How to install VSTO runtime with Group Policy RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi!
    I need to install Outlook add-in (VSTO 2005 SE) via GPO. But setup project make only bootstrapper exe, and I need msi (or pack of msi).
    I almost succeed with making installer with WiX (even make exe which configure CAS), but the problem is VSTO Runtime, which is not available as msi package (only exe whis msi and other files inside). So I can't instal VSTOR via GPO and can't run vstor.exe from msi, because it uses msi internally.
    It seems very strange to me, that VSTO can't be installed via GPO.

Any solutions?
    I saw similar thread
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/dede4b84-75f2-4843-8477-b158b89f1fed/
    but still no solution. 

I see only 2 options now:
    1. Try to extract vstor.exe contents and try to repackage it into msi.
    2. Create windows service, which will run vstor.exe /q on startup. Then, install service with GPO. Insane, but may work...
    • Changed type Bessie Zhao Friday, October 2, 2009 6:06 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Actually, I am not good at GPO and WiX and VSTO does not support this. However, I could tell you about the deployment of VSTO.

As you mentioned, it seems that you choose Windows Installer to deploy the VSTO SE add-in. About deploying VSTO SE solution by using Windows Installer, here are two articles you can refer to:

Deploying Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the Office System SE Solutions Using Windows Installer (Part 1 of 2).

Deploying Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the Office System SE Solutions Using Windows Installer: Walkthroughs (Part 2 of 2).

In the first article, it says as below: The Visual Studio Setup project helps us create a Windows Installer package(.msi file) to deploy the solution. In addition, it creates a Setup.exe file that detects and installs the prerequisites. User can run the Windows Installer by double-clicking Setup.exe. In is also possible to install the solution by double-clicking the .msi file. When the setup routine is operating in this mode, it does not install the prerequisites. However, we can add launch conditions to the .msi file to warn users to use Setup.exe instead.

According to what you said, what you want to do is that the msi file automatically install the prerequisites when double-clicking Setup.exe. As far as I know, there is no such way to achieve this. Just as above, it can warn users to use Setup.exe instead.

About option 1, I am afraid that it is also not able to repackage. You may can consider using setup.exe file. When double-clicking this file, it automatically check the prerequisites and install.

Thanks,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:14 AM
  • We are changing the issue type to "General Discussion" because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to "Question" by opening the Options list at the top of the post window, and changing the type. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 6:06 AM

• Deploying vstor.exe (Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime) using Group Policy.
    1. Copy vstor.exe to a share folder. Give the share folder read access to "Domain Users"
    2. Create a GPO and apply it to appropiate Computers Organizational Unit (not Users OU).
    3. In the OU, modify startup script (Computer Configuration --> Windows Settings --> Scripts --> Startup.
    4. Make your GPO run the script below. Give a .vbs extension to the script (It's a vbscript). You might want to encrypt it into a .vbe file because the

script contains a password.

this GPO and script have been tested succesfully.

------------------------
    Option explicit
    Dim oShell
    Dim objFSO, strSourceFile, strTargetFile

strSourceFile = "\\servername\share_folder\vstor.exe"
    strTargetFile = "c:\"

set oShell= Wscript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

On Error Resume Next
    If objFSO.FileExists( strTargetFile) Then
     Endend
    Else
     objFSO.CopyFile strSourceFile, strTargetFile
    End If

oShell.Run "RunAs /noprofile /user:your_domain\administrative_account ""C:\vstor.exe /q"""
    WScript.Sleep 100
    oShell.Sendkeys "password_of_the_administrative_account~"

Endend:
    Wscript.Quit
    ---------------------------

Regards,
    Aldo Elam Majiah
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:35 AM
  • Thanks for your answer, but I am already resolved this issue similar way (ugly workaround in my opinion).
    I created windows service and installed it with GPO. This service install vstor and also handles updates of my add-in.

And now I am not using VSTO anymore. Too much pain in deployment even with VSTO2010 (which is not useful to me, because Office 2003 not supported):

http://blog.deploymentengineering.com/2010/09/office-2010-bitness-pain.html

And VSTO gives almost nothing I can't do with COM-addin. So, I switched to shimmed COM-addins. They also have problems with install - KB908002 required, but this is much better than PIA and VSTO.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Extract the files from the VSTO exe file with the /x:target_dir option, for ex.

VSTO.exe /x:c:\vsto_deployable

Then copy vsto_deployable directory to a share  and in the gpo, use the msi file extracted available in the directory you just copied.

That's all.

• Edited by baughan Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:07 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:06 PM