none
conversion or import old Visual Basic forms from visual Studio 6 to visual studio 2013

Question

• i Need to make a conversion or import of old Visual Basic forms from visual Studio 6 to visual studio 2013.

The old application is a Client Server Software for Windows Desktop. The data are stored into an Access database.

What is the best way or Approach to use the old forms?

thank you in advance for your help

best regards

Serge Laroche

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:34 PM

Answers

• With Sheridan controls and probably more of this stuff I always give the suggestion to start new using the design and old code from VB6.

The converters don't convert them and they are very much relying on Com.

Paul is of course our ActiveX and Com expert, but if you are new to newer versions of VB you will be soon grabbing your hair out of your head trying to convert with those in my idea. 

Be aware that the program languages changes between VB5 and VB6 where in fact more then between VB6 and VB7. Since version VB7 is everything in fact upwards compatible until now VB12 (2013).

The main change between the product '98 and 2002 was the change from relying on Com object to .Net objects.

By the way you use strange enough for VB7 the product version and for VB6 the language version. The product version of VB6 was '98 (1998)

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:11 PM

All replies

• if you can get hold of a 2008 version of vb.net, there is still a converter in there that will do most of the work for you,

otherwise there are some commercial sites that will do it or start all over in .net yourself

if your number of code lines is less then 10k Artinsoft will do it for free, if memory serves me right
    • Edited by Rbie Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:59 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:57 PM
  • You can either find a copy of Visual Basic Express 2008 or Visual Studio 2008, which were the last versions that could "upgrade" a VB 6.0 project to .NET. There is also a third-party tool called Visual Basic Upgrade Companion that can do this as well.

It it also possible to convert the app over time using the Microsoft InteropForms toolkit.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:57 PM
  • if i understand correct your proposals, i must migrate the old application over 2 steps:

first try to convert the old Windows forms from VB6 to VB 2008 and Need for this visual Studio 2008

second step migrate the VB 2008 apps to VB 2013 or are the forms compatible between the 2 Releases?

i have some Sheridan controls, bute i think they must be new created. Ist right?

Thx for your help. I ordered VS 2013 and will beginning to recreate the apps.

Serge

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:23 PM
  • Google search "Convert Visual Basic 6 to Visual Basic 2008"

Rbie's recommendation.

ArtinSoft’s Visual Basic Upgrade Companion (VBUC)

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:25 PM
  • i will Transfer only source code and not objects. I think ist better to recreate all programs and forms with the logic of the old one.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:59 PM
  • Yes, if you use VB Express 2008 or VS 2008 to convert first then the project can be upgraded to VS 2013. The first step is the big step and will likely involve modifying or re-writing code. You may be able to use the Sheridan ActiveX controls in the .NET Windows Forms, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are incompatibilities. I would suspect the developer licenses will need to be installed by running the setup for these ActiveX controls. In any event, I would replace them with controls from .NET after the upgrade.

After you have completed the upgrade to VS 2008 the upgrade to 2013 should be much easier. 

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:04 PM
  • With Sheridan controls and probably more of this stuff I always give the suggestion to start new using the design and old code from VB6.

The converters don't convert them and they are very much relying on Com.

Paul is of course our ActiveX and Com expert, but if you are new to newer versions of VB you will be soon grabbing your hair out of your head trying to convert with those in my idea. 

Be aware that the program languages changes between VB5 and VB6 where in fact more then between VB6 and VB7. Since version VB7 is everything in fact upwards compatible until now VB12 (2013).

The main change between the product '98 and 2002 was the change from relying on Com object to .Net objects.

By the way you use strange enough for VB7 the product version and for VB6 the language version. The product version of VB6 was '98 (1998)

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:11 PM
  • i developed These programs 10 years ago and the customer dont order a maintenance contract.

I think i will rewrite anew all programs.

thy a lot for your comments

best regards

Serge

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:16 AM
  • Hi Paul. i'm trying to convert my Visual Basic(VB) 6 .VBP to Visual Studio 2013. Can i check with you is there a direct wizard tool that allows me to directly convert from Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2013, if i'm able to successful convert my .VBP file from VB 6 to Visual Studio 2008? Were there be any manual editing require or errors i might face while trying to convert from Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2013??

Thankyou. Looking forward to your replies. :)

SGPH

• Edited by SGPH Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:05 AM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:21 AM
  • VS 2013 should handle the project conversion from VS 2008 when you open it. Some changes may be required but generally there are few if any.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Thankyou Paul.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 4:58 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I'm currently facing a problem trying to use Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition to do my first conversion using the 'Wizard tool', but have encountered several problems and only managed to solve minority of them. My original .vbp is able to run perfectly on Visual Basic 6.0 with no errors or warning detected. The problems i'm facing was unable to firstly use the Wizard tool to successfully upgrade my .vbp from Visual Basic 6.0 to Visual Basic 2008 due to references problems. What i did initially to reduces majority of the references error was to use Visual Basic 6.0 to remove majority of references and only remain those standard references as i listed below. However, after doing so the number of errors reduces only remaining errors which all of them pointed to extension .ocX and was unable to come out with a solution for it. I had listed the entire problem message below. I hope to can able to assist or provide me with advises or even solutions to solve this problems. Thankyou Paul, hope to hear from you soon.

Standard References USing 

1. Visual Basic For Applications
    2. Visual Basic runtime objects and procedures
    3. Visual Basic objects and procedures
    4. OLE Automation

Visual Basic Upgrade Wizard error

Upgrade Failed: Exception occurred: Could not load referenced Components:

Msflxgrd.ocx (1.0.0)

mscomctl.ocx(2.0.0)

MSINET.ocx(1.0.0)

RichTx32.ocx(1.2.0)

COMDLG32.OCX(1.2.0)

tabctl32.ocx(1.1.0)

It is recommended you install VB6.0, with akk referenced conmponents, and ensure the appplication compiles and runs before upgrading.

• Edited by SGPH Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:01 AM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:38 AM
  • I think the best way is to open the form in Notepad as txt file where you can retrieve the code.

This is what I finally ended with after struggeling with conversion and compatibility issues.

From there, I definitely prefer to use a new form with my old code.

Have a great coding!

Amer

• Edited by Amer Didi Friday, February 9, 2018 5:50 PM
    Friday, February 9, 2018 5:49 PM