none
Strange run-time error in MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll RRS feed

• Question

• We have an ancient VB6 program for which we have been, gradually, porting portions over to DotNet.  It works correctly on my Win-10 development machine, and on our Win-7 test machine.  However, when installed on one particular Win-7 (pro) client machine, it works until, at one particular point, it tries to set the caption for a VB6 menu (figured out after many rounds of adding diagnostics) and... boom... the application crashes and just "goes away", ignoring all attempts to catch the error.

After looking in the event log, I found the following:

Faulting application name - my application

Faulting module name: MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll, version 12.0.52519.0

Exception code 0xc0000005

After searching for the above-named dll, I can't find any downloads for that version (the "latest" downloadable version I found was 40664; so I can't even "repair" it with a new download (assuming it is has been corrupted).

Ideas anyone?

Thanks

Leonard Hampton

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:02 PM

Answers

• The caption is being set within VB6.  I posted this last night after about 4 hours of working on it and needing to leave for the night.  What I found this morning was that setting the caption caused a Form Load, and the App Fault was cause by a method called therein.  After another couple of hours of narrowing it down this morning, I believe it was the result of VB6 accessing a property on a dot-net object for which it may not have had the latest version. After re-compiling the dot-net project and making sure VB6 was using the latest version, the problem nicely went away.

Thankfully, while I was adding diagnostics and testing locally, it started behaving badly on my dev machine - when it hit the problem, VB6.exe died and "went away" with no hint as to why; same message in the event log. That made the task much easier of finding the actual culprit code.

Thanks for looking a this and I'll mark it resolved.

Leonard Hampton

• Marked as answer by LeonardH Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:35 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hi LeonardH, 

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I have a question to confirm with you.

How do you set the caption for a VB6 menu in .NET?

I find that MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll is a system dll, and the following reference may helpful.

MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:01 AM
  • The caption is being set within VB6.  I posted this last night after about 4 hours of working on it and needing to leave for the night.  What I found this morning was that setting the caption caused a Form Load, and the App Fault was cause by a method called therein.  After another couple of hours of narrowing it down this morning, I believe it was the result of VB6 accessing a property on a dot-net object for which it may not have had the latest version. After re-compiling the dot-net project and making sure VB6 was using the latest version, the problem nicely went away.

Thankfully, while I was adding diagnostics and testing locally, it started behaving badly on my dev machine - when it hit the problem, VB6.exe died and "went away" with no hint as to why; same message in the event log. That made the task much easier of finding the actual culprit code.

Thanks for looking a this and I'll mark it resolved.

Leonard Hampton

• Marked as answer by LeonardH Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:35 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:35 PM