none
Visual Studio 2017 Javascript intelliSense (TypeScript) and document formatting does not function

Question

• I've just updated my VS2017 and the TypeScript intelliSense for JavaScript stopped working. I'm using the "new JavaScript Language Service" in my options dialog, (turning this off will allow for the old Langue service to work.).  when working on a stand alone JS file, the intelliSense and DocumentFormatting still seems to work so I'm guessing that the problem has something to do with the "known issue" found here, however I am not receiving that error message, I get no messages.  intelliSense doesn't work, and the Script Function lists at the top of the document editor are empty.

my project has MANY js and json pages, however they are all in the excluded folders and the files I'm including are less than 1MB. I've created a tsconfig.json file at the root of my project.

{ "compilerOptions": {  "allowJs": true,  "noEmit": true,  "outDir": "out",  "target": "esnext" }, "files": [  "Script/_Enum.js",  "Script/Animation.js",  "Script/Controls.js",  "Script/Utility.js",  "Script/View.js",  "Script/HttpPost.js" ], "exclude": [  "obj",  "bin",  "properties",  "_misc",  "Admin",  "Charts",  "data",  "Help",  "Profile",  "Report",  "Search",  "Transaction" ]}

is there something wrong with my tsconfig file?  is there any log that I can look at that might help me debug the current issue? 

This was all functional prior to the 3/14/2017 VS Update.

thanks in advance

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:42 PM

Answers

• I think I found the cause of the problem.   I was working on a different project and noticed that this feature was working, so I went back to my broken project to see that it wasn't working there.  so I started to rebuild my Solution file.  in doing so, the feature would continue to work until I added my SQL Server Report project to the solution and restarted visual studio.  To verify this, I than created a blank report project and opened a JS file to note that the feature still didn't work.  Coincidentally, when I got the 3/14 update I also got the SSDT "Microsoft Report Projects for Visual Studio" Extension.  So for now I remove my Report project from the solution but I hope Microsoft fixes this issue

hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Remo Imparato Friday, March 17, 2017 2:24 PM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Remo,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> This was all functional prior to the 3/14/2017 VS Update.

It looks like the latest update March 14, 2017 (build 26228.09) caused this issue, you can go to Control Panel—Programs and Features-View Installed updates and remove this update, then reopen VS to check the intellisense. If it works, which means this update lead to this issue, you can temporarily not install this update until we find a workaround for this issue.

>> is there something wrong with my tsconfig file?

There has other parameter like ‘files’ which cannot found the known issue that you shared, and I also found some other community member reported the similar issue to the VS Product Team, please check this: Javascript intellisense not working and Bill shared a tsconfig.json file as below:

{

"compilerOptions": {

"allowJs": true,            // These settings apply to .js files as well as .ts files

"noEmit":  true             // Do not compile the JS (or TS) files in this project on build

},

"exclude": [

"node_modules",             // Don't include any JavaScript found under "node_modules"

"Scripts/Office/1"          // Suppress loading all the .js files from the Office NuGet package

],

"typeAcquisition": {

"enable": true,             // Enable automatic fetching of type definitions for .js libraries

"include": [ "office-js" ]  // Ensure the "Office-js" type definition is fetched

}

}

You can try to configure your tsconfig.json file to test this issue, if it still not works, it is better to add a comment in this thread, which can help you to seek for a more professional support from the VS Product Team and other community members, since our forum is to discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor. Sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

BTW, if you don't want to leave a message in the above thread, please feel free to let me know. I will do it for you and update the progress in this thread. 😊

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 3:25 AM
  • I think I found the cause of the problem.   I was working on a different project and noticed that this feature was working, so I went back to my broken project to see that it wasn't working there.  so I started to rebuild my Solution file.  in doing so, the feature would continue to work until I added my SQL Server Report project to the solution and restarted visual studio.  To verify this, I than created a blank report project and opened a JS file to note that the feature still didn't work.  Coincidentally, when I got the 3/14 update I also got the SSDT "Microsoft Report Projects for Visual Studio" Extension.  So for now I remove my Report project from the solution but I hope Microsoft fixes this issue

hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Remo Imparato Friday, March 17, 2017 2:24 PM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 2:22 PM
  • thank you for the response.  I've added a reply to my original post that addresses my findings.  it seems to me that including a SQL Server Report Project to the solution will make this feature stop working. 
    Friday, March 17, 2017 2:23 PM
  • >... So for now I remove my Report project from the solution but I hope Microsoft fixes this issue

Don't hope they fix it, package your repro case up and submit a problem report using the "Report a Problem"  facility to ensure
    they're aware of it and will fix it.

Dave

Friday, March 17, 2017 3:40 PM
  • submitted.
    Friday, March 17, 2017 4:05 PM
  • >submitted.

Jolly good :)

Friday, March 17, 2017 8:43 PM
  • Hi Remo,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you for your useful workaround, it will help other community members who meet the same issue to solve this issue.

BTW, it looks like you already reported this issue to the VS Product Team, could you please share the link in here when you have free time, so other community members can know the progress of this issue, thanks in advance :)

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 1:51 AM
  • Hi Remo,

Thank you for your sharing, I will also take care of this thread if there have any update comes from the VS Product Team engineers.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:36 AM