none
Confusion on dotnet core deployment.

Question

• I'm trying to navigate the MS documentation on dotnet core. 

It's pretty clear on how to download and install the SDK on my development PC.

But I need to know, and cannot find any documentation, that describes what it is that should be installed on my production server so I can run my dotnet core apps. 

I have both console and asp.net core apps that will be deployed soon. 

The console apps are scheduled jobs that will be installed on one server. And the asp.net core apps will be installed on our web server. 

Both servers are Windows Server 2016.

I don't think I should be installing the SDK on my server, right? 

Anyone know?

Friday, February 9, 2018 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>But I need to know, and cannot find any documentation, that describes what it is that should be installed on my production server so I can run my dotnet core apps.

.NET Core SDK is a set of libraries and tools that allow developers to create .NET Core applications and libraries.

It contains the following components:

1.The .NET Core Command Line Tools that are used to build applications

2..NET Core (libraries and runtime) that allow applications to both be built and run

3.The dotnet driver for running the CLI commands as well as running applications

In your production server, you don't need to install the .net SDK again.  

This forum is to talk about visual studio IDE, if you still have problems about it, I recommend you go to Microsoft asp.net core forum. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 12, 2018 6:17 AM

• This forum is to talk about visual studio IDE

Joyce, really? The title of this forum is: ".NET Framework Setup and Servicing". 

Oh, and BTW, I'm not asking about asp.net core. I need to deploy dotnet core console apps. 
    Monday, February 12, 2018 3:12 PM
  • Hi Cosmo,

If you deploy a project, that means you have made them into an installation package or an executable file(.exe), you do not need to install another environment.

I do not know how do you deploy your project, as far as I know, ClickOnce or MSI will package an application, then you can install it even without .net framework.

Regards,

Frankie

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:25 AM
  • Hi Cosmo,

If you deploy a project, that means you have made them into an installation package or an executable file(.exe), you do not need to install another environment.

I do not know how do you deploy your project, as far as I know, ClickOnce or MSI will package an application, then you can install it even without .net framework.

Regards,

Frankie

Hi Frankie, thanks for the reply. I found a page yesterday that talks about two ways to build your package/app for release/deployment. One being Framework Dependent Deployment (FDD). And the other being Self Contained Deployment (SCD). Both can be built with the CLI. FDD relies on the dotnet core runtime that is installed on the target machine. And that runtime is shared between all FDD apps. Whereas, as the name suggests, SCD includes the runtime that the app is built against.

We will be installing many jobs that are run on a schedule, so I'm thinking I may go the FDD route so all our jobs use a shared runtime. Interestingly all the pages I read yesterday talked about this mystical shared runtime, but never tell you where to go get it. Or even what the package is officially called. However I did find that on the MS dotnet core download page there is a distinction between SDK and Runtime, and there is even a package for an IIS Hosting environment. So I'm going to assume that in my use case we need the plain old Runtime on the target machine. 

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 3:59 PM
  • Hi,

>>Joyce, really? The title of this forum is: ".NET Framework Setup and Servicing". 
    Oh, and BTW, I'm not asking about asp.net core. I need to deploy dotnet core console apps. 

Sorry, this forum is to talk about the installation of .net framework, I recommend you go to Windows Forms > ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum to talk about the problems of deploying applications.

Best regards,

Joyce

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:31 AM