none
Start Project Without Building RRS feed

• Question

• hi, i'm working on a game engine (written in c#) and i want to allow the users to test their games without having to build them each time (which takes a long time), something like unreal, unity and godot do (the play button), is there any way i can do that in visual studio using MSbuild or something
    Tuesday, July 7, 2020 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hi SalahChafai,

You could go to Build on menu bar -> Configuration Manager, then uncheck your game engine project. After that, the project can't build while start debugging.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 2:48 AM
  • i've already tried that but it doesn't seem to apply the changes i make to scripts, for example if i change a method and then start with the build checkboxes disabled the game will run with the previous logic and not with the modified method, what i'm trying to achieve is like what unity and unreal game engines do, the play in editor feature

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 3:20 AM
  • Hi SalahChafai,

Sorry, I haven't use unity and unreal engine. According to your latest reply, you can use Incremental builds , which can help you determine whether to skip, build, or partially rebuild a target. 

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 5:46 AM
  • Thanks a lot for your help, i'll try Incremental build but i still think i need a better way in the future (faster), thanks again
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 4:15 PM
  • Hi SalahChafai,

Sorry for delay in reply.

I'm afraid that there is not other commands or configurations which could help you meet your requirement. 

BTW, if you have other questions about msbuild, please feel free to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Dylan 

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 8:29 AM