none
How do I assess which elements of my app are slowing it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an app that starts out fresh as a daisy but can slow down quickly.

Is there a way to assess how much time is spent on each subroutine or what might be the cause?

• Edited by sgrya1 Friday, November 29, 2019 6:50 PM
    Friday, November 29, 2019 6:49 PM

All replies

• In Visual Studio - ALT + F2 (or menu - Tools/Analyse/Performance Profiler)

Also, Debug, Windows, Show Diagnostic Tools.

Read more:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/profiling/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/profiling/beginners-guide-to-performance-profiling?view=vs-2019

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/profiling/profiling-feature-tour?view=vs-2019

Plus search these forums for identical questions and solutions.

#PEJL
    Got any nice code? If you invest time in coding an elegant, novel or impressive answer on MSDN forums, why not copy it over to TechNet Wiki, for future generations to benefit from! You'll never get archived again, and you could win weekly awards!

Have you got what it takes to become this month's TechNet Technical Guru? Join a long list of well known community big hitters, show your knowledge and prowess in your favoured technologies!

Friday, November 29, 2019 7:39 PM
  • Hi sgrya1,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>> Is there a way to assess how much time is spent on each subroutine?

## For your requirement, you could refer to this thread: Precisely measure execution time of code in thread (C#) to measure the execution time of code in thread(C#).

>> Or what might be the cause?

## Not sure which kind of application do you use, do you use some methods to waiting for threads and maybe cost much time? Or perhaps, the task itself has cost much time. Also, I’m not sure if your application takes up too much memory resources. You might could check these points.

BTW, you could refer to Pete’s suggestions to analyze your application.

Hope all above could help you.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 2, 2019 7:50 AM
  • Hi sgrya1,

Sorry to disturb you.

Did you have any update? Please feel free to let us know if the issue persists.

According to your description,  I have something to confirm with you. Could you please share us your project type? And what is your Visual Studio edition?

In addition, whether the suggestions given by Pete Later and Tianyu are helpful  to you. I suggest you could try to use profiling tools to assess your application performance.

For your requirement, I suppose you could also refer to the link to help you assess work of your application.

Hope all above will help you.

Best Regards,

Anna

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:41 AM