none
VS 2015 Extentions and Updates (Microsoft Azure SDK 2.8.1.0/2.8.2.0) RRS feed

• Question

• I have VS 2015 Enterprise with Update 1. From the Extensions and Updates window, It says I have an update for Microsoft Azure SDK. Current Version 2.8.1.0 New Version 2.8.2.0. When I click on update, I am directed to https://www.microsoft.com/web/handlers/webpi.ashx/getinstaller/VS2015AzurePack.appids where I download the Web Installer. 1st time I run installer and everything completed OK. However, back in VS 2015, it still shows that My installed Version is 2.8.1.0. When I go back to the installer, nothing is done because it says version 2.8.2.0 already installed!. I have uninstalled the SDK from programs and features (control panel) but after re-installation I am back to square one!. My OS is Windows 10 Ent x64.
    Friday, February 12, 2016 6:12 AM

Answers

• Where can I download the release (2.8.2.1) you are referring to?

It is available in the Microsoft Web Platform installer though it still shows it as version 2.8.2 and will now allow you to install (which may take awhile).
    • Marked as answer by David Nyaoso Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:07 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 5:10 AM

All replies

• I have VS 2015 Enterprise with Update 1. From the Extensions and Updates window, It says I have an update for Microsoft Azure SDK. Current Version 2.8.1.0 New Version 2.8.2.0. When I click on update, I am directed to https://www.microsoft.com/web/handlers/webpi.ashx/getinstaller/VS2015AzurePack.appids where I download the Web Installer. 1st time I run installer and everything completed OK. However, back in VS 2015, it still shows that My installed Version is 2.8.1.0. When I go back to the installer, nothing is done because it says version 2.8.2.0 already installed!. I have uninstalled the SDK from programs and features (control panel) but after re-installation I am back to square one!. My OS is Windows 10 Ent x64.

I dismissed the notification in my Visual Studio 2015 Community with Update 1, and now I do not see the notification any more, but it is also not listed under "Notifications" in Settings so I can unhide it, either. I did a lot of the same stuff you did, too, except I never saw an individual entry for the SDK in my Programs and Features, but I tried uninstalling all of the Azure stuff (what it would let me), reinstalling, then repairing the entire Visual Studio 2015 installation, then going to Microsoft.com and downloading all of the components of Azure SDK manually and reinstalling/repairing, hoping it would catch whatever it thinks is flagged as "2.8.1" and upgrade it to "2.8.2". But I still don't have any idea what it thinks is still 2.8.1 or why.
    Friday, February 12, 2016 10:23 AM
  • I have the same issue.

But with VS 2015 Professional.

Friday, February 12, 2016 2:56 PM
  • I have the same issue.

I installed VS2015 Professional Update 1 a couple of hours ago, and I'm still cleaning up. In Extensions and Updates, Updates, Product Updates, I show "Microsoft Azure SDK 2.82." It says the current version is 2.7, the New Version is 2.8.2.0. Whenever I click on update, a package downloads and run, I see a window that says Web Platform 5 installer. Then it says "Unable to download the product list from . Check your network connection and try again. If the problem persists, report the issue on the Web Platform Installer 5.0 forum " at a go.microsoft.com address I can't post here because the forum says it hasn't verified my account. . I'm going to try posting there next.

Friday, February 12, 2016 8:38 PM
  • I have the same issue.

I installed VS2015 Professional Update 1 a couple of hours ago, and I'm still cleaning up. In Extensions and Updates, Updates, Product Updates, I show "Microsoft Azure SDK 2.82." It says the current version is 2.7, the New Version is 2.8.2.0. Whenever I click on update, a package downloads and run, I see a window that says Web Platform 5 installer. Then it says "Unable to download the product list from . Check your network connection and try again. If the problem persists, report the issue on the Web Platform Installer 5.0 forum " at a go.microsoft.com address I can't post here because the forum says it hasn't verified my account. . I'm going to try posting there next.

Well, I can help with that at least. You will probably need to download the Azure SDK components manually from the Microsoft download page. To do that, please go here. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50041

However, you are better off getting the Web Platform installer working if at all possible. I would try uninstalling the web platform installer from your programs and then reinstalling it (which you can do by using of the web install packs) like from the link below:

http://www.asp.net/downloads

• Edited by Byroniac0 Friday, February 12, 2016 8:45 PM Add some information
    Friday, February 12, 2016 8:42 PM
  • Thank you for the pointers. The problem persists:

I uninstalled my Web Platform 5 installer, then downloaded a fresh copy from Microsoft.com webdownloads/platform.aspx site. It installed ok, but it has the same version number and has the same problem when I press the update button in VS 2015 Pro, for Microsoft Azure 2.8.2.

When I went to the asp.net downloads link you posted above and clicked on the "Azure SDK for VS 2015" link I was getting an error message, but now it offers to download the community pack .exe. I'd rather try to get it working through VS2015 and the Web Installer, as you suggested though, so I haven't done it.

When use the link the Web Installer 5 error message gives me when I attempt to update, it takes me to an IIS site forum at forums.iis.net  /1155.aspx  . That led me to a couple of threads describing similar problems:  "Install failure for Azure SDK - Azure App Service Tools v2.8.2", and "Microsoft Azure SDK for VS 2015 failed to Install". They don't seem identical to this. They're only in the ballpark. I'd like to post, but that forum isn't allowing posts at the moment due to maintenance. I'll reboot this system, wait a bit, then post logfiles there if the problem persists.

Thanks for the pointers.

Friday, February 12, 2016 9:27 PM
  • Thank you for the pointers. The problem persists:

I uninstalled my Web Platform 5 installer, then downloaded a fresh copy from Microsoft.com webdownloads/platform.aspx site. It installed ok, but it has the same version number and has the same problem when I press the update button in VS 2015 Pro, for Microsoft Azure 2.8.2.

When I went to the asp.net downloads link you posted above and clicked on the "Azure SDK for VS 2015" link I was getting an error message, but now it offers to download the community pack .exe. I'd rather try to get it working through VS2015 and the Web Installer, as you suggested though, so I haven't done it.

When use the link the Web Installer 5 error message gives me when I attempt to update, it takes me to an IIS site forum at forums.iis.net  /1155.aspx  . That led me to a couple of threads describing similar problems:  "Install failure for Azure SDK - Azure App Service Tools v2.8.2", and "Microsoft Azure SDK for VS 2015 failed to Install". They don't seem identical to this. They're only in the ballpark. I'd like to post, but that forum isn't allowing posts at the moment due to maintenance. I'll reboot this system, wait a bit, then post logfiles there if the problem persists.

Thanks for the pointers.

If I'm not mistaken, that Community Pack also reinstalls the Web Installer Platform (if necessary) and then uses it to download the requested package (Azure SDK). You just did the same thing in two steps instead of one, it sounds like. But it's the first problem in the OP of this thread that I think Microsoft will have to resolve, and I hope they resolve it soon as it is an irritating problem. I am tempted to use the Web Installer Platform to install VS Express for Web with Azure SDK 2.8.2 and then uninstall the VS Express for Web but that is a lot of trouble to go to, with no guarantee of success.
    Friday, February 12, 2016 9:43 PM
  • Hi David,

I had the same problems that you described. WebPI wouldn't let me install 2.8.2 because it thought it was already installed, but VS keeps offering the update because it thinks 2.8.1 is installed.

If you click on the VS 2015 link in this article, it seems to download a different file than the one that VS is using, and this file does allow 2.8.2 to install.

I can't say yet if it will be successful as it's currently installing as I write this.

Yann Duran

- Co-Author of Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011

- Author of the "A Reluctant Web Developer" blog

• Edited by Yann Duran Sunday, February 14, 2016 12:47 PM removed html from sig block
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 12:30 PM
  • Did not work for me .. it is the same installation i get through VS 2015 .. 
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 3:53 PM
  • Hi David,

I had the same problems that you described. WebPI wouldn't let me install 2.8.2 because it thought it was already installed, but VS keeps offering the update because it thinks 2.8.1 is installed.

If you click on the VS 2015 link in this article, it seems to download a different file than the one that VS is using, and this file does allow 2.8.2 to install.

I can't say yet if it will be successful as it's currently installing as I write this.

Yann Duran

- Co-Author of Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011

- Author of the "A Reluctant Web Developer" blog

Doesn't work for me, either. Web PI comes up and says it is already installed. And of course VS 2015 (Community Ed. Update 1 in my case) thinks it's not.
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:38 PM
  • @Peter, @Byroniac0,

That's odd, because it certainly did work for me. The install finished, and VS no longer prompts me to upgrade.

I just tried running it again to see what would happen. This time it told me that 2.8.2 was already installed.

Yann Duran - Co-Author of Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 - Author of the "A Reluctant Web Developer" Blog

Monday, February 15, 2016 12:48 AM
  • @Peter, @Byroniac0,

That's odd, because it certainly did work for me. The install finished, and VS no longer prompts me to upgrade.

I just tried running it again to see what would happen. This time it told me that 2.8.2 was already installed.

Yann Duran - Co-Author of Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 - Author of the "A Reluctant Web Developer" Blog

I love Visual Studio but I frequently have problems and irritations with it, and this problem is not the only one I am having right now (the other so far was not being able to create a self-signed certificate and I had to grant myself access rights to a C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys folder which should not be necessary, and had I not found a discussion about this on Bing, I would never have resolved it). Visual Studio is a very powerful but easily broken and sometimes irritating tool.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 1:51 AM
  • I have a side by side installation of VS 2015 Enterprise and VS 2013 Ultimate.

I uninstalled all versions of Azure, both for VS 2013 and VS 2015 from control panel. I also uninstalled from within VS Extensions and Updates.[Even after complete uninstall, VS showed that Azure SDK was still installed 2.8.0 (VS2015) and 2.8.1 (VS2013)]!!

The picture shows the state before  uninstall.

I then run the following installers: VWDOrVs2015AzurePack.2E2.2E8.exe and VWDOrVs2013AzurePack.2E2.2E8.exe   Now VS 2015 claims I have 2.8.0 installed and VS 2013 claims I have 2.8.1 installed. Both show 2.8.2 as available for update!

Programs and Features before Uninstall

• Edited by David Nyaoso Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:03 AM Correction
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Well, today's 2.8.2.1 release seemed to solve the problem....I'll take it.
    • Proposed as answer by Dan Begallie Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:18 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:11 PM
  • Well, today's 2.8.2.1 release seemed to solve the problem....I'll take it.

Fixed mine as well! (thumbs up). Took FOREVER to install, though (translation: more than five minutes).
    • Edited by Byroniac0 Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:23 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:21 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 5:01 AM

It is available in the Microsoft Web Platform installer though it still shows it as version 2.8.2 and will now allow you to install (which may take awhile).
    • Marked as answer by David Nyaoso Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:07 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 5:10 AM
  • Thanks. Already downloaded 2.8.2.1 and installed on VS 2013 and VS 2015. Everything as expected. (Note my install took just as long as the previous installers. No significant change in lapsed time!)

• Marked as answer by David Nyaoso Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by David Nyaoso Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:07 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 5:41 AM