none
Windows Error Reporting DontShowUI

Question

• Hi, I'm trying to run some web tests using the Visual Studio Test task (vstest.console.exe) version 2.*.  The following message is displayed:

Windows Error Reporting DontShowUI not set, if the windows error dialog pops-up in the middle of UI test execution than the test will hang

How is that message avoided?

Using VS 2017 Enterprise with .Net Framework version 4.6.1.  "Microsoft.TestPlatform.TestHost" is version 15.5.

Thursday, January 04, 2018 1:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Davelll,

As far as I know, Visual Studio Community is not support Web Load & Performance Testing.

Reference: https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/compare/

So, I suggest you use Developer Command Prompt for VS 2017 Enterprise, and update it to v15.5.2, test it again.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DaveIII Tuesday, January 09, 2018 3:06 AM
    Tuesday, January 09, 2018 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Davelll,

What’s your computer’s windows edition?

I create a web test, use vstest.console.exe to run the test on my windows 10 Enterprise computer, it works well.

Based on your description, your problem is related to Windows Error Reporting, please have a try disable the DontShowUI settings, check the result.

Please set the DontShowUI registry value to 1 to disable any UI of Windows Event Reporting on your computer. Windows Error Report settings are located in one of the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb513638(VS.85).aspx

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 04, 2018 5:10 AM
  • Hi, I'm trying to run some web tests using the Visual Studio Test task (vstest.console.exe) version 2.*.  The following message is displayed:

No test is available in C:\agent\_work\1\s\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Make sure that installed test discoverers & executors, platform & framework version settings are appropriate and try again.

How is that message avoided?

Using VS 2017 Enterprise with .Net Framework version 4.5.1.  "Microsoft.TestPlatform.TestHost" is version 15.5.

Thursday, January 04, 2018 5:27 AM
  • Thanks Judyzh.

The build server is running Windows 2012.  

I'll try the registry suggestion tomorrow.  

Thursday, January 04, 2018 5:32 AM
  • Hi Davelll,

Hope my reply could help you, looking forward your reply.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

Friday, January 05, 2018 2:03 AM
  • Hi Davelll,

How did you use vstest.console.exe to run web tests?

I test it in my side, and it works well.

Please provide the details information that could be better help us to repro it.

>> No test is available in C:\agent\_work\1\s\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Make sure that installed test discoverers & executors, platform & framework version settings are appropriate and try again

Please have a look at following link, it describes the similar problems.

https://github.com/Microsoft/nodejstools/issues/852

In addition, is the following post about the same question? If yes, I'm going to merge them.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/18700da8-1861-4992-836e-da8b632f65c5/windows-error-reporting-dontshowui?forum=vsunittest#18700da8-1861-4992-836e-da8b632f65c5

How about your test result? Please feel free contact with us if you have any questions. And if my reply could help you, please help to mark it as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

Friday, January 05, 2018 5:39 AM
  • Hi Judyzh,

Thank you for the extremely detailed and helpful documentation.  I was using a different folder/command line than you so it is very helpful. 

Decided to follow your advice to see if the command would run from my desktop (windows 10).  It looks like I'm running a different version than you.  I'm not getting the full response you get.  The tests don't seem to be executed. 

Reluctant to upgrade the version at this late stage in the project. 

Any suggestions? 

Saturday, January 06, 2018 1:37 AM
  • Yes, this could be treated as a duplicate if you prefer and it can be merged. Thanks.
    Saturday, January 06, 2018 2:00 AM
  • Hi Davelll,

>>The tests don't seem to be executed. 

Please open Developer Command Prompt as administrator, go to project debug location (not go to vstest.console.exe tool location), then, execute command like below:

How about the result?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\vstest.console.exe” WebTest1.webtest

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

Monday, January 08, 2018 1:53 AM
  • Hi Judyzh,

I appreciate your patience on this.  Please don't give up on me. 

I think the following represents what you asked although I substituted "Enterprise" for "Community". 

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 12:03 AM
  • Hi Davelll,

As far as I know, Visual Studio Community is not support Web Load & Performance Testing.

Reference: https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/compare/

So, I suggest you use Developer Command Prompt for VS 2017 Enterprise, and update it to v15.5.2, test it again.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by DaveIII Tuesday, January 09, 2018 3:06 AM
    Tuesday, January 09, 2018 2:53 AM
  • I am using the Enterprise version.  The example you provided included the word "Community" and that folder is not on my box.

It will be awhile before I can upgrade to 15.5.2 so I will go ahead and mark your response as the answer.  Thanks for all the great responses and documentation.  Have a great new year!  

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 3:06 AM
  • FYI - An upgrade did not solve the issue.  Instead, the following menu option solved it:

Test => Test Settings => Default Processor Architecture => X64

Thanks!  

Tuesday, April 03, 2018 12:44 AM