none
TFS 2013.4 - Upgrade SQL Edition

Question

• Hi,

i was not able to find any documentation about this.

We are currently running TFS 2013.4 with SQL 2012 Standard.

We would like to upgrade to SQL 2014 Enterprise.

Is there anything special we need to do when upgrading the SQL Database server to another edition and version ?

Is this documented somewhere ?

Looking forward to the steps we need to take, i can imagine if its not as simple as loading the databases on the new Enterprise server.

Nico

Friday, December 30, 2016 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hi nsijtsma,

Thank you for posting here.

Note:Please Backup the database before upgrade anyway.

There are two schemes for you:

Scheme A:

In-place upgrade of the 2012 instance to 2014 ,and you do not need to re-configure the TFS.

Scheme B:

1.Take a full backup of the TFS database in TFS Administration Console.

2.Remove the AT feature in TFS Console.

3.Install the new 2014 instance.

4.Run the restore database in TFS Console to restore the database to the new 2014 instalce.

But I suggest that you use the Scheme B instead of Scheme A, because in-place upgrade is commonly not recommended, it will take more risk.

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 02, 2017 3:22 AM

All replies

• Hi nsijtsma,

Thank you for posting here.

Note:Please Backup the database before upgrade anyway.

There are two schemes for you:

Scheme A:

In-place upgrade of the 2012 instance to 2014 ,and you do not need to re-configure the TFS.

Scheme B:

1.Take a full backup of the TFS database in TFS Administration Console.

2.Remove the AT feature in TFS Console.

3.Install the new 2014 instance.

4.Run the restore database in TFS Console to restore the database to the new 2014 instalce.

But I suggest that you use the Scheme B instead of Scheme A, because in-place upgrade is commonly not recommended, it will take more risk.

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 02, 2017 3:22 AM
  • We are now picking up this activity.

Im leaning towards a Scheme B kind of path, can you confirm this is enough ? i dont really feel like re-installing the AT, i dont feel that should be nececairy, but please confirm

- Backup the SQL Databases
    - Detach the TFS Collections
    - Stop the TFS Application Tier & SQL Reporting service
    - InPlace SQL Server upgrade 2012 STD to 2014 SP2 STD
    - Start the TFS Application Tier
    - Attach the collection
    - Test

Some background, we run a dual server setup. 1 application tier + sql reporting and 1 SQL Database tier.

Please let me know if im missing anything. we need to perform the upgrade this weekend.

Nico

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Hi msijtsma,

Yes, please just to remember to take a backup of the databases before the upgrade.

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:31 AM
  • Obviously, thanks :)

Nico

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:34 PM