TFS 2010 Reporting Problem - Reports & Data Missing (URGENT)

Question

• Hello,

We recently noticed that previously available reports & their data available on the Report site for our project collections (all of them!) disappeared.

I rebuilt the DBs using TFS Admin Console and even though no errors appeared the data is still not there. I can however still see all my work items and fortunately all code checked-in is still there, the only problem is no data or reports on the report site(s).

When browsing to Team Explorer in VS2010, right-clicking on any Team Project's Reports node and selecting Show Report site, the site appears but only shows the message: "There are no items in <ProjectNameRemoved>. Click Help for more information about this page."

I also ran both the "ProcessWarehouse" and "ProcessAnalysisDatabase" methods on the web service at the URL http://<servernameremoved>:8080/tfs/TeamFoundation/Administration/v3.0/WarehouseControlService.asmx - this also did not solve my issue.

Help would be really appreciated!

Edit: This was a clean install of TFS 2010, not an upgrade from an earlier version.

Edit (Again): I checked again, and running the GetProcessingStatus after executing the ProcessAnalysisDatabase service, the following returned:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

- <WarehouseProcessingStatus xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/TeamFoundation/2005/06/Services/Controller/03">
      <RequestTimeUtc>2011-02-21T14:39:39.6176102Z</RequestTimeUtc>
      <WarehouseProcessingOnlineStatus>Started</WarehouseProcessingOnlineStatus>
      <AnalysisProcessingOnlineStatus>Started</AnalysisProcessingOnlineStatus>
      <JobProcessingStatus>Idle</JobProcessingStatus>
      <JobsRunning>0</JobsRunning>
      <JobsQueued>0</JobsQueued>
    - <Instance Name="TEAM FOUNDATION" JobProcessingStatus="Idle" JobsRunning="0" JobsQueued="0">
    - <Jobs>
    - <Job Name="Common Structures Warehouse Sync" JobProcessingStatus="Idle">
      <LastRun QueueTimeUtc="2011-02-21T14:28:30.707Z" ExecutionStartTimeUtc="2011-02-21T14:28:32.353Z" EndTimeUtc="2011-02-21T14:28:32.513Z" Result="Succeeded" />
      <NextRun QueueTimeUtc="2011-02-21T14:50:37.987Z" JobState="QueuedScheduled" />
      </Job>
    - <Job Name="Full Analysis Database Sync" JobProcessingStatus="Idle">
    - <LastRun QueueTimeUtc="2011-02-21T14:29:35.633Z" ExecutionStartTimeUtc="2011-02-21T14:29:38.37Z" EndTimeUtc="2011-02-21T14:32:55.317Z" Result="Failed">
      <ResultMessage>[Full Analysis Database Sync]: ---> AnalysisDatabaseProcessingType=Full, needCubeSchemaUpdate=True. ---> Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.WarehouseException: TF221122: An error occurred running job Full Analysis Database Sync for team project collection or Team Foundation server TEAM FOUNDATION. ---> Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.WarehouseException: Failed to Process Analysis Database 'Tfs_Analysis'. ---> Microsoft.AnalysisServices.ConnectionException: The connection either timed out or was lost. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags) at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at System.IO.BufferedStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count) at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.DimeRecord.ForceRead(Stream stream, Byte[] buffer, Int32 length) at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.DimeRecord.ReadHeader() at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.DimeRecord..ctor(Stream stream) at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.DimeReader.ReadRecord() at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.TcpStream.GetResponseDataType() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XmlaClient.EndRequest() at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XmlaClient.SendExecuteAndReadResponse(Boolean skipResults, Boolean throwIfError) at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesClient.CommitTransaction() at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Server.CommitTransaction() at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Warehouse.TFSOlapProcessComponent.ProcessOlap(AnalysisDatabaseProcessingType processingType, WarehouseChanges warehouseChanges, Boolean lastProcessingFailed, Boolean cubeSchemaUpdateNeeded) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Warehouse.TFSOlapProcessComponent.ProcessOlap(AnalysisDatabaseProcessingType processingType, WarehouseChanges warehouseChanges, Boolean lastProcessingFailed, Boolean cubeSchemaUpdateNeeded) at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Warehouse.AnalysisDatabaseSyncJobExtension.RunInternal(TeamFoundationRequestContext requestContext, TeamFoundationJobDefinition jobDefinition, DateTime queueTime, String& resultMessage) at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Warehouse.WarehouseJobExtension.Run(TeamFoundationRequestContext requestContext, TeamFoundationJobDefinition jobDefinition, DateTime queueTime, String& resultMessage) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---</ResultMessage>
      </LastRun>
      <NextRun QueueTimeUtc="2011-02-22T00:00:00Z" JobState="QueuedScheduled" />
      </Job>
    Hope this helps to sort this issue....
    EDIT: 24 hours and no replies? Rather worrying....
    Monday, February 21, 2011 1:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Danie,

Thanks for your reply.

According your answered, I think the default report tables be deleted. So we need to create the default the Folder and upload the report tales(.rdl file) into it.

How to create the Folder and upload the .rdl file, below is an example base on the MSF CMMI 5.0 template:

1        Expand the Team Project(created use the MSF CMMI 5.0 template), then right-click the Reports node and click Show Report Site… to open the Team Project report site. Click the New Folder to create following five Folders.

a:

2        Click each Folder to into it, then click Upload File to upload the .rdl file in each folder. All the .rdl files under the Reports folder in MSF CMMI 5.0 template folder. We can download this template by right-click Team Project Collection in Team Explorer>>Team Project Collection Setting>>Process Template Manager…>>selected which template you want to download and click the Download button. In this example, we selected MSF CMMI 5.0. To upload which .rdl files to which specified folder, look the following screenshot.

b:

c:

d:

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Danie Spreeth Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:56 AM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hi Danie,

Thanks for your reply.

I’m glad hear that you uploaded it completely.

For this error, please try to rebuild the Warehouse first, if rebuild can’t resolve this error, please refer to this post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/tfsreporting/thread/fc53be12-2ebd-41c8-a66a-ccd4437033fd. Check the data source at the report site.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:42 AM

All replies

• UPDATE:

I also attempted:

TfsConfig rebuildwarehouse /all

and after that ran without errors rebuilt everything from the WarehouseControlWebService again.

Still no data showing.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hi Danie,

Thanks for your post.

For this scenario, I want to confirm with you that: In Team Explorer, expand the Team Project, have the default report tables under Reports node?

If the default report tables display correctly, double-click it(example Bug Status), can it be opened successfully in VS?

John Qiao [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Hello John,

Thanks a bunch for the response - after 2 days since posting I was starting to get really worried. I spent more than 14 hours already trying to get this to work but no luck yet.

The default reports used to show and work last week still. I have no idea what changed to cause them to stop working AND not showing.

So, to answer your question, No - they do not show up in Team Explorer. What can I do?

Hope to hear from you very soon.

Danie.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:06 AM
  • Another thing I noticed and forgot to mention....

When using the WarehouseControlService to run the ProcessAnalysisDatabase and/or ProcessWarehouse command, this causes the SQL Server Analysis Service to stop. I then have to manually start it up again.

Surely this shouldn't happen...

NOTE: This does not happen everytime I run the Rebuild commands, but I definately have seen it happen quite a few times - at least 40-60% of the time.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Hi Danie,

Thanks for your reply.

According your answered, I think the default report tables be deleted. So we need to create the default the Folder and upload the report tales(.rdl file) into it.

How to create the Folder and upload the .rdl file, below is an example base on the MSF CMMI 5.0 template:

1        Expand the Team Project(created use the MSF CMMI 5.0 template), then right-click the Reports node and click Show Report Site… to open the Team Project report site. Click the New Folder to create following five Folders.

a:

2        Click each Folder to into it, then click Upload File to upload the .rdl file in each folder. All the .rdl files under the Reports folder in MSF CMMI 5.0 template folder. We can download this template by right-click Team Project Collection in Team Explorer>>Team Project Collection Setting>>Process Template Manager…>>selected which template you want to download and click the Download button. In this example, we selected MSF CMMI 5.0. To upload which .rdl files to which specified folder, look the following screenshot.

b:

c:

d:

John Qiao [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hello again John,

Thanks for the detailed steps - I really appreciate your assistance!

I created the folders and uploaded the reports (the Team Project I am working on we used the MSF Agile template - reports are almost exactly the same as CMMI so it was easy to follow your instructions)

After uploading the reports, I can now see them in Team Explorer, so that is ok now. When I try to run a report (any report) I get the following error:

The report server cannot process the report. The data source connection information has been deleted. (rsInvalidDataSourceReference)

What should I do next?

Danie.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Hi Danie,

Thanks for your reply.

I’m glad hear that you uploaded it completely.

For this error, please try to rebuild the Warehouse first, if rebuild can’t resolve this error, please refer to this post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/tfsreporting/thread/fc53be12-2ebd-41c8-a66a-ccd4437033fd. Check the data source at the report site.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Hi John,

While waiting for your response I found some forum posts explaining how to set up the data sources for the reports - and yes, they are finally working now! I had to manually reset the datasource for every report by opening it, clicking Properties - Data Sources and selecting the correct shared data source.

Thanks once again for your assistance!

Danie.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Hi Danie,

Thanks for your reply.

I’m glad to hear that you got it to work and thank you for sharing your experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members having the similar questions.

All your participation and support are very important to build such harmonious/ pleasant / learning environment for MSDN community.

Have a nice day!

John Qiao [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:58 AM