none
cannot convert parameter 4 from 'const char *' to 'LPCWSTR'_

Question

• I get this error:
    cannot convert parameter 4 from 'const char *' to 'LPCWSTR' 

when I do:

if ( (semaphore = CreateSemaphore(sa,initialCount,maximumCount,sName.c_str())) == NULL)
    {

}

sName is passed into this function as :

string& sName

How can I solve this?

Thanks

Friday, September 25, 2009 1:40 PM

Answers

• Try with

wstring& sName
    Friday, September 25, 2009 1:48 PM
  • LearnerMan1234 wrote:
    > I changed my project settings to Use Multibyte Character Set and all is ok.
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.

Yes, this will work, but not recommended for new coding. The native character
    set of Windows NT4/2000/XP/Vista/7... is 16-bit Unicode. There is usually no
    reason to use 8-bit strings in modern Windows coding.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hello Harry

The best practice is to either change string& sName to wstring& sName as Belloc suggested, or, if sName has to be declared as string&, call MultiByteToWideChar upon your sName.c_str() to convert the ansi string to Unicode, and pass the Unicode to the CreateSemaphore API.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
    Jialiang Ge
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 6:24 AM

All replies

• Try with

wstring& sName
    Friday, September 25, 2009 1:48 PM
  • I changed my project settings to Use Multibyte Character Set and all is ok.

Thanks for your reply.

Harry
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:28 PM
  • LearnerMan1234 wrote:
    > I changed my project settings to Use Multibyte Character Set and all is ok.
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.

Yes, this will work, but not recommended for new coding. The native character
    set of Windows NT4/2000/XP/Vista/7... is 16-bit Unicode. There is usually no
    reason to use 8-bit strings in modern Windows coding.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hello Harry

The best practice is to either change string& sName to wstring& sName as Belloc suggested, or, if sName has to be declared as string&, call MultiByteToWideChar upon your sName.c_str() to convert the ansi string to Unicode, and pass the Unicode to the CreateSemaphore API.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
    Jialiang Ge
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 6:24 AM