none
Is the "CPU Usage" tab of the Diagnostic Tools available absolutely and uncompromisingly only in Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• This is a follow-up of this question: "Error using VS 2015 diagnostic tools" (the link is "07429deb-658e-4ce8-8341-320123ae8470/error-using-vs-2015-diagnostic-tools?forum=vsdebug" after https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US). I installed Update 3 of VS2015 months ago and I got the same problem. Then I followed the answer there by deleting .suo file and the CPU usage plot comes out again above the "CPU Usage" tab. I run into this problem because I made up my mind to learn to use the profiling tools in VS2015. The "CPU Profiling while debugging is not available on this version of Windows." is a big frustration to me because I am using Windows 7 and I don't like the ugly Windows 10. I don't remember for sure if the "CPU Usage" was available before I installed Update 3 of VS2015 since it was always the "Events" tab that was shown below the CPU usage plot. So, is the "CPU Usage" tab available absolutely and uncompromisingly in Windows 10 only? If it is, I will give up studying profiling in VS2015 (until one day Windows 10 can take on the same look as Windows 7). If not, could you please tell me how to work around this frustrating error so that I can have a chance to use this profiling tool? Thanks in advance for your answer.
    Sunday, October 29, 2017 1:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Zhou Heng,

I have checked both Visual Studio 2015 on my Windows 7 and Windows 10 machine. The CPU Usage tab works fine on Windows 10 machine but prompt "CPU Profiling while debugging is not available on this version of Windows." on Windows 7 machine.

So I'm afraid that the CPU Usage tab in Diagnostic Tools is unavailable on Windows 7 machine. But you could use Debug -> Performance Profile to choose CPU Usage to learn to use the Profiling tools.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Zhou Heng Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:56 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 7:14 AM
  • Hi  Zhou Heng,

>> absolutely and uncompromisingly Win10 only?

No, it is not only supported on Windows 10. It also works on Windows 8. In other words, the CPU Usage tab in Diagnostic Tools are supported from Windows 8 and the higher version of Windows.

So if you don't like the Windows 10, you could use Windows 8. But on Windows 7, you could not use this feature.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Zhou Heng,

I have checked both Visual Studio 2015 on my Windows 7 and Windows 10 machine. The CPU Usage tab works fine on Windows 10 machine but prompt "CPU Profiling while debugging is not available on this version of Windows." on Windows 7 machine.

So I'm afraid that the CPU Usage tab in Diagnostic Tools is unavailable on Windows 7 machine. But you could use Debug -> Performance Profile to choose CPU Usage to learn to use the Profiling tools.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Monday, October 30, 2017 7:14 AM
  • Thank you but, is this the final answer, that is, absolutely and uncompromisingly Win10 only?
    • Edited by Zhou Heng Monday, October 30, 2017 7:54 PM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 7:52 PM
  • Hi  Zhou Heng,

>> absolutely and uncompromisingly Win10 only?

No, it is not only supported on Windows 10. It also works on Windows 8. In other words, the CPU Usage tab in Diagnostic Tools are supported from Windows 8 and the higher version of Windows.

So if you don't like the Windows 10, you could use Windows 8. But on Windows 7, you could not use this feature.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:13 AM