none
VS 2008 .NET 2.0, .NET 3.0, .NET 3.5? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm a little confused as to what .NET framework my VS 2008 application will require.

For example, I have a WPF and Windows Forms application that I assume (based on the version numbers for the assemblies I included) will need .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.5, but not .NET Framework 3.0?

Is there any "road map" or Assemblies map that lays out the various .NET framework version used for the application types?

Also with my IIS based web applications, I would assume I need to install .NET framework 3.0 and 3.5 on the web server.  But what I don't understand is how do I set the Application Pool to point to ALL three .NET frameworks?  IIS only permits the selection of ONE framework, not multiple?

Thanks, Rob.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:23 PM

Answers

• The easiest way to tell what version your app requires is to set the .NET Framework version in your project settings.  If you set it to .NET 2.0, it requires 2.0, for example.

You can also change the setting here, but going backwards in versions may cause compilation errors related to things that don't exist in the previous version.

On your second issue, .NET 3.5 and 3.0 are both extensions of .NET 2.0.  If you set IIS to use .NET 3.5, apps for all three versions will work perfectly.

-Ryan / Kardax
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:47 PM

All replies

• The easiest way to tell what version your app requires is to set the .NET Framework version in your project settings.  If you set it to .NET 2.0, it requires 2.0, for example.

You can also change the setting here, but going backwards in versions may cause compilation errors related to things that don't exist in the previous version.

On your second issue, .NET 3.5 and 3.0 are both extensions of .NET 2.0.  If you set IIS to use .NET 3.5, apps for all three versions will work perfectly.

-Ryan / Kardax
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:47 PM
  •  

Ryan,

Thanks, so basically for my IIS web apps just make sure the application pool is set to .NET 3.5.

Rob.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:29 PM