none
Future game development RRS feed

• General discussion

• What will be the future of game development in VB.net, specifically in win form apps? I've read about Microsoft abandoning XNA, will it go back to DirectX or will it be something else?

If you found my post helpful, please give me a recognition point on the left hand side of my post.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:32 PM

All replies

• Steve Balmer might know. I guess that anyone else can speculate, for what it's worth.

Regards David R
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones.
    Object-oriented programming offers a sustainable way to write spaghetti code. - Paul Graham.
    Every program eventually becomes rococo, and then rubble. - Alan Perlis
    The only valid measurement of code quality: WTFs/minute.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:39 PM
  • If someone's crystal ball works well enough to answer this, can they also tell me which stock to buy so I can retire tomorrow?  =P

In all seriousness though, I'm curious where you read that XNA is being abandoned...

I'd just keep an eye on the official MS sites and see what happens:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/centrum-xna.aspx

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Sorry y'all, didn't know if anything has come out yet. As for the XNA being abandoned, I guess abandoned is a bad word, more like phasing out, but check out this link.

If you found my post helpful, please give me a recognition point on the left hand side of my post.

Friday, May 10, 2013 10:24 PM
  • VB was never the tool for game development outside the area of tic tac. 

So don't ask this related to vB.

'

Success
    Cor

Friday, May 10, 2013 11:04 PM
  • Sorry y'all, didn't know if anything has come out yet. As for the XNA being abandoned, I guess abandoned is a bad word, more like phasing out, but check out this link.

Ah ok, I'd pay that no mind.  Pure speculation based on information likely presented out of context.

Rest assured whatever the next thing is, whenever it comes, there will be a migration path for the developer to move forward from XNA.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:00 AM

'

Success
    Cor

That's not fair, I had many text adventures and a nifty hang-man game in GW-BASIC and who can forget QBASIC Nibbles and Gorillas!  =)

And since XNA Game Studio works with either VB or C#, the .Net Framework can be used to make video games.  The language doesn't matter.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:06 AM

'

Success
    Cor

I don't know, I'm able to do some pretty cool stuff using XNA in vb.net. Most high level languages aren't intended for game development, that's when platforms like XNA and DirecX come in.

Monday, May 13, 2013 10:18 PM