none
Can't see My Templates (VS 2012 Update 3)

Question

• I've installed VS 2012 Update 3 Ultimate. In my "..\Users\username\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Templates\ItemTemplates\Visual C#" folder is an item template saved (as described by http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tsyyf0yh.aspx). I saw this template some time ago under "My Templates" when I added a new item to a project.

Now, the "My Templates" section in the "Add New Item" dialog is not available any more, so aren't my templates.

I exported a new template, having the "Automatically import the template into Visual Studio" checked. To my surprise, the export copied the template file to "..\Users\username\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Templates\ItemTemplates" (not into the "Visual C#" sub-directory). And still, I do not have a "My Templates" section. A restart of VS did not change anything.

Can someone give me a hint how to get my templates back?

Thanks,

Stefan

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Stefan,

You could create a new folder “My Templates” under C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Templates\ItemTemplates\Visual C#, and then export your template with the Export Template Wizrd, you would get the .zip file under the path C:\Users\xxx \Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Templates\ItemTemplates, you could copy the .zip folder to the path: C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Templates\ItemTemplates\Visual C#\My Templates, and then you would get it if you add a new item like the following screen shot.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by rstg Thursday, July 4, 2013 9:57 AM
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Stefan,

You could create a new folder “My Templates” under C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Templates\ItemTemplates\Visual C#, and then export your template with the Export Template Wizrd, you would get the .zip file under the path C:\Users\xxx \Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Templates\ItemTemplates, you could copy the .zip folder to the path: C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Templates\ItemTemplates\Visual C#\My Templates, and then you would get it if you add a new item like the following screen shot.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by rstg Thursday, July 4, 2013 9:57 AM
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 9:06 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks for your answer. Creating a "My Templates" folder under the "Visual C#" worked for my Visual C# Windows projects, but unfortunately not for my current Windows Store (XAML/C#) project (I haven't checked the other Visual C# projects types like Web, Office Cloud, ...).

Where do I have to create the "My Templates" folder for Windows Store project types?

Thanks,

Stefan

• Edited by rstg Thursday, July 4, 2013 9:58 AM tried to make the question clear
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Hi Stefan,

If you want to create the web or other items in Visual C#, you could create a folder “Web”, and then copy the .zip file to the folder “Web”, you would get it when you add a new item.

Generally it will work well, but for the windows 8 app, it seems that it is different from the other templates, so my suggestion is that you could post this issue to the specific development forum for this issue, I think you would get better support.

You could select the correct forum from here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/home?category=windowsapps

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Friday, July 5, 2013 6:00 AM
  • Hi Jack,

kind of unexpected...

For those who want to follow the thread: I posted the question here.

Best Regards,

Stefan

Friday, July 5, 2013 8:37 AM