none
VB .Net Express ? (not VB 2005) RRS feed

• Question

• Is there or was there an express version of VB .Net (2003) available for download. My work PC is stuck at XP SP1 and VB 2005 requires SP2.
    Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:40 PM

Answers

• VB Express 2005 is the first version of Visual Basic that is available for free.

Prior to this every version of VB.NET required that you purchase a copy to use.

Is there any reason that your work PC is not being upgraded to XP SP2.  Normally Service Packs are good to install as they fix bugs and plug security holes.   Not having them installed potentially makes you machine more vulnerable.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 9:14 PM

All replies

• Stuck? That's odd: as a developer, I'm sure you could download SP2.

But to answer your question, no.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:45 PM
  • VB Express 2005 is the first version of Visual Basic that is available for free.

Prior to this every version of VB.NET required that you purchase a copy to use.

Is there any reason that your work PC is not being upgraded to XP SP2.  Normally Service Packs are good to install as they fix bugs and plug security holes.   Not having them installed potentially makes you machine more vulnerable.

• The closest thing to a ‘Visual Basic .net 2003 Express’ would be a copy of Visual Basic .net Standard edition as it is language specific (and limited) version of Visual Studio 2003.

Unfortunately the Standard edition is not free like the Express editions and even now after the release of Visual Studio 2005 and the Express editions you’ll likely have to pay ~$100 USD for a legitimate copy of it.

Just for note though, any applications built with the 2003 family of languages/IDE’s target the 1.1 framework and cannot take advantage of many of the enhancements in the 2.0, so upgrading to SP2 might be your best and easiest bet for staying current.

• I'm "stuck" because it's a work PC and the MIS department has not OK'd upgrades to SP2. I was able to install .Net framework 2.0.

I'm not really interested in building applications so much as how the forms editor works. An application that I do use at work has changed over to a (very) poorly documented "VB .Net similar" forms editor. Not being familiar with VB and it's editor I wanted to install VB in order to familiarize myself with it as well as VB's accompanying documentation.

I've since found a command line option for the setup command that apparently skips the SP2 check and allows the install to continue. It's installed and seems to be working OK. If it's not completely stable or misses some of the more recent enhancements that's OK.
    Thursday, July 20, 2006 3:26 AM