none
No info found to date: 8.0.50727.4053 CRT merge modules fails to install on x64 but ok on x86

Question

• (If there is a better forum to make this posting then please inform me. Statistically, a number of merge module problems found their way into the general C++ forum) .

I have been distributing the x86+x64 8.0.50727.762 merge modules for years with my apps and have had zero problems .

I just upgraded to the VC2005 SP1 "Security update" that everyone will be aware of. My x86+x64 merge modules got updated to 8.0.50727.4053 as I had wanted and expected. I now find that the x64 installation of my app fails when the .4053 merge modules come to their publishing stag e.

Error wise, let me quote this other Microsoft posting which presently has no answer since it has the same GUID + error number :

https://connect.microsoft.com/onecare/feedback/details/540113/vs-2005-sp1-win64-version-8-0-50727-4053?wa=wsignin1.0

Product: PolyTrans (x64) -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the
    installation of assembly component
    {844EFBA7-1C24-93B2-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}. HRESULT: 0x80073715. assembly
    interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, assembly name:
    Microsoft.VC80.CRT,version="8.0.50727.4053",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e1
    8e3b",processorArchitecture="amd64",type="win32"

The 0x80073715 error indicates:
    ERROR_SXS_MANIFEST_IDENTITY_SAME_BUT_CONTENTS_DIFFERENT

My installation is to a development computer, Windows Server 2008 x64, which would basically be equivalent to a Windows x64 Seven machine. Based on the other postings it seems this .4053 can't be installed on x64 Vista or Seven. I've been using merge modules for almost 5 years, as most developers have, without any related problems to da te. I have a vendor who can replicate this problem on several of their Windows 7, XPSp2 and Vista machines.

My merge module is microsoft_vc80_crt_x86_x64.msm, dated July 12 2009.

I've scoured the Internet for possible solutions but I don't see many others with this problem. Hence, as my last resort, I've opted for the Microsoft forums where there's been good feedback in the past to my most obscure problem .

Thanks for any insight. This is an important problem I need to fix asap .
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:10 AM

Answers

• Well, the Redists are made from the same things as the merge modules so it is probably not as unrelated as you think.

But regardless, the best way to contact from here is through the Visual Studio connection. You can find it at http://connect.microsoft.com and navigate to the Visual Studio and .NET connection, you can submit a bug report there.

Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.
    Visit my (not very good) blog at
    http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by rcl-vid Friday, May 14, 2010 2:39 PM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:35 PM

All replies

• Well, I can say for sure that at least using the VC Redist it is possible to install both x86 and x64 on a Windows 7 x64 machine. Under my winsxs directory I currently have

amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_88e046c92fae6f57

and

x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_d08d7da0442a985d

amongst others. So I suggest you try it on a completely clean test system yourself, see if using the VC Redist if you can then going from there. I think the next stage would be to use the merge modules on a clean test system then try installing one or both of the redists.

But the thing which you should check first in this test is if it fails if the same version of the same platform runtime is installed already.

Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:01 PM
  • "Well, I can say for sure that at least using the VC Redist it is possible to install both x86 and x64 on a Windows 7 x64 machine. Under my winsxs directory I currently have .... mongst others"

Yes, this would be the case with many/most people, including many of my x64 machine, but it does not answer or relate to my posting. I have a valid application for which the official Microsoft x64 .4053 merge modules fail on known machines, both inside and outside my company. It has been seen by others long before I posted this problem today. I myself was randomly fortunate to un-install many CRTs and updates from Microsoft before I tripped across a case where the installer would finally run. However, I had one of my OEM vendors remove all of his CRT updates + distributions, and he still cannot get the .4053 x64 past the "publish" stage.

Where and how may I get Microsoft to examine this issue? I've spent months and months working with Microsoft core development people, but only after submitting to paid support cases. This is such a generic problem that I hope this case can be addressed by Microsoft general tech support early this week. The other posting elsewhere went unanswered, yet it is a real and viable problem to solve.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:20 PM
  • Well, the Redists are made from the same things as the merge modules so it is probably not as unrelated as you think.

But regardless, the best way to contact from here is through the Visual Studio connection. You can find it at http://connect.microsoft.com and navigate to the Visual Studio and .NET connection, you can submit a bug report there.

• Marked as answer by rcl-vid Friday, May 14, 2010 2:39 PM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:35 PM