none
Shell namespace extension RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I know it has already been asked tons of times but... does anyone have a FULLY FUNCTIONAL sample on how to develop a shell namespace extension in .NET?

I found many articles that warn not to develop NSE in .NET and many others containing old samples, but I'd like to try anyway. I found the All-In-One Code Framework, but it doesn't offer a .NET IShellFolder implementation yet.

I finally found this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc188741.aspx. I downloaded the source code and built it without errors, but it doesn't work. No folder shows up in Explorer, and no error is reported. If I place a Debugger.Break call or a messagebox in the class constructor, the taskbar doesn't load. I am not even able to debug, so I don't understand what's going wrong.

I understand that someone managed to have it work somehow, can anyone tell me how?

Thanks in advance

Luca

Thursday, January 27, 2011 4:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Luca,

In .NET 4, with the ability to have multiple runtimes in process with any other runtime, this specific limitation is no longer an issue.  However, this programming scenario has not been fully tested by the Windows Shell team and there are other known issues.  It is not supported to write Windows Shell Extension using .NET 4 today.

Also you can read the reply.

Is it supported to write Windows Shell Extension using .NET 4 today?

Cookie Luo[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by eryang Monday, February 7, 2011 3:13 AM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:13 AM
  • Hi Cookie Luo,

thank you very much for your answer, I was almost certain this was the only answer possible...

Just for the sake of knowledge, what are the other known issues you're referring to?

Thanks again,

Luca

Monday, January 31, 2011 8:35 AM
  • Hi

You can read the thread which is in the link I provide.

Cookie Luo[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 31, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Hi again,
    I had a quick look at that thread before asking, but as far as I understand they're always referring to the injection issue.

I am indeed interested in the answer to the last question of the thread: given I am able to create a namespace extension in .NET 4.0, what are the (known) problems that can arise?

Cheers

Luca

Monday, January 31, 2011 9:55 AM
  • The known problems is that the problem is unknown, we didn't test .NET managed shell extension a lot, so we don't know what problems it brings to us.

Eric Yang [MSFT]

Monday, February 7, 2011 3:13 AM