none
WPF designer RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I was wondering if i could get some help regarding an issue i am currently working on...

I have created a custom WinForms designer using the DesginSurface object.

Now, i'm trying to do the same for the WPF visual studio designer.

Did any of you guys know if this is achievable? and if so, how? what's the surface object and what is the root control (if any).

10x a lot for any information available,

Michal.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 4:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Michal,

The WPF designer is a completely different beast, than the WinForm designer. Consequently, it's not reusable in the same fashion that the winform designer is. Your best bet will likely be the updated IronPython sample that shipped with the Visual Studio 2008 SDK. That sample illustrates an integration scenario supporting the WPF designer, but it's a bit different than the way the C# and VB integration works. In part, due to the way the IP codemodel is implemented.

Sincerely,

Thursday, January 3, 2008 9:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Michal,

The WPF designer is a completely different beast, than the WinForm designer. Consequently, it's not reusable in the same fashion that the winform designer is. Your best bet will likely be the updated IronPython sample that shipped with the Visual Studio 2008 SDK. That sample illustrates an integration scenario supporting the WPF designer, but it's a bit different than the way the C# and VB integration works. In part, due to the way the IP codemodel is implemented.

Sincerely,

Thursday, January 3, 2008 9:13 PM
  • Hi Ed, thank you for your quick reply!

I opened the IronPythonProject from the SDK 2008.

When i tried to create a WPF project, the xaml files opened up in a text editor rather than a graphical designer.

Am i missing something or was this your intention?

What i was hoping for, is that i would gain access to the actual WPF designer object and would be able to interact with it.

10x a lot again,

Michal.

Monday, January 7, 2008 12:18 PM
  • Hi Michal,

You should be able to view them in the WPF designer. (Check out this screenshot.)

If you right the XAML file, choose "Open With..." and tell VS to open the file with the WPF Designer does it still not work? Have you followed the few manual steps needed to get the sample working properly?

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronmar/archive/2007/08/01/ironpython-integration-sample-and-the-wpf-designer.aspx

Thanks,

Aaron

Monday, January 7, 2008 9:59 PM