none
Status of VB.NET RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was just talking to one of our managers who was told that a vender that we use, told this user that they have to rewrite there app because VB was being removed. Which of course does not make since (I could see them removing VB6 from the support) to me because right here on there site they have enhanced VB.net with VS2012. So I have to ask, what is the Status of VB.NET? THanks for any info.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I was just talking to one of our managers who was told that a vender that we use, told this user that they have to rewrite there app because VB was being removed. Which of course does not make since (I could see them removing VB6 from the support) to me because right here on there site they have enhanced VB.net with VS2012. So I have to ask, what is the Status of VB.NET? THanks for any info.

They were most likely referring to vb6.  However, even VB6 runtimes are supported on Windows 8 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx).

VB.Net is still actively developed - VS 2012 includes quite a few VB specific improvements.  The Roslyn project is as much about VB.Net as C#, so the future looks good for VB.Net, as well...

I think this was just mis-information on the part of your vendor.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Mike,

That sounds like one of those "missing hitchhiker" stories.

Ask them for documentation - I'll be curious how he/she replies.

Please call me Frank :)

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Visual Basic removed? The Visual Basic Team Blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vbteam/) did not report such news.
    Who did say so?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:40 PM
  • That information is false. Can you identify the vendor?

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:45 PM
  • The information may be out of context...  "VB" can mean a lot of things.

Perhaps VBA or a VB Script engine was being removed from their product (or product they integrate into) and so an add-in has to be rewritten.

As the others have noted, VB.Net isn't going anywhere so I would encourage you to find out specifically what the "he-said-she-said" actually referrs to.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:28 PM
  • I would probably go with Reeds (either!) answer. The VB6 runtimes will forever be in question, with each new operating system iteration putting VB6 on the block, and receiving a stay of execution.

However, there was a note that the Express editions to develop Windows forms and WPF applications were going away (a full blown VS license would be needed for Forms and WPF) but this, while possibly a rumor, is not the case and Express 2012 will still exist.

The chance of VB going away is basically nil. Based on the fact that most VB programmers moved to .NET, yet VB6 is still alive and kicking, demonstrates that VB on the whole has a huge and diverse user base.

Stephen J Whiteley

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:03 PM

All replies

• Mike,

That sounds like one of those "missing hitchhiker" stories.

Ask them for documentation - I'll be curious how he/she replies.

Please call me Frank :)

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Visual Basic removed? The Visual Basic Team Blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vbteam/) did not report such news.
    Who did say so?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:40 PM
  • That information is false. Can you identify the vendor?

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:45 PM
  • The information may be out of context...  "VB" can mean a lot of things.

Perhaps VBA or a VB Script engine was being removed from their product (or product they integrate into) and so an add-in has to be rewritten.

As the others have noted, VB.Net isn't going anywhere so I would encourage you to find out specifically what the "he-said-she-said" actually referrs to.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

They were most likely referring to vb6.  However, even VB6 runtimes are supported on Windows 8 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx).

VB.Net is still actively developed - VS 2012 includes quite a few VB specific improvements.  The Roslyn project is as much about VB.Net as C#, so the future looks good for VB.Net, as well...

I think this was just mis-information on the part of your vendor.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:31 PM
  • I would probably go with Reeds (either!) answer. The VB6 runtimes will forever be in question, with each new operating system iteration putting VB6 on the block, and receiving a stay of execution.

However, there was a note that the Express editions to develop Windows forms and WPF applications were going away (a full blown VS license would be needed for Forms and WPF) but this, while possibly a rumor, is not the case and Express 2012 will still exist.

The chance of VB going away is basically nil. Based on the fact that most VB programmers moved to .NET, yet VB6 is still alive and kicking, demonstrates that VB on the whole has a huge and diverse user base.

Stephen J Whiteley

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Thank you all for you replies. I thought I was given the wrong info.
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:56 AM