TFSServiceControl quiesce requirement for Backups RRS feed

• Question

• The documentation for the TFSServiceControl command indicates that it is required for backups and restores.

"You must use the TFSServiceControl command to ensure that all necessary operations, services, and application pools are stopped for maintenance tasks such as backup and restore. You cannot manually perform all of the tasks carried out by the TFSServiceControl command."

However, the Back Up Team Foundation Server documentation makes no mention of any use of this command.  Is it necessary to run a "TFSServiceControl quiesce" prior to performing a backup?  If not, are there any instances in which it is recommended prior to a backup?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:28 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your response Forrest.

I am aware of the backup capabilities in TFS Power Tools.  In order for our DBAs to schedule and maintain backups, that will not be an option in my organization.

If we manually create the maintenance plans in SQL Server as instructed in the Back Up Team Foundation Server documentation, do we need to incorporate the TFSServiceControl quiesce command?  Does the maintenance plan created by the TFS Power Tool incorporate this command?

You do not need to incorporate the command into your regular backup routines, utilizing marked transactions is sufficient.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Gustav provides one viable option. If we follow up Back Up Team Foundation Server documentation to back up databases, it is not required to stop related TFS Services, Sharepoint Services, Reporting and Analysis services. Thus it is unnecessary to run TFSServiceControl command in this case.

TFSServiceControl command is required when restore TFS database, otherwise these databases are in use and could not be restored.

SSRS database includes ReportServer & ReportServerTempDB, you could back up accordingly.

Best Regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hi, if you're manually backup the TFS server, you will need to run TFSServiceControl quiesce, this will shutdown all of the TFS services and release any database locks.  Reference: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bharry/archive/2010/08/18/backing-up-and-restoring-your-tfs-server.aspx

I'm not sure if you are aware of TFS Power Tool, it is capable of backup TFS database. It is free VS addin which could be downloaded from: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/c255a1e4-04ba-4f68-8f4e-cd473d6b971f. After you install it on Application Tier, you could find it shows on TFS Admin Console -> Team Foundation Backups.  Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, November 14, 2011 3:59 PM

I am aware of the backup capabilities in TFS Power Tools.  In order for our DBAs to schedule and maintain backups, that will not be an option in my organization.

If we manually create the maintenance plans in SQL Server as instructed in the Back Up Team Foundation Server documentation, do we need to incorporate the TFSServiceControl quiesce command?  Does the maintenance plan created by the TFS Power Tool incorporate this command?

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Just to clarify, we actually have attempted to use the TFS Power Tools backup capabilities and we were unable to get it to work with our configuration.  We have the SSRS databases installed in a separate location from our TFS databases and that seems to trip up the power tools backup configuration.

Can anyone please explain the discrepancy in the documentation for the TFSServiceControl command and the the Back Up Team Foundation Server documentation?  It doesn't make sense that the the TFS services would need to be quiesced for every backup operation (especially if you intend to include transaction log backups at reasonable intervals), but I would like someone to please verify one way or the other.

Thanks for your help.

-Eric

Friday, November 18, 2011 3:47 PM

You do not need to incorporate the command into your regular backup routines, utilizing marked transactions is sufficient.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Gustav provides one viable option. If we follow up Back Up Team Foundation Server documentation to back up databases, it is not required to stop related TFS Services, Sharepoint Services, Reporting and Analysis services. Thus it is unnecessary to run TFSServiceControl command in this case.

TFSServiceControl command is required when restore TFS database, otherwise these databases are in use and could not be restored.

SSRS database includes ReportServer & ReportServerTempDB, you could back up accordingly.

Best Regards,

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:57 AM