none
Having different subnets attached to one VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My question is fairly simple, I have a VM with two NICs, and I would like to attached more than one subnet range to this.

Example, 

VMTest01

Nic1 - 192.168.0.10/24

Nic2 - 10.0.0.10/24

I can see there is an ability to create a VNET with an overarching subnet and break this down into further subnets e.g.

192.168.0.0/8

Nic1 - 192.168.1.0/24

Nic2 - 192.168.2.0/24

and so on.

However there appears to be no way of attaching more than one VNET to a VM per say that I can see. I couldn't see how to attach another NIC which is against another VNET. My requirement is to have completely disparate subnets on my VM.

Is this possible in Azure Stack and if so how?

Cheers

G

• Edited by G2017 Tuesday, April 9, 2019 10:58 AM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 10:55 AM

All replies

• It is possible to have Multiple NICS in multiple subnets attached to a single VM in Azure Stack, but it is a limit with both Azure and Azure Stack that the NICs must be within the same VNET. 

If you want to join a VM into another VNET, you can use a point to site connection. 

In most cases, if a VM needs the ability to communicate with 2 networks you can use a S2S VPN to join the 2 networks, and then use Network Security Groups to allow or deny access. 

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 10:13 PM
  • Not sure I'm following on this, how would I attach the 2nd NIC to another network/S2S VPN? I can only see the option for a NIC to be attached to a subnet/IP config inside the VNET.

• Edited by G2017 Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:44 AM
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:43 AM
  • Unfortunately what you are trying to do is not possible. You cannot have multiple NICs attached to a single VM that are in different VNETs, they must be in the same VNET. They can be in different subnets inside that VNET, but they HAVE to be in the same VNET. 

your VM can use the NIC in 1 VNET to go across the S2S VPN and communicate with the other network. 

A lot of these concepts can be fairly confusing, please let me know if you need any additional info or clarification!

Friday, April 12, 2019 12:30 AM
  • Thank you for clarifying on this, quite a limitation of the product for something so trivial hey. Do you know if this is a roadmap item and when we might see it?
    Friday, April 12, 2019 7:16 AM
  • I do not believe that this is currently on the roadmap, as this is a fundamental design choice for all of Azure, along with Azure Stack. 

If you would like us to add this feature in the future, please leave your feedback Here

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 12:17 AM