none
/bigobj RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I get the error message that I shall recompile with the option /bigobj.
    Does this imply that all compilation units must be compiled with this option
    or can I combine object files and libraries compiled with or without this option.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:39 AM

Answers

•  Andreas Fabri wrote:
    Hello,

or can I combine object files and libraries compiled with or without this option.

I would suggest trying the /bigobj option first for required compilation units only. If the linker complains, then set this option for all of your compilation units. In other words, if the documentation or other resources does not give sufficient details, then sometimes it is possible to find the answer experimentally.

Or maybe your big compilation unit can be divided into several units, thus avoiding the linker problem?

I hope this makes sense.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 10:59 AM

All replies

• What is the error code of the message? Did you read the description of it in the documentation? Did you read the description of /bigobj in the documentation?
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 10:07 AM
  •  Andreas Fabri wrote:
    Hello,

I would suggest trying the /bigobj option first for required compilation units only. If the linker complains, then set this option for all of your compilation units. In other words, if the documentation or other resources does not give sufficient details, then sometimes it is possible to find the answer experimentally.

Or maybe your big compilation unit can be divided into several units, thus avoiding the linker problem?

I hope this makes sense.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 10:59 AM
  • thanks a lot for the two common sense answers. Obviously I can try it out, but aren't these forums places to profit from experiences other developers made before?

Our code  compiled with VC7 and I consider it a regression and not a step forward from the side of Microsoft.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 7:15 PM
  •  Andreas Fabri wrote:
    aren't these forums places to profit from experiences other developers made before?
    Certainly if someone has experienced the problem you are having and has spent a lot of time before solving the problem then it is beneficial for everyone to get their discoveries. Most answers in these forums however are provided by volunteers that don't have time to do things that are as easy to do for them as the people asking for help. In this situation, it is easier for you to try to solve it yourself since you have the environment to try.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 7:33 PM