none
VS 2013 RC Hangs when Opening Any Solution

Question

• I have run these projects and solutions in VS 2013 RC for about two weeks now without any problem. Starting yesterday, whenever I try and open a solution, VS hangs and I get a Alert Message saying: 

Microsoft Visual Studio is Busy

Microsoft Visual Studio is waiting for an internal preparation to complete. Etc. 

If I create a new project, the project will open immediately after I have created it just fine. If I then reopen visual studio and attempt to open that same solution, it hangs as it does with any other existing solution. 

If I run Visual Studio in safe mode, solutions open without hanging. 

Have reset all settings for Visual Studio, no luck. 

I have re-installed Visual Studio 2013 RC clean with no extra packages, but the problem persists. 

Solutions all open in previous versions of Visual Studio. 

This is a big time blocking issue. 

Saturday, October 12, 2013 7:54 PM

Answers

• While I was unable to identify the exact cause of the problem, the source was the Microsoft GIT source control plugin. My best guess is that Visual Studio Team Foundation was attempting to connect to the repositories for the project I as loading, and was unable to do so, causing a perpetual hang. Since there was no time-out, no warning that this is what was occurring, or any other sort of indication, it was difficult to debug. Workaround was disabling the Microsoft GIT Source control plugin, which I was not using in any case. 

This may still be an issue for other users, and I have not been able to identify the exact cause of the issue, so not marking as answered. 

www.gorillatactic.com www.kingrandallspaty.com

Monday, October 14, 2013 4:11 PM

All replies

• While I was unable to identify the exact cause of the problem, the source was the Microsoft GIT source control plugin. My best guess is that Visual Studio Team Foundation was attempting to connect to the repositories for the project I as loading, and was unable to do so, causing a perpetual hang. Since there was no time-out, no warning that this is what was occurring, or any other sort of indication, it was difficult to debug. Workaround was disabling the Microsoft GIT Source control plugin, which I was not using in any case. 

This may still be an issue for other users, and I have not been able to identify the exact cause of the issue, so not marking as answered. 

www.gorillatactic.com www.kingrandallspaty.com

Monday, October 14, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Yes, I also have the problem & disabling the Git source control provider (ie set Current source control to "None") fixes it.

It could be noted that this only started happening after a Windows Update over this weekend (Oct 13-14)

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:04 AM
  • Hi Jesse,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Microsoft Visual Studio is Busy.

I have met the similar issue before, it is hard to get the real reason for this issue, for example, it is related to the Environment configuration or certain add-in or the task manager is really busy or the VS setup/settings or others.

Reference:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/693392cf-da42-4225-bce4-447ac949de3e/microsoft-visual-studio-is-busy?forum=vsdebug

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/779307/microsoft-visual-studio-is-busy

As you said that it works well after you disable a plug-in, I think it would resolve your issue now, so I will close and mark your reply as the answer, if it has this issue again, please feel free to let us know. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:33 AM