TF204017 The operation cannot be completed because the user does not have one or more required permissions (Use) for workspace ...

Question

• My TFS computer is BIZET.  My computer with Visual Studio 2010 is BEETHOVEN.

All machines are not on any domain and local machine accounts are used.

I had earlier created a project and checked to BIZET using BIZET\administrator.  Now I want to switch to BIZET\user1 instead.  So I checked in everything.  Then I switch the TFS connection to using BIZET\user1.  But now whenever I try to check out I get:

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    Error

TF204017: The operation cannot be completed because the user (BIZET\user1) does not have one or more required permissions (Use) for workspace BEETHOVEN;BIZET\Administrator.
    OK  

What is workspace and how can I check out my project using BIZET\user1.  Thanks.

Friday, July 23, 2010 6:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Kong,

I think you are trying to open a file belong to the workspace BEETHOVEN;BIZET\Administrator.

A workspace is a local copy of the files and folders in the server. the default name of a workspace is like <Local Machine>[_id];domain\username. A workspace contains a list of work folder. Work folder is a local folder which is mapping to a server folder.

(from http://blogs.msdn.com/b/phkelley/archive/2010/02/04/improvements-to-workspaces-in-tfs-2010.aspx)

By default, a workspace is private which means that only the owner can access it. If you log on as User1 and  open a file in a workfolder belong to  workspace BEETHOVEN;BIZET\Administrator, you will receive the error.

You can create a new workspace and map a local folder to server folder for the workspace. Then get latest of the new workspace and open the file in it.

You can also try Jehan's suggestion to make the workspace BEETHOVEN;BIZET\Administrator public so other users can access it.

Best regards,
    Ruiz
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com
    Monday, July 26, 2010 3:25 AM

All replies

• Hi K. Kong

The Workspace is the mapping between pathes in Source Control and a pathes in the local file system for a specific user. In TFS 2010 Workspaces can implement specific permissions.

See that link for more information => http://blogs.msdn.com/b/phkelley/archive/2010/02/04/improvements-to-workspaces-in-tfs-2010.aspx

You should change Workspace rights to acces it with User1

Hope this helps...

Gregory OTT
    ALM Engineer at Tekigo => www.tekigo.com
    Co-founder of the Microsoft User Group - Lyon => www.mug-lyon.fr
    Friday, July 23, 2010 7:28 AM
  • Thanks.  I had read that article and the 101 on workspaces earlier.  I also changed the Workspace drop down to a new one I created with Public-Limited.  But the same error persists.

I don't even know what is happening.  What does the Workspace dropdown box mean?  Is it for a project?  Is it for the whole server?  Are we talking about the workspace on my BEETHOVEN (client PC) or BIZET (TFS server)?

It's all still very mysterious to me.

Thanks.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:01 AM
  • Hi,

After changing the Workspace permissions to 'Public Workspace(Limited)', are you still getting the above kind of error while doing check-out or check-in?

If you use Public Workspace(Limited), you will get similar error if you are trying to check-in the changes. In Public-Limited workspace, the workspace owner can only check-in the changes.

First connect to the TFS from Visual Studio Client using 'BIZET\administrator' and change the Permissions of existing workspace from 'Public Workspace (Limited)' to 'Public Workspace' and then try connecting again using 'BIZET\User1' account.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:02 AM
  • The user 'BIZET\User1' must be in the "Valid User" security group of TFS
    Gregory OTT
    ALM Engineer at Tekigo => www.tekigo.com
    Co-founder of the Microsoft User Group - Lyon => www.mug-lyon.fr
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Hi Kong,

I think you are trying to open a file belong to the workspace BEETHOVEN;BIZET\Administrator.

A workspace is a local copy of the files and folders in the server. the default name of a workspace is like <Local Machine>[_id];domain\username. A workspace contains a list of work folder. Work folder is a local folder which is mapping to a server folder.

(from http://blogs.msdn.com/b/phkelley/archive/2010/02/04/improvements-to-workspaces-in-tfs-2010.aspx)

By default, a workspace is private which means that only the owner can access it. If you log on as User1 and  open a file in a workfolder belong to  workspace BEETHOVEN;BIZET\Administrator, you will receive the error.

You can create a new workspace and map a local folder to server folder for the workspace. Then get latest of the new workspace and open the file in it.

You can also try Jehan's suggestion to make the workspace BEETHOVEN;BIZET\Administrator public so other users can access it.

Best regards,
    Ruiz
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com
    Monday, July 26, 2010 3:25 AM
  • I found another solutions to this problem.  Go to source control explorer and check to see if the user for the .sln file is still the old user.  If it is, right-click the .sln file and do check out and it will check out the solution with your new user name.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:25 PM
  • I faced the same issue while using Visual Studio 2013 on Windows Server 2012 R2.

I was using the machine using 2 User ids (User1 and User2). User1 was the admin for machine. And there are 2 different workspaces for both the users. The issue happend during my last restart of the machine.

When Visual Studio was started with User2 login, it was attempting to connect to User1's workspace and gave the above mentioned error in this thread.

To resolve the issue I opened the 'Credential Manager' from my machine. In Windows Credential section, the user name section was showing the logon of User1 instead of User2. So I edited it and changed the user back to User2 and started Visual Studio. The issue got resolved as the Workspace for User2 got automatically populated.

Windows Credential Manager

Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:20 AM
  • The Credentials manager solution worked for me, Thanks!
    Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:04 PM
  • Jehan's suggestion worked for me ver well. 

I Just simply change Workspace Configuration to Public and everithing start working great!

Thnaks for the advice!

Isaí Villarreal

Monday, August 14, 2017 8:30 PM