none
Missing Documentation on AdminDeployment.xml RRS feed

• Question

• I have read already:

What I am missing is a page where each SelectableItemCustomization entry is explained.

I wanted to create a Visual Studio setup with everything except the SQL Server Express Edition (but all tools because every developer has already a full SQL Server installed).

After numerous tryouts I think the following AdminDeployment.xml should get it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <AdminDeploymentCustomizations xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2011/AdminDeployment">
       <BundleCustomizations TargetDir="default" NoWeb="yes"/>

<SelectableItemCustomizations>
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="WebTools" Hidden="no" Selected="yes"/>
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="OfficeTools" Hidden="no" Selected="yes"/>
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="SharepointTools" Hidden="no" Selected="yes"/>
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="LightSwitch" Hidden="no" Selected="yes"/>
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="SilverLight_Developer_Kit" Hidden="no" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="SQL" Hidden="no" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="VC_MFC_Libraries" Hidden="no" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="Blend" Hidden="no" Selected="yes" />

<SelectableItemCustomization Id="BlissHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="HelpHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="IntelliTraceUltimateHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="LocalDBHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="NetFX4Hidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="NetFX45Hidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="PortableDTPHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="PreEmptiveDotfuscatorHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="PreEmptiveAnalyticsHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="ProfilerHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="ReportingHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="RIAHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="SDKTools3Hidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="SDKTools4Hidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="Silverlight5DRTHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="SQLCEHidden" Selected="no" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="SQLCEToolsHidden" Selected="no" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="SQLCLRTypesHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="SQLDACHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="SQLDbProviderHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="SQLDOMHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="SQLSharedManagementObjectsHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="StoryboardingHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="TSQLHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="VCCompilerHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="VCCoreHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="VCDebugHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="VCDesigntimeHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="VCExtendedHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="WCFDataServicesHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="WinJSHidden" Selected="yes" />
         <SelectableItemCustomization Id="WinSDKHidden" Selected="yes" />
      </SelectableItemCustomizations>

</AdminDeploymentCustomizations>

SQL needs to stay active but SQLCEHidden and SQLCEToolsHidden need to be set to unselected. Is this correct for my wanted setup?

What I would like to see:

• More documentation on each entry (what will be installed when enabling it).
    • Reveal the relationship between the entries (e.g. what will happen if I disable the item with the id "SQL", will this still install the tools?).

Kind Regards
    Michael

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:19 PM

Answers

• Are you having a problem specifically, or just want further clarification on the options?

We do not document which packages are in which items because the packages themselves are not documented and most often do not standalone. The grouping is established when we authored the VS2012 bundles.

Rest assured, though, you can deselect and select items as you want. Some packages may be shared between items because they are necessary for both, so if you deselect an item and select other items with shared functionality we will install that shared functionality. So selecting items as you describes should be safe for you to do.

- Heath @ http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths; Visual Studio Professional Deployment

Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Not installing those features using the Admin file should result in just that: SQL Server isn't installed. Is that not what you're seeing?

Also, it's worth mentioning that the brunt of the files installed are global for all instances of SQL, so even if there is a problem (and we can still try to sort that out) it shouldn't result in a significant impact to disk space.

Friday, August 24, 2012 6:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post.

"SQL needs to stay active but SQLCEHidden and SQLCEToolsHidden need to be set to unselected."

I'm afraid that is not right option.

We do not know SQL version on your target machine. It is hard for me to say if Visual Studio will need those SQL components.

I recommend you choose all components as selected so that VS won't meet any error.

That is because Express can be installed side by side with other version.

In case if you need to know what will the components mean.

Take SQLCE as a example, this page shows what it means http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/ff687142.aspx

For more details about SQL, I recommend you have a look at this page

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144275(v=sql.105).aspx

Or you can ask here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlsetupandupgrade/threads

Regards

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:23 AM
  • Thanks for your answer

Installing a component that nobody from our development team needs and that will cause some irritations and problems (because someday one will choose the wrong local sql server instance) is not the right way for me.

In the former VS installer (2010 editions) with its treesize control it was much easier to unselect certain components.

The official guidelines for doing unattented setup want me to edit this file, but the documentation about its content is missing. Now there are such entries like "LocalDBHidden" and "BlissHidden" that I want to know what they are doing.

If this is the wrong place for asking that documentation, should I make a support ticket or an item at connect?

Kind Regards
    Michael

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Yes, you can create a feedback on Connect for this issue.

But I've found LocalDB article here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh510202.aspx

I haven't found Bliss description either.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:06 AM
  • I had this same problem with our installation. I changed the setting to selected="no" for LocalDBHidden and SQLCEHidden. This will disable the Express LocalDB instance and the SQL Compact Edition.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Are you having a problem specifically, or just want further clarification on the options?

We do not document which packages are in which items because the packages themselves are not documented and most often do not standalone. The grouping is established when we authored the VS2012 bundles.

Rest assured, though, you can deselect and select items as you want. Some packages may be shared between items because they are necessary for both, so if you deselect an item and select other items with shared functionality we will install that shared functionality. So selecting items as you describes should be safe for you to do.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Thank you for your answer

My specific problem was to get rid of any SQL Server instance installation during Visual Studio (because there is already a full version installed and therefor no need for another instance)
    This seems to be possible with SQLCEHidden, SQLCEToolsHidden, LocalDBHidden.

But in general I also want to minimize the installation size. Our developers have a SSD as system drive, most of them are 64GB ones.
    Biggest folder on the drives are the Windows (26GB), both Program Files (10GB) and the page file (8GB). On a typical system that leaves (including every other stored files) between 4 and 8 GB of free space. For the first months we will have both VS2010 and VS2012 installed so disk space is a criterion for me.

Another important point is, that I dont want to install components that are never used. But to know this, a documentation about the package content (described with 2-3 sentences) would be nice.

Friday, August 24, 2012 6:39 AM
  • Not installing those features using the Admin file should result in just that: SQL Server isn't installed. Is that not what you're seeing?

Also, it's worth mentioning that the brunt of the files installed are global for all instances of SQL, so even if there is a problem (and we can still try to sort that out) it shouldn't result in a significant impact to disk space.

Friday, August 24, 2012 6:58 PM