec/Honeywell ED40 barcode scanner. UAC ist turned on. The scanner is internally connected by an USB cable, a virtual COM port driver is installed and working. The manufacturer provided an OPOS 1.13 OCX driver, that is correctly registered and working.

My client application is .NET 4.5.1 based. If it is running with administrative privileges, it works. If it is running with normal (reduced) user privileges, an exception is thrown when trying to enable the device (PosCommon.DeviceEnabled = true):

PosControlException: Failed to set property DeviceEnabled.

The same issue occurs if I compile and start the provided Microsoft sample "Microsoft POS Tester". But the also provided precompiled version of that program works, independent from the privileges.

I also created a managed wrapper for the OPOSScanner.ocx and used it directly without POS for .NET, same issue.

Has anybody an idea how to solve it?

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 1:57 PM

All replies

• Hi KarstenDeveloper,

To further help you about this issue, I am trying to invoke someone experienced to help look into this thread, this may take some time and as soon as we get any result, we will post back.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:35 AM
  • @KarstenDeveloper,

There is a similar issue reported on StackOverflow with a resolution.  Perhaps you have run into the same issue.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46319892/pos-for-net-barcode-scanner-deviceenabled-failed-to-set

This issue can be encountered if installing either OPOS or POS for .NET without Admin privileges.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Monday, October 16, 2017 2:28 PM