none
Having trouble using .runsettings file in TFS 2015 Run Functional Tests vNext build step RRS feed

• Question

• I have a vNext build in TFS 2015 that uses Run Functional Tests (RFT). I am using this to run automated tests using a Test Plan/Test Suite.  It is very difficult to find good information on how to use this build step.

I am having some problems and am hoping someone can help.  My .runsettings file uses the MSTest element to load a .testsettings file.  I had been just specifying the .testsettings file for the RFT step and it has worked fine.  However, I am facing a need to pass parameters to my test assembly.  Seems like the only way to do this is using the parameters with .runsettings.  So, I created a .runsettings with my params and specified it for the RFT build step.  However, my test assembly is not receiving the parameters in the TestContext.  Can someone tell how I can get this to work? 

BTW, I know RFT has been deprecated in newer versions of TFS, but that doesn't matter since my company is still using TFS 2015, so I have to use it in order to run Test Suites. 

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 8:04 PM

Answers

• hi,

Sorry for this inconvenience.

The discussion for TFS has moved. In the development community and stack overflow, there are many professional engineers and community members to help you to solve various issues which are related to TFS. I really hope your issues will solved.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Ken Varn Thursday, April 18, 2019 12:18 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Ken,

Thank you for posting here.

Our forum is discussing unit test in VS IDE(test explore, unit test,fakes, sturbs, mocking techniques). So we suggest you could go to stack overflow and development community with TFS tag for better support. Thank you for understanding.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Honestly, I think Microsoft has made the MSDN support forums much more difficult to use with how they have separated the forums into different systems.  It has been very frustrating to try and locate the correct forum for these type of questions.  The MSDN forums used to all be in the same system and it was much easier to find the correct support forum than it is now.

Thanks for you help and sorry for the misunderstanding.  

Thursday, April 11, 2019 1:06 PM
  • hi,

Sorry for this inconvenience.

The discussion for TFS has moved. In the development community and stack overflow, there are many professional engineers and community members to help you to solve various issues which are related to TFS. I really hope your issues will solved.

Best Regards,

Dylan

• Marked as answer by Ken Varn Thursday, April 18, 2019 12:18 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 9:36 AM
  • This is true, but as an MSDN subscriber, I believe that MSDN forums related to Microsoft products had higher priority for being answered by Microsoft professionals. Sites like Stack Overflow are good resources, but I was under the impression that they are not priority forums for MSDN subscribers, unless that has changed.
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 12:21 PM