none
Visual studio solution explorer not showing form cs file RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenly my Visual Studio 2015 Community Update 2, doesnt display the class (or classes) of forms cs file.

It should be:

but actually i get:

the class BuscadorAlimentos is not shown, but any other .cs file shows its classes.....

well in fact the class appears:

just under form.designer.cs!!!!

Any help please?

• Edited by menorca Friday, June 3, 2016 12:50 AM
    • Moved by lake Xiao Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:12 AM
    Friday, June 3, 2016 12:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

can you check the properties of the file please?

So for example: I get this behaviour when I set the "Build Action" to "None" inside the properties of form.cs file.

But the correct setting is "Compile" of course because it contains code that should be compiled.

Also make sure that it contains valid code - the class is only shown if the class is defined in there.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, June 3, 2016 5:16 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks Konrad for ur reply but... No, the file behavior is set to "Compile"....

So it is not that issue!!

Friday, June 3, 2016 7:38 AM
  • Have you tried to open the solution on another machine?

If possible, maybe simplify and publish a small solution (on OneDrive) that reproduces the problem.

Friday, June 3, 2016 8:15 AM
  • Thats for ur reply Viorel_, but the solution works perfectly well. The issue is general for ALL THE APPLICATIONS i have in my machine. To open code I need to use the option into context menu. And solutions are displayed well in Solution Explorer in other machines with VS 2015.

I am sorry but it seems like somethings is desynchronized..... i got  this same issue in StackOverflow:

HERE and the solution the guy found is reinstall all vs 2015. Well knowing that you have to uninstall all the vs 2015 (a task completely amazing after the application patches and patches and adding addons) without knowing the consequences and the long time to reinstall everything or to repair it (it takes more than 10 hours to repair in my computer!!) well if i want to earn money with this... i can not do that. But it is true that nobody in Microsoft gives us any solution... but the typical reinstall, repair.. and so on....

Friday, June 3, 2016 9:23 AM
  • Hi menorca,

>>The issue is general for ALL THE APPLICATIONS i have in my machine

If the new created windows form application has the same issue, and it works well in other machine, please try the following at first.

Please restore the settings of your Visual Studio(Tools->Import and Export Settings->Reset All Settings)

Then run your Visual Studio in safe mode to check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it (devenv /safemode).

If above suggestions still no help. Repair your Visual Studio looks like the the best workaround for you.

Of course, if a blank winform app still has this issue, maybe we would think about the project template loaded before you re-install it.

1. Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE); 2. Delete the ItemTemplatesCacheProjectTemplatesCache folder; 3. Open Visual Studio Command Prompt (2015) under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator); Run the devenv /InstallVSTemplates switch; Run the devenv /Setup switch

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, June 6, 2016 2:11 AM
  • Hello, just trying to do ur first suggestion .....

I got errors while reseting all settings:

Error 1:  Failed to export settings for '#1009' [code 7371]
    Error 2:  An error occurred while importing settings for 'Extensions and Updates' [code 5616].
    Error 3:  An error occurred while importing settings for '#1009' [code 5611].
    Error 4:  An error occurred while importing settings for 'CoffeeScript' [code 5611].
    Error 5:  A fatal error has occurred that prevented settings from being reset.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 6:22 AM
  • Hi  menorca,

Since the issue is general for ALL THE APPLICATIONS. And now you can't restore the settings. I suppose there might be something wrong with your Visual Studio installation. If possible, please help to collect the VS installation logs then we will help to check whether it exists some errors.

please use  http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to  https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

• Edited by lake Xiao Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:41 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

I have deleted ItemTemplatesCacheProjectTemplatesCache folders.  and run the devenv /InstallVSTemplates . When i open visual studio it says "Cannot load Team Foundation server extensions".  So now i am repairing VS 2015 Community Upddate 2.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 10:45 AM
  • hi, 19 hours later and still REPAIRING.....
    Friday, June 17, 2016 5:33 AM
  • Hi menorca,

From your description, sounds like that your VS 2015 Update 2 didn't install well on your machine.

Normally, repair shouldn't take up so much time. did you repair it from Control Panel?

Considering of your network connection, you may have to download or insert a good iso to repair your VS.

VS 2015 update 2 iso Microsoft official download link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

VS 2015update 2  iso files SHA-1 Values link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-iso-sha1-vs.aspx

PS: To make sure whether your package is corrupted or not,

please use FCIV.exe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290  to verify hash of the ISO

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 17, 2016 6:57 AM
  • Hi, I have tried from ISO, from Control Panel..... and nothing helps it!!!!. Going to give a last chance using the new ISO i have JUST downloaded.... but i am skeptical...
    Friday, June 17, 2016 7:18 AM
  • After repair... only got team foundation server extensions WORKING, but the original problem is still there!!!!

Friday, June 17, 2016 2:32 PM
  • Hi menorca,

How about testing with a new created application?

If still has the same problem. Please help to collect the installation logs.

please use  http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to  https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, June 20, 2016 1:35 AM
  • hello,

you can find logs Mi OneDrive  , hope it helps

Best regards.

Menorca

Monday, June 20, 2016 5:44 PM
  • Hi Menorca,

It tells me the item might not exist or no long available when open the link your shared.

Please try to upload the installation log again.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 1:05 AM
  • My wrong I guess... here it is again: My OneDrive

Best regards!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 3:38 AM
  • Hi menorca,

It seems like the log file is still invalid. I also tried it in my colleague's machine.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

sorry but i dont understand why it hapens.. here it comes again:

Hope THIS WORKS NOW

hope this works now.

I have used an correct ISO and now it goes even WORSE.... i am absolutely desperate

Thanks

Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:40 PM
  • Hi menorca,

I still can't open the installation logs. It tells me that the log is not invaild. Can you open the log in your side?

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, June 27, 2016 7:41 AM
  • Hello,

I dont understand what happens.. but to be sure i have uploaded the last logs after repair my vs 2015 community with a fresh download of an ISO. Nothing has changed still the same problem with the classes on "Solution Explorer", and now added a NOT loading the Connectedservices  when i load a new or an old solution...... SO REPAIRING IS NOT WORKING... i still can work with solutions and compile them and debug... but all the application tends to have "Memory problems", and many things get deactivated. I am really astonish the way of working of this product....and the easy way it gets messed up....degrading quickly its performance.

Here there are LOGS and this works for me

Thanks

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 6:59 AM
  • Hi menorca,

I have found some error in your installation logs. I moved it to our installation forum for better support.

I think you will get a better reply there.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:12 AM
  • Hi menorca,

I checked your log and find the following error message:

Action start 19:26:20: NetFxScheduleNativeImage.
    SchedNetFx:  Error 0x80070003: failed to call FindFirstFileW with string C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\*
    SchedNetFx:  Error 0x80070003: failed to search for ngen under path C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\

It indicates that the cause may be pending on your .net framework and VS itself.

Firstly, please use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to check if the .NET Framework is ok. 
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

If you find there is anything wrong with .NET Framework, you may use Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool to do a repair,

This tool detects and tries to fix some frequently occurring issues with the setup of Microsoft .NET Framework or with updates to the Microsoft .NET Framework.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Then, you could use a good VS 2015 Update 2 ISO to repair your VS again.

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

I have run the verification tool for every framework version and in all says verification successfully. but even so i tried to run the fixing tool and then i get a "the tool can not correct the problem....".

so i am a bit astonished!.

so did all the above i run again the repair...... with a fresh iso....

and the directory C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\ doesnt exist in my computer!

i have  windows 10 32bits version.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 4:00 PM
  • Hi menorca,

You may have a try about using sfc /scannow to check your OS. Repair the registry is now required to fix this issue. See here about that command:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491008.aspx
    Another reference link:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

Best Regards,

Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:32 AM
  • Hi, Lana

What do you mean by "repair the registry is now required to fix this issue"?. By the way i have applied the UPDATE 3... and now i only have the original issue: classes doesn't appear in the right position. All the rest seems fixed....

running sfc.. doesnt makes it better!

Thanks

Friday, July 1, 2016 3:37 PM
  • Hi menorca,

Since you have already installed VS Update 3 successfully, you could mark your own reply as the answer.

Best Regards,

Monday, July 4, 2016 2:22 AM
  • Hi Lana,

Installing UPDATE 3 DOESN'T fix the original problem....SO the original question is still on the air!!. "Visual Studio 2015 Community Update 2, doesn't display the class (or classes) of forms cs file in the right position.". So i am still like before to make the question.

Thanks

Monday, July 4, 2016 5:46 AM
  • Hi memorca,

Since the Update is released, it has fixed some potential problem during the Update2 installation, and it also adds some function,.

From my point of view, VS 201 Update 3 will provide you a better for program development.

Best Regards,

Monday, July 4, 2016 5:52 AM
  • Hello,

I have exactly the same issue as you menorca. In my case it's happening both in Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2012. For Visual Studio 2015 the fix I found was an issue with installed Microsoft .NET Core 1.0.0 - both Preview 2 and Tooling Preview 2. If you have those uninstall them and then uninstall Visual Studio and install it again.

The issue is I would like to have those packages, but it creates the mentioned issue so I'm at loss. For Visual Studio 2012 I still didn't found a fix. It's really annoying and I don't seem to get any good solution from Microsoft do far.

Best regards.

• Edited by jabolx Monday, July 4, 2016 5:56 AM
    Monday, July 4, 2016 5:56 AM
  • Hi Jabolx,

In fact i have installed "Microsoft .NET Core 1.0.0 - SDK Preview 2 (x86)", "Microsoft Core 1.0.0 - VS 2015 Tooling Preview 2" and "Microsoft .NET Core 1.0.0 RC2 - SDK Preview 1 (x86)". Should i uninstall "Microsoft .NET Core 1.0.0 RC2 - SDK Preview 1 (x86)" since I have Preview 2?.

The problem is minimum in fact... to access code you only have to use the menu context, and then the option (view code). But my past experiences with visual studio (i have used it from 2003 version) tells me that, when the things mess up then it goes from bad to worse, and more and more things begin to fail. And till you don't get a new Version you don't get rid them. So i would love to have a SOLUTION from Microsoft about this annoying problem!!!.  And LANA sorry not to be agree with you THE UPDATE 3 doesn't solve the original problem!!!!!.

Monday, July 4, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Hello,

I think you need to uninstall all of them. And then reinstall Visual Studio. It worked for me for 2015, but it's indeed a half baked solution. Would like to have some official MS solution.

Best regards.

Monday, July 4, 2016 3:55 PM
  • Have the same problem with VS 2017. Firstly it was VS 2017RC, then I updated to normal version 26228.9 . But the problem remained. Recovery also didn't help. VS 2012 and 2015 side-by-side with 2017 works well
    Monday, March 20, 2017 9:00 AM
  • Your issue is exactly the same as mine.

Please please tell me you managed to find a solution to it?

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 1:49 AM
  • I have the same issue on Windows 7 x64 VS2017, did you find a solution?
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 5:32 PM
  • Same here, Visual Studio 2019
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:44 AM