none
Visual Studio Professional 2017 "has stopped working" after trying to load solution. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I installed Visual Studio Professional 2017 and tried to load the solutions from 2 different pre-existing projects. For both projects, I got the errors "Visual Studio has stopped working".

My colleague is able to open the solutions without any problems, so it seems like a problem with Visual Studio on my machine. 

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Visual Studio and restarting my machine, but that did not work either. Previously I had Visual Studio Enterprise which worked fine. The problem was introduced during or after installing Visual Studio Professional.

Additional diagnostic test: I could build the solution with the VS MSBuild.exe utility.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hello Joyce,

Thank you for the response! I was finally able to diagnose and solve the problem.

It turns out that .NET framework 4.7.1 was a required component for the updates for Windows and Visual Studio. But this component was not selected by default by the Visual Studio installer. The combination of packages I selected only installed 4.5.1, 4.6.1 and .NET core. After installing .NET framework 4.7.1, I was able to load the solution without any issues.

I have Windows 10 version 1703 and Visual Studio Professional 2017 version 15.6.0.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Try to deleting the solution's .suo file, you can get it in file Explorer: solution name\.vs\project name \v15.

Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\professional\Common7\IDEand run these commands:

devenv /safemode

It prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution. if it works, this issue should be caused by the extensions and you need to remove the installed extensions under Tools—Extensions and Updates.

I need your help to gather the logs. Please run the command: devenv /log in the evaluated command prompt. And upload the file (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml) to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 7:19 AM
  • Hello Joyce,

Thank you for the response! I was finally able to diagnose and solve the problem.

It turns out that .NET framework 4.7.1 was a required component for the updates for Windows and Visual Studio. But this component was not selected by default by the Visual Studio installer. The combination of packages I selected only installed 4.5.1, 4.6.1 and .NET core. After installing .NET framework 4.7.1, I was able to load the solution without any issues.

I have Windows 10 version 1703 and Visual Studio Professional 2017 version 15.6.0.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:58 PM
  • Can you add step y step of how you did this? I am getting the same message and I do not completely understand how you resolved it.
    Friday, August 2, 2019 6:35 PM