Visual studio hangs when trying to change a branch - GIT

Question

• Hi,

We recently moved from on-prem TFS using TFVC for version control to VSO with GIT for version control. However during development, Visual Studio goes to a not responding state when I try to switch a branch and often crashes.

My GIT repository is pretty big around 10 GB after I clone it. Is this problem because there is no complete support for GIT in VS or is it that the size of my repo is too huge or maybe something else?

Can someone tell me the root cause of this and how I can prevent it.

Thanks!

Saturday, January 17, 2015 3:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Manish,

I'd like to know whether you mean crash is Visual Studio not responding for a while or Visual Studio halted all the time. If it's the former, you can check whether the branches is not updated for a long time. You can create two new branches and also include your local git repository to have a try.

If Visual Studio keeps in halt status when you switch the branch, please let us know the edition and version of Visual Studio you're using and ealborate more details abour your scenario. Or you have a try with the latest update of Visual Studio or try on other machines.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 19, 2015 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Manish,

I'd like to know whether you mean crash is Visual Studio not responding for a while or Visual Studio halted all the time. If it's the former, you can check whether the branches is not updated for a long time. You can create two new branches and also include your local git repository to have a try.

If Visual Studio keeps in halt status when you switch the branch, please let us know the edition and version of Visual Studio you're using and ealborate more details abour your scenario. Or you have a try with the latest update of Visual Studio or try on other machines.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, January 19, 2015 6:24 AM
  • Hi Manish,

Since we haven't heard from you for a long time, I assume the issue is resolved, I mark useful reply as answer. If you have any concerns, please feel free to reopen it or submit a new question. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Monday, January 26, 2015 1:37 PM
  • I get this as well. 2013 is fine.  When I change git branch with source tree, VS 2015 asks like normal, do you want to reload all.  Then when it starts trying to reload, it crashes, and I have to use task manager to end.  I did install the git 3rd party when installing VS.
    Friday, November 20, 2015 7:54 PM
  • I still see this with VisualStudio Enterprise 2015. The IDE shows a message about reloading the projects (there are only 8 in the solution) and hangs. Clicking on the application causes a message to show up saying that Visual Studio is busy. I cannot close the application from the cross in the top right corner, so I end up killing it from the Task Manager.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 11:49 AM
  • Hi Charles,

Your post really cannot be marked as an answer as it does not provide any useful information about how to solve the issue. I don't understand how an absence of reply makes your post an answer, it really goes against common sense.

What makes this situation even worse is the fact that many more people are experiencing the same issue and, when they think they might have found an answer to the problem by reading your post marked as an answer (by yourself), they just realise they wasted their time reading it.

Please remove the answer mark from your post. You are a moderator...

BTW I am one of those people who are experiencing this issue and just wasted my time on this post. Many thanks moderator!

Sunday, June 11, 2017 8:34 AM