What is the meaning of State for different Requirements with CMMI?

Question

• We're using TFS 2015, on-premise. Our projects follow the CMMI project paradigm.  I've been creating some new requirements. When I start working on them I'll set their state to Active. This all makes sense to me. But, I'm not entirely sure what the meaning is of Resolved vs. Closed. I've been using Resolved when I finish working on a requirement. Note: this doesn't necessarily mean a bug, just a requirement. I thought that would in essence set the requirement as being finished. But when I go to my dashboard and see the Open Requirements widget, I see those requirements there that I've marked as Resolved. So, should I instead set their State to Closed? For that matter, what's the meaning of a Resolved state vs. a Closed state?

Rod

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Rod,

Please check the following diagram which show the default reason associated with the transition in Requirement work item type. When the active requirement is completed and system test passed, you can change the state to Resolved, after validation test passed, you can close this requirement.

More information, please refer to the link below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/work/work-items/guidance/choose-process

Best regards,

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 2:40 AM