none
Unable to debug Windows Store App, access denied RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have several UWP Apps that I have developed using Microsoft Visual Studio 2017. Several months I was able to debug all of them. 

After the April 2018 Windows 10 Update: Windows 10, version 1803

I also updated Visual Studio 2017 to its latest, and also updated the Windows 10 SDK. So I thought everything is in order.

I made sure that my Windows environment is in Developer Mode.

I decided to update my App. I simply ran the app in debug mode using Visual Studio 2017, after successful compile, I immediately get this message:

unable to debug Windows Store App(path of my app)  access is denied.

I got the same message for all my Apps.  I then tried to create a very basic UWP app. Ran it, and got same Access is denied message.  I know It is not a folder permission issue. 

So can someone please point me how to fix this?

I would appreciate any help. 

Thank you.

Samuel

Friday, September 14, 2018 7:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since you could not debug even a blank app, it seems to be more related to the Visual studio. I'll help you to move this thread to Visual Studio General Questions Forum. You could get more help about VS there.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 17, 2018 3:13 AM
  • Hi Sam Jocelyn,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum!

What’s debug option you choose? Start Debugging or Start Without Debugging?

Could you please check if you run VS with administrator privilege or not. If not, please test it again.

On the other hand, I suggest you to eliminate third-party software and some Extension caused the issue firstly. To disable all anti-virus and firewall,  Run command line devenv.exe /safemode. If everything all right, please go to Tools-> Extensions and Updates to uninstall extensions one by one.

After that, reboot your computer and re-try it again.

Best Regards,

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, September 17, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your post regarding my problem with debugging Universal Windows Apps with Visual Studio 2017.

Well, I tried the safemode approach. When I do, and attempt to open my UWA projects, VS does not load the project but shown "needs migration", I had to reopen VS in normal mode to open the projects. I don't have third-party extensions. This problem actually is happening on 2 separate laptop. One of the laptop is very new and with a clean install of VS 2017.  This started to happen after the last April 2018 Windows feature update. <o:p></o:p>

I disabled all Antivirus software. 

I can start the Windows Store App, "Without debugging" it is the VS 2017 debugging that seems broken. But why would it be broken in a brand new install? I am an administrator on my laptops. The App compiles and can be deployed without debugging. If I initiate a debug, then I get access denied.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Samuel

Thursday, September 27, 2018 3:07 PM