none
PGO and OpenMP RRS feed

• Question

• I see several responses to rants about PGO and OpenMP incompatibility, always with an intent to look into it again in future releases.   It seems VS2010 still suffers from this anyway.

Fixing this seems to me as potentially a huge benefit for c++ devs (I know it would be for me).  If you do development in c++, there's an excellent chance you care deeply about performance, and if you do *any* performance-sensitive work today - you're practically guaranteed to use parallelism.    Is this fix on any VS roadmap?

Thanks,

-Ofek

Saturday, April 10, 2010 6:06 PM

Answers

• Right now I personally think they should be focusing on other things with the compiler rather than getting this fixed. For example, full C99 support, get templates finally fixed (the non dependent name lookup problem and some other annoyances, but not including export).

The way Microsoft generally do things is by demand. So if you think this is something which should get fixed soon, the best thing you can do is submit a suggestion and get everyone you know to support it. But you will most likely find that it will be put back until VC11 because of how close we are to the VC10 release date.

Visit my (not very good) blog at http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:34 PM