none
Visual Studio Code (community) Attempting to Write/Run Visual Basic (NOT VBA)

Question

• Hello, I am a newcomer to both Visual Studio (have never used any of the previous versions), and now I have downloaded and installed Visual Studio Code (the "community" version). So right off the bat, I have problems with this....such as:

1) The Microsoft Academy course for those who are utterly new to using Visual Studio and Visual Basic Programming is based on the 2015 version of Visual Studio (and, apparently, the instructor is not demonstrating with the stripped-down "community" freebie edition of 2015 at that!). So, when I try to run even the basic of basic, "Hello World" program I find that....

2) I am not getting the "intellisense" display depicted in the instructional video; and...

3) I discovered that there isn't an "intellisense extension" for Visual Basic that can be installed to give this functionality

4) the routines of choosing Templates does not (apparently...don't forget, I am a Newbie!) exist within V-S Code Community version. So I struggled for awhile and it seems that you have to open a NEW file, then immediately SAVE that file with the correct extension. This at least gets you into the correct mode (I think.....) when you re-open that empty file and start to write code....

5) When I tried to soldier on and debug my program I was assaulted by messages saying that I have to create various Nodes and so forth. Now, excuse me, this is supposed to be "basic" and "community" and "absolute beginner" stuff. It seems that I required to have a rather substantial base of knowledge in hand just to write "Hello World". At this point, I really think that the more appropriate message to be displayed by this little snippet of code would be, "Goodbye, Cruel World"

Monday, February 5, 2018 4:14 AM

All replies

• I think your problems will be solved by downloading Visual Studio 2017 Community. NOT Visual Studio Code which is a completely different program. The Community Edition  is almost the same as Pro (it is not stripped down at all) and differs mostly by license.

Mary

Monday, February 5, 2018 4:23 AM
  • See Documentation for Visual Studio Code. It says:

It comes with built-in support for JavaScript, TypeScript and Node.js and has a rich ecosystem of extensions for other languages (such as C++, C#, Java, Python, PHP, Go) and runtimes (such as .NET and Unity).

Nothing about VB.Net. So perhaps it is possible to add VB.Net but other than that, no, VB.Net won't work. Visual Studio Code is designed to work in multiple platforms; I don't know about VB.Net but it is probably not available in all platforms.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, February 5, 2018 7:11 AM
  • Hi Wile-E-Coyote,

Here is the link about downloading Visual Studio 2017, you can follow the steps above.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/install-visual-studio

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:41 AM
  • Thanks to those who have replied, indicating that I should install Visual Studio Community instead.

I have done that and posted another blurb on the Developer site indicating that Vis-Studio Comm does not solve my problems, Being...

1) when I Open an existing Visual Basic program that I KNOW works, it appears with Intellisense in VS-Code but it has no 'Intellisense' in Vis-Studio Comm.

2) There is no sort of "template" support in Vis-Studio Comm.

3) There would appear to be no debugging support for Visual Basic and running the De-bug on the aforementioned (known, good, operable) code results in error messages to that effect.

All of which is very frustrating of course.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:02 PM
  • Hi

Which version of VS was your 'Visual Basic program' developed on?

It isn't VB6 code is it?

Looking in the source code folders, do you see a File called Form1.vb?

If so, open in notepad, copy and paste in this thread. If not, are there any .vb files present? If so, copy/paste one of them here.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:14 PM
  • 1) when I Open an existing Visual Basic program that I KNOW works, it appears with Intellisense in VS-Code but it has no 'Intellisense' in Vis-Studio Comm.

You originally posted that Visual Studio Code was not providing Intellisense.  You are now saying that Visual Studio Code is providing Intellisense, but Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition is not. Are you talking about Intellisense, or Auto-complete:

How have you proved that the VB project that you are opening works?

Thursday, February 8, 2018 11:20 PM
  • Hello, comrades....

Sorry for any confusion, which I will now try to remedy:

1) I have VB code which is running a microprocessor (similar to Arduino). This was supplied by another developer, with the intent that I should modify it to provide additional functions. So, I "know it works"

2) when I open that code in V-S Code, it appears indented and so forth (Structured) and I understand that the structured display is the role of Intellisense. So "VS code has intellisense", when it is displaying code.

3) when I tried to write code in intellisense, using the simplest "Hello World" example, there is no structure / Intellisense

4) When I try to write simple "hello world" code in V-S Community, it does have some auto-complete functionality but it is 'unstructured' and attempt to de-bug results in error messages (not bug messages, but it reports errors in actually running the debugger).

Hope this clarifies things.

• Proposed as answer by AcamarMVP Friday, February 9, 2018 2:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by AcamarMVP Friday, February 9, 2018 2:20 AM
    Friday, February 9, 2018 2:02 AM
  • 1) I have VB code which is running a microprocessor (similar to Arduino). This was supplied by another developer, with the intent that I should modify it to provide additional functions. So, I "know it works"

2) when I open that code in V-S Code, it appears indented and so forth (Structured) and I understand that the structured display is the role of Intellisense. So "VS code has intellisense", when it is displaying code.

3) when I tried to write code in intellisense, using the simplest "Hello World" example, there is no structure / Intellisense

4) When I try to write simple "hello world" code in V-S Community, it does have some auto-complete functionality but it is 'unstructured' and attempt to de-bug results in error messages (not bug messages, but it reports errors in actually running the debugger).

VB code which runs Arduino will not run in Visual Studio.   Indenting is only one small part of intellisense - the important bit is that it picks up the definitions for the framework classes, properties and methods, and displays them in a box when that item is highlighted - as per the above example.   If you create the simplest 'Hello World' example in Visual Studio then you should see Intellisense similar to the image above.

If you are opening that code in Visual Studio then it is likely it is opening as text - VS handles many type of files, but intellisense will only be applied to files recognised as VB source code.   If you have VB code in a plain text file you need to import it into a project code editor window for it to be recognised and formatted as code - as per the example image.  For your Hello World example you should show the code you have written and the exact error messages you are getting when you attempt to run that code.

Any further question re Visual Code should be asked in the Visual Code forum.

Friday, February 9, 2018 2:28 AM