none
Possible BUG TFS 2012 - Build Process Template

Question

• Hi,

I have been an annoying problem trying set up my Build Definition.

I have two team projects, only one presents this problem.

Following this steps:

> New Build Definition

> Process

(No Process Templates Selected)

> Show Details

> New

> Select an existing XAML file

I choose my custom template in $/GMA/Build Templates

> OK

So, the dropdownlist doesn't shows any Build Process File, if I try again I got this error:

TF277000: A build process template for '$/GMA/Build/SKYBuildTemplate.11.1.xaml' already exists for team project GMA. You cannot create another build process template for the same file. Use the existing one instead.

With my other Team Project the dropdownlist shows my template and I have no problem.

I thing the core of the problem is the dropdownlist doesn't shows the build process that I already chose.

Any ideas?
    Thanks to all.

É possível sim! Ponha isso na sua cabeça. É possível. "Steve Jobs"

Eduardo Pires
    www.eduardopires.net.br

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I can tell, it’s as designed feature from Microsoft. I know, it’s not a great piece of GUI design as naturally people would think that by choosing “Select an existing XAML file” option, one is not trying to create new process template. 

Let me try and explain this… 

Microsoft decided to have two buttons next to “Build process file” drop down combo box within Process tab. They are “New” and “Refresh”. Purpose of the “New” button is to allow user to add new entry for any build template within “Build process file” drop down combo box. And “Refresh” button is to refresh parameter list (that is displayed as part of “Build Process Parameters” under “Build process file” drop down combo box) to pick-up any changes that are checked-in to TFS server via XAML file. So, if an entry is already present for a given XAML file in “Build process file” drop down combo box and then you try to select the same via NEW >>> “Select an existing XAML file” >>>> Select your file >>> Oops, it fails with the error that you explained. This error is valid because that file is already added to the “Build process file” drop down combo box. The main purpose of “Select an existing XAML file” option is to allow users to select different location to add files into “Build process file” drop down combo box. 

Here you can think of selecting build template from completely different project. Though the build template could still have same filename (i.e. DefaultTemplate.XAML) but they are present in completely different projects in TFS. 

I strongly believe that in your case, the file that you are trying to select via NEW >>> “Select an existing XAML file” >>>> …. Process has already being added to “Build process file” drop down combo box. So simply select it there without going through the “New” button. 

In the following picture, I have highlighted items with specific terms as explained in the above solution. 

One more suggestion

TFS uses local cache on your computer to speed-up overall process of getting files from TFS server. I suggest you delete your local cache by deleing folder located in your profile. In my case, I close all the Microsoft applications and delete “C:\Users\[MyUserID]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\4.0\Cache” folder. Please note that number 4.0 in these path is for TFS 2012 and number 3.0 is for TFS 2010.

I hope this answers your question and if it does then please mark this reply as answer.

Best Regards,
    Dharmesh Shah.

Wanted to automatically generate release notes from TFS ... Why not look at http://tfschangelog.codeplex.com

Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:09 AM

All replies

• I had the same problem but was able to exit out of Visual Studio, re-open it and click the Refresh button and the template showed up.
    • Proposed as answer by Hank Maxwedge Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by EduardoPiresMVP Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:36 PM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:29 PM
  • It would be awesome if worked for me...

That was the first thing that I tried.

More suggestions?

Eduardo Pires
    www.eduardopires.net.br

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:36 PM
  • Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for your post!

In your team project, click the Surce Control Explorer, in the BuildProcessTemplates, can you see the customized process template? Please compare the BuildProcessTemplates folder between the two team project Source Control Explorer, and see if they are the same.

In addition, when you customize the process template, have you check in the TFS?

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:00 AM
  • Hi Cathy,

Thanks for reply.

My BuildProcessTemplate and containing folder is the same in both projects, is checked, no pending changes.

I think I have a isolated problem in this project.

Eduardo Pires
    www.eduardopires.net.br

Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

As far as I can tell, it’s as designed feature from Microsoft. I know, it’s not a great piece of GUI design as naturally people would think that by choosing “Select an existing XAML file” option, one is not trying to create new process template. 

Let me try and explain this… 

Microsoft decided to have two buttons next to “Build process file” drop down combo box within Process tab. They are “New” and “Refresh”. Purpose of the “New” button is to allow user to add new entry for any build template within “Build process file” drop down combo box. And “Refresh” button is to refresh parameter list (that is displayed as part of “Build Process Parameters” under “Build process file” drop down combo box) to pick-up any changes that are checked-in to TFS server via XAML file. So, if an entry is already present for a given XAML file in “Build process file” drop down combo box and then you try to select the same via NEW >>> “Select an existing XAML file” >>>> Select your file >>> Oops, it fails with the error that you explained. This error is valid because that file is already added to the “Build process file” drop down combo box. The main purpose of “Select an existing XAML file” option is to allow users to select different location to add files into “Build process file” drop down combo box. 

Here you can think of selecting build template from completely different project. Though the build template could still have same filename (i.e. DefaultTemplate.XAML) but they are present in completely different projects in TFS. 

I strongly believe that in your case, the file that you are trying to select via NEW >>> “Select an existing XAML file” >>>> …. Process has already being added to “Build process file” drop down combo box. So simply select it there without going through the “New” button. 

In the following picture, I have highlighted items with specific terms as explained in the above solution. 

One more suggestion

TFS uses local cache on your computer to speed-up overall process of getting files from TFS server. I suggest you delete your local cache by deleing folder located in your profile. In my case, I close all the Microsoft applications and delete “C:\Users\[MyUserID]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\4.0\Cache” folder. Please note that number 4.0 in these path is for TFS 2012 and number 3.0 is for TFS 2010.

I hope this answers your question and if it does then please mark this reply as answer.

Best Regards,
    Dharmesh Shah.

Wanted to automatically generate release notes from TFS ... Why not look at http://tfschangelog.codeplex.com

Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Hi dharmesh.shah,

Your explanation was so good. Unfortunately I had to give up and start a new Team Project, because I didn't have more time to solve this problem and I had to start from the beginning again.

In the new team project all the things (build included) worked with no problem.

Anyway, I think your explanation will be valid for another users and I'll keep this checked as answer.

Thank you.

Eduardo Pires
    www.eduardopires.net.br

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:54 PM
  • Hello:

I try the config  one nuew build definition in Visual Studio 2012.

In tab Porcess  not show any Process Template.

Any Suggestions about That?

Jose Adrien

Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:28 PM