none
Visual Studio 2017 No View Help

Question

• I downloaded Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition when the product was launched, installed it, and went to Help | View Help to see what this new release offers. But there is no Help at all that I can see. Was this product really launched without any Help in the VS2017 IDE ?
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:25 AM

All replies

• Probably you did not specify the Help components. Start the installer again, then click Modify, go to “Individual Components” tab, select “Help Viewer”.

After installation, you should see some new commands in Help menu of Visual Studio. You can also manage the Help preferences and content.

And you can also evaluate the novelties of offline Help Viewer.

• Edited by Viorel_MVP Thursday, March 16, 2017 6:09 AM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 6:06 AM
  • Probably you did not specify the Help components. Start the installer again, then click Modify, go to “Individual Components” tab, select “Help Viewer”.

After installation, you should see some new commands in Help menu of Visual Studio. You can also manage the Help preferences and content.

And you can also evaluate the novelties of offline Help Viewer.

I installed the Help Viewer but the help topics all say Visual Studio 2015. This product is Visual Studio 2017. How do I find help topics for Visual Studio 2017 ?
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:02 PM
  • @eldiener, thanks for you reply.

Visual Studio 2017 listed Help Viewer as a separate component during VS2017 installation, so we need to install it (That you have done).

>>>I installed the Help Viewer but the help topics all say Visual Studio 2015. This product is Visual Studio 2017. How do I find help topics for Visual Studio 2017 ?

Since new version of Visual Studio 2017 has just been released at March 7th, the content in the Help Viewer has not been updated in time, Visual Studio team will update it in a later time. You can pay attention to the Visual Studio update.

The same situation happened on the Visual Studio 2013. So do not need to worry about this issue.

Besides, in order to make Visual Studio team to notice this problem earlier, I have submit a issue on the Visual Studio Developer Community (Thanks for finding this issue), you can follow with your comments and check the feedback of this issue. I will also follow up this issue, I will send you the latest status of this issue.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/31778/the-content-has-not-been-updated-to-the-2017-in-th.html

Hope this can help you.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 12:07 PM
  • @eldiener, thanks for you reply.

Visual Studio 2017 listed Help Viewer as a separate component during VS2017 installation, so we need to install it (That you have done).

>>>I installed the Help Viewer but the help topics all say Visual Studio 2015. This product is Visual Studio 2017. How do I find help topics for Visual Studio 2017 ?

Since new version of Visual Studio 2017 has just been released at March 7th, the content in the Help Viewer has not been updated in time, Visual Studio team will update it in a later time. You can pay attention to the Visual Studio update.

The same situation happened on the Visual Studio 2013. So do not need to worry about this issue.

Besides, in order to make Visual Studio team to notice this problem earlier, I have submit a issue on the Visual Studio Developer Community (Thanks for finding this issue), you can follow with your comments and check the feedback of this issue. I will also follow up this issue, I will send you the latest status of this issue.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/31778/the-content-has-not-been-updated-to-the-2017-in-th.html

Hope this can help you.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thanks, but Microsoft releasing a new version of Visual Studio, without any documentation about that new version, has to be among the stupidest things I have ever heard in the software world.
    Friday, March 17, 2017 7:32 PM
  • @eldiener, Thanks for you reply.

There is a release note for the new version, you can check it from below link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/releasenotes/vs2017-relnotes#mar14

If above answer have resolved your question, you could mark as answer. If not, please let us to know the latest information about this question. Thanks.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.
    Monday, March 20, 2017 7:57 AM
  • @eldiener, Thanks for you reply.

There is a release note for the new version, you can check it from below link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/releasenotes/vs2017-relnotes#mar14

If above answer have resolved your question, you could mark as answer. If not, please let us to know the latest information about this question. Thanks.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.
    What does the release notes have to do with the fact that the release has no documentation ?
    Monday, March 20, 2017 10:29 AM
  • @eldiener, sorry for the misunderstanding. That documentation should be released in time. We have submitted this issue to Visual Studio team and follow with a comment to ask Visual Studio team to update the documentation as soon as possible. Thanks for your understanding.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:09 AM