none
Binding a Grid via WCF Data Services

General discussion

• Hello everybody,

i am trying to bind a grid to a database via the internet. I did this for years and every time i do it, i am looking for new ways to do it. So this time i will give WCF Data Services a chance. But wait... after the first "solutions" i tried i figured out that nothing changed the years. I seems to be not easy at all....

The Idea of binding a grid to a database is, that the user see's data, can filter, search and sort on each column. And because we don't know the amount of rows we need a way to only load "some" of the rows and refetch at a time. This is a minimum requirement for each grid. So this is the goal. This means in case of the internet, that the query must be transferred to the server and the server should only return the data that was requested. It also means, that the grid must fetch only "some" rows and refetch the rest of the rows when the user is scrolling down.

Can WCF Data Services do that? Can the grid of .NET do that? Can the Telerik Grid do that or any other grid? 

I tried some of the examples called "binding grid to wcf data services", but none of them could do it. Maybe someone has a simple solution for it? Or do i have to write that my own?

Thanks for your help ... regards

Andi

Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:34 AM