Elyl's Extensions: Attachment, RichText, UTC DateTime, Radio Buttons, Vector Images, Linked E-Mail RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everyone!

I've updated my collection of Extensions:
    http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/bbe013bf-45b6-46c4-ba13-537cc23c5118

Attachment: Control that binds to an entity (a collection of fields from the one table) and allows upload/download of binary files to the database

HTML Text: Business type and editor/viewer for storing formatted text in the database.  Text is stored as HTML.

UTC DateTime: Type/Control for viewing date/time in local format, but storing it in the database in UTC/GMT time.

RadioButtons: Picker/Viewer that replaces a Choice List with Radio Buttons instead

VectorImage: Vector image that is specified purely in the control's properties, rather than having a bitmap loaded.  Makes for easier changing of size, colour etc. without having to create a whole new bitmap.  I made this control so I could use icons from Syncfusion's Metro Studio (currently Free!) much easier, without having to save them as PNGs and importing them (then resaving them in different sizes/colours).  The Vector image is specified in XAML Path data format (e.g. "F1M42.7161,9.77081C43.3776,9.77081 44.0781,9.80597 44.8307,9.88019 49.401,10.3242 54.6901,14.5117 55.3333,22.5352L55.3333,25.2031C54.7369,32.8802 48.9375,42.3496 32,54.2305 15.0598,42.3496 9.26563,32.8802 8.66663,25.2031L8.66663,22.5352C9.30981,14.5117 14.5963,10.3242 19.1692,9.88019 19.9192,9.80597 20.6223,9.77081 21.2813,9.77081 26.5625,9.77081 29.0989,12.0534 32,15.5104 34.901,12.0534 37.4323,9.77081 42.7161,9.77081" = a loveheart!)

VariantCheckbox: Display a checkbox for a string/int32/double/decimal instead of a boolean.  True/False values are set in the properties of the control.

Please let me know what you think, and if you find any bugs!

Stephen

• Changed type ElylV Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:29 AM
    • Edited by ElylV Friday, July 6, 2012 12:42 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:28 AM

All replies

• I've updated this to v1.1 adding support for your own image on the Linked E-mail button controls.
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 9:58 AM
  • That's... BLAZINGLY FAST :-)

I use the same icons (Metro studio rocks) but without any color.  Really nice that you updated this otherwise usefull extension to also include the custom images)!

Keep rocking LS!

It's your story - time to switch on the innovation. || About me || LightSwitch blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Agreed, Metro Studio is great, and free into the bargain!

I just wish Lightswitch supported XAML vector paths as well as bitmap images - then all the icon colours could be changed by a theme, as well as being scalable.  Maybe if Microsoft don't manage it for vNext, some enterprising community member will come up with something.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Updated to version 2.0, adding Radio Buttons and Vector Images.

Free Visual Studio LightSwitch extensions: Elyl's Extensions http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/bbe013bf-45b6-46c4-ba13-537cc23c5118

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:24 AM
  • If I add this to my project (VS 11 RC) I get some errors at compile:

DataServiceQuery is in the namespace "System.Data.Services.Client" not clearly (german translation)

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:47 AM
  • Weird...

Can you try adding a reference to System.Data.Services.Client in your Client project?

I don't make any reference to this anywhere in my extension, and it's working on my projects.

Also, are there any other errors apart from those?

Free Visual Studio LightSwitch extensions: Elyl's Extensions http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/bbe013bf-45b6-46c4-ba13-537cc23c5118

• Edited by ElylV Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:54 AM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:53 AM
  • doesn't solve the problem - still there :-(

other errors:

Fehler 2 "EntitySetAttribute" ist im Namespace "System.Data.Services.Common" nicht eindeutig. D:\Entwicklung\Visual Studio\PfuscherDB\PfuscherDB\Client\GeneratedArtifacts\PDBData.vb 883 6 Client

• Edited by Mad Rian Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:01 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:59 AM
  • What version of Lightswitch are you using?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:05 PM
  • LightSwitch für Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 RC
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:07 PM
  • I can't work out what would be causing that... It's adding fine to my existing projects, and doesn't cause problems with any new projects either...

Can you create a new blank LS project and add the extension and see if you still get the error?

The references I use in the extension:
    Client:
    Client

Client.Design:
    Client.Design

Common:
    Common

Design:
    Design

Server:
    Server

Can anyone see any references here that would cause a problem?  Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:14 PM
  • I have created a new project with one table and your extension - it seems there is a problem with some reverences - System.Data.Service.Client is not unique...

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Does this happen when adding any particular control, or is it just when the extension is added to the project you start getting errors?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:43 PM
  • after the extension is added and I start the project...
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:50 PM
  • Do you have any other extensions installed by default?  Why does it keep referring to PDBData.vb - this doesn't seem to be a standard file in a LS project - I'm not sure if it localizes filenames to something else for Germany.

If you double-click on one of the errors, it should open up PDBData.vb where the error is in the file - does it give you any clue as to what part of the extension is causing it?  (Can you maybe post it here, from the new project you created, if it's not too large?)

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:59 PM
  • I have some extension installed by default but not selected...

PDBData is the DataSource of the project and here you can see where the error is:

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:06 PM
  • OK, it looks like "PDBData" is the equivalent to "ApplicationData" in English.

I can't work out where this error could be coming from.

If I have a look at System.Data.Services.Client on my system, via ObjectBrowser:

So, there are 2 System.Data.Services.Client, one .NET 3.5 and one .NET 4 - LS should be using .NET 4.
    Within the library there's a DataServiceQuery and a DataServiceQuery(Of T) - again, this shouldn't be ambiguous.

Are you able to have a look in your ObjectBrowser to see that there's not some additional ambiguous DataServiceQuery somewhere.

Failing that, I'm at a loss.  Does anyone else have any suggestions, or can anyone else check if they get the same errors when adding the extension to one of their projects?

• Edited by ElylV Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:47 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:22 PM
  • these are the references in my test project:

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:07 PM
  • Can you check in ObjectBrowser, rather than your References?  The System.Data.Services.Client won't show up as a reference.

See how many System.Data.Services.Client files are listed in ObjectBrowser, and make sure they've only got one DataServiceQuery member.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:11 PM
  • there is no System.Data.Services.Client files listed in ObjectBrowser

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:16 PM
  • Sorry, you should change to Browse: All Components (instead of My Project)

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:18 PM
  • I've just recompiled the extension with some references removed... I've not bumped the version number yet, if you can, could you try uninstalling the old extension and reinstalling the one that's up at http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/bbe013bf-45b6-46c4-ba13-537cc23c5118 again?

Sorry for this hassle, I hope we can work it out!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Now it works!! Thx

Question: it would be usefull if not only use the Radio Buttons instead of dropdown with Choice List  but also with Autocomplete Textbox with source from a related table...

robert

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Glad it works now!  I'll bump the version number so it updates for anyone else who's got it installed.

I'm not sure if LightSwitch exposes all the info from a table Autocomplete box to the custom control at bind time, so this might not be possible.  I'll have a look into it and see if there's a way around it.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:23 PM
  • one small problem - if I use the Radio Buttons in Horizontal Mode the size of the control is higher than the normal size of other controls like textboxes...

Friday, June 15, 2012 7:27 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Yes, I know about this...
    For the border option around the buttons there has to be some padding between the border and the contents otherwise it looks a mess.
    Now, I know you've not got the border turned on, but an annoying Silverlight "feature" is that I can't just set the border to not visible when it's turned off, as this makes all the contents not visible either (not good!)
    So, I've just set the border thickness to 0, but I forgot to take the padding out too.

I'll work this out and get it fixed for the next release (which will hopefully include the Attachment control too!)

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:33 PM
  • Updated with 2 new controls:
    Attachment and RichText.

These controls are really just being made because I need them for my projects, that's why there might be unusual things in them.  For example, the Attachment control has an "attach e-mail" button specifically for adding e-mails from Outlook more easily - Silverlight doesn't support the drop of COM objects, so I've added this button so the user can drag an email from Outlook and drop it on the filedialog directly.  This file is then deleted after it is attached.  This way the user doesn't have to mess around dropping mails on their desktop then finding them in the Attach File dialog.  I suspect not many people will make use of this button, but that's the justification behind it.

I think I'm almost done with controls I need for my current large project, just one I can think of: String Checkbox - a checkbox that binds to a string and accepts value pairs such as "Yes"/"No" or "On"/"Off".  Again, this probably won't be of much use to people, but I'll add it anyway.  After that it'll probably only be bugfixes and slight enhancements of the current controls for a while, until I need something new!

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Hi ElylV,

Thanks for the great contribution to the community lightswitch. How can I use the attachment control?

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Bug in Radio Button

see the video http://screencast.com/t/cfiwN8y9Js

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:19 PM
  • Bug in RichText

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Bug in RichText

To solve the problem remove the maximum length from the property in the table.

• Edited by Marden LR Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:41 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Ah yes, I forgot to mention that in the notes.  The maximum length should be blank as it doesn't really make sense for XAML (you can't predict how many characters a change in the text will result in in XAML).

The radio button issue will be fixed on Monday or Tuesday.  I had made the radio buttons control for a particular need and didn't consider you'd be using it in a list!

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:52 PM
  • The attachment control...

I've got a table for my attachments:
    Id
    Fname (String)
    Fsize (Integer)
    Data (Binary)
    Icon (Calculated Image) - this one's optional*

so, say you've got a basic List/Details screen for this table.  On the left you've got the list of all attachments.  On the right, you've got the properties of the Selected Item.

Change the group for the items on the right to an Attachment control - I find sometimes you need to drag 'Selected Item' over from the entity/properties list on the far left, and then change the group type for that to Attachment.

In the Properties of the Attachment Control, there's 4 drop-down menus.  The options in the drop-down menus are all the properties within the entity.  You need to match up your filename field, size, binary and optionally icon fields.  So in my example:

File Name > Fname
    File Size > Fsize
    Binary Data > Data
    Icon > Icon

Once you've mapped at least the first three the control should work.  Create a new attachment and the control should become active.  Click the paperclip and try selecting a file.  Hopefully it should load the file into the database.  Save the attachment and try redownloading to see if it worked.

Now, I've not tested this on a list like your example with the radio buttons.  I would expect this not to work - I don't think a Detail Control extension (one that binds to multiple fields like this one) can be placed in a list or grid, so you'd just need to provide the Attachment control somewhere on your screen for the Selected Item rather than having it on each line of your list.

* regarding the Icon, I've got a WCF RIA service setup which takes the filename extension and returns an image of what the Windows mapped Icon would be.  This requires full .NET code (runs on the server) so unfortunately I can't put it in the extension.  If anyone wants to see the code to do this, if it would help them out, let me know.

• Edited by ElylV Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:08 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Hiya Elyl,

Do you provide source code for your extentions?

Our company requires that we are able to obtain source code in case there is a problem with extensions that we are using in production.   We could be down if there was problem in an extension we relied on in our apps.

DevExpress always provides us with source code.

We have no problem paying for the security of having the source code.  

Hopefully we'll soon see some LS utilities to find and swap out Extensions within our apps.  

Thanks,

Garth

Garth Henderson - Vanguard Business Technology

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Garth,

This is a pretty unrealistic demand. You don't have the source code for LightSwitch itself, yet you still use it, don't you? You also don't have the source code for Windows, but you use that as well, yes?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be nasty. As someone who has constantly been bugged for source code, even for extensions that were provided for free, it's a personal bugbear of mine.

Nobody demands source code for Microsoft's products, yet they use them, I don't see why every software developer needs to make their source code available. Companies like DevExpress charge huge amounts for their source code, & it's so complicated & intertwined that it would probably take longer to sort out how it's doing any particular task than it would to "copy" the functionality from scratch. They also can afford to have very expensive lawyers to protect their IP. Smaller developers don't have that option.

I know you've always said that you want to provide all your source code to people who will "work with you to create great software", but unfortunately, not eveyone is as trustworthy as you.

My own ideas have been copied to death, & that was without providing source code. Just imagine if I had released source code as well. I have a whole bunch of controls, that I was silly enough to mention bits about, that I can't even release now, because it will look like it's ME that's copied from the others who took my ideas, then went & released them as their own extensions.

I've said it to you before, you live in a "wonderful world", & I'd seriously love to live there with you, I really would, but the current population is only about half a dozen people, if that.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

By doing this you'll help people find answers faster.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:49 AM
  • Yann, I hope I haven't copied any of your ideas!

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:18 AM
  • No, I wasn't referring to you.

I had announced that I was creating a UTC control, but that was my own silly fault for not getting it done, so I'm not worried about that one.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

By doing this you'll help people find answers faster.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Heya Yann,

As everyone knows, I've used your great Group Layout control on every Screen in my apps.

I have full trust in you and know that you'd be there to help.  Same with Derek and all of our other friends in the community.

However, if anything ever happened that would prevent you from continuing to update your free extension (perhaps winning the lottery or getting a nice gig with a great development company), Vanguard would have to pay for someone to replicate your Group Layout control and we'd have to figure out a way to write a utility that would swap your Group Layout control with the duplicate one.  Yes?

Thoughts?

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:40 PM
  • I would definitely release the source if I'm no longer developing the extensions, or if there was some bug that I was not able to fix.

I will consider releasing the code if I manage to properly annotate it all, or if someone thinks they can add some new useful feature that I can't - obviously as long as they agree to provide their source too.

• Edited by ElylV Monday, July 2, 2012 7:50 AM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 7:49 AM
  • I've now fixed the bug in the Radio Button control.

The GroupName of the radio buttons was previously the name of the control, as set in Lightswitch.  For lists, this control would always have the same name, so selecting a radio button in one row would override the buttons (with the same name) in all the other rows.

The GroupName is now made up of the control name plus a string of 16 random alphanumeric characters.  This is the best way I can think of doing it, as there is no standardized ID property for each row of a list I could use.
    There is, of course, a 1 in 36 billion billion billion chance (61^16) that 2 sets of radio buttons might end up being labelled the same when a screen is generated, but I can live with that!

Monday, July 2, 2012 12:53 PM
  • Mistakes in Web Application:

Does not access the file.

File operation not permited. '' Access to path is denied.

I'm trying to access my documents

Desktop Application:

It accesses normal and saved in the database but does not save the file in the directory

Monday, July 2, 2012 2:57 PM
  • What were you trying to do on the Web application, upload or download/save a file?
    Where was the file located?

Where were you trying to save the file in the Desktop Application?

Monday, July 2, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Also, does this happen when debugging or when running a published/released app?

Monday, July 2, 2012 3:16 PM
  • "What were you trying to do on the Web application, upload or download/save a file?"

- Upload from my documents directory

"Where were you trying to save the file in the Desktop Application?"

- my documents directory

"Also, does this happen when debugging or when running a published/released app?"

- In visual studio

Monday, July 2, 2012 3:39 PM
  • I would definitely release the source if I'm no longer developing the extensions, or if there was some bug that I was not able to fix.

I will consider releasing the code if I manage to properly annotate it all, or if someone thinks they can add some new useful feature that I can't - obviously as long as they agree to provide their source too.

Thanks, ElyIV.  

Monday, July 2, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Hi Marden, I've been able to reproduce the in-browser problem, but not the Desktop one.  Let me have a look into it.

EDIT: This will be fixed in the next release, later on today... it appears that in-browser apps don't like OpenFileDialog.File.OpenRead accessed as a FileStream, only as a Stream.

• Edited by ElylV Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:46 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Hi ElyIV

Is this control support LightSwitch 2011 ?

I am trying to install but unfortunately getting mainfest error.

Regards

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi
    www.lightswitchspecial.com

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.
    This will help other users to find their answer quickly.

• Edited by babloo1436 Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:08 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Hi Rashmi,

The download page indicates clearly VS 2012 RC.

paul van bladel

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Yes Rashmi, previously it was VS 2011 compatible, but it's now 2012 compatible only, for a couple of reasons...

1. The Attachment control requires Silverlight 5, otherwise it would be severely limited
    2. It's too difficult to maintain separate LS1/2 versions for me

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:41 AM
  • Thak you Paul & ElyIV

I got it.

Reagrds

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi
    www.lightswitchspecial.com

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.
    This will help other users to find their answer quickly.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Version 4.0 out, bugs in Attachment control for in- and out-of-browser should be ironed out.

I've replaced the RichText controls with HTML-binding ones.  These controls use the Liquid.RichTextBox and Liquid.RichTextBlock from Vectorlight so it inherits any quirks in those controls.

Added a VariantCheckbox control.

Free Visual Studio LightSwitch extensions: Elyl's Extensions

• Edited by ElylV Friday, July 6, 2012 12:52 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2012 12:45 PM
  • Hi ElyIV,

I found this bug with richtext...

The attachament is perfect no errors found. :)

Friday, July 6, 2012 6:18 PM
  • This is likely a problem since I removed the RichText type and replaced it with the HTMLText type. Check your tables and make sure you change any previously RichText columns and replace them with HTMLText. Do the same on your screens - make sure none of the screen items are trying to use the old RichTextEditor control.

I had a similar problem when updating the extension on one of my projects - when I checked my tables, the previously-RichText items now showed as a blank type - I just changed them to HTMLText and it sorted it.

If you're wondering why I replaced the XAML RichText type with the HTMLText - I realised that XAML is pretty useless for using anywhere but within a UI! In Silverlight, there is no easy way that I know of to translate the XAML to RTF or HTML or anything else that's useful elsewhere (the only XAML>HTML converters I can find use things only found in WPF).
    I needed the rich text for one of my projects where formatted text will be placed in an e-mail and discovered that XAML is quite useless for that!
    So, apologies for the hassle in the change.

I think the Liquid.RichTextBox control does have a XAML property, so if there's demand for it, I could see about exposing that as a property you could bind to from codebehind.

Saturday, July 7, 2012 12:32 PM
  • I'm searching and can not find any way.

I try this http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/bbe013bf-45b6-46c4-ba13-537cc23c5118

But not working.

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:05 PM
  • The page to the Elyl's Extensions download is no longer working, can you help me get the extension?
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:07 PM
  • I know, the VS gallery went haywire when I tried to upload the latest version a couple of days ago and now keeps giving errors whenever I try to access my extension.  I've told MS about it and they're looking into it.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:47 AM
  • Hi guys, this should be back up now.

Friday, October 5, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Hi Elyl,

I'm trying to use your Attachment control which is showing up nicely but the buttons are not doing anything. I maybe trying to be too advanced with it but would like your input before I give up on this particular scenario.

I have an editable grid screen with a custom modal window for insert and edit (using a combination of the solutions from Sheel Shah, Yann Duran and Mike @ Tejana.com).

Within that I have your attachment control. File name, size and Data is all configured to point to an attachments table which is linked to the entity I'm editing.

It all looks good on the screen, but all the controls from your extension are greyed out and disabled.

Is it possible to make this work in the modal window, or should I give up and go down the route of a separate non-modal insert and edit screen to utilise your attachment control?

Cheers Chris

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:43 PM